The Student Room Group

At what age is it weird to live at home?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelic03
I know someone who's almost 40 and she's lived with her parents her entire life. She lived at home at uni and drove to her lectures.

Not a red flag what-so-ever.
Reply 61
Original post by Bhumbauze
I think you have a fairly limited view of the parent-child relationship. There's absolutely no reason (at all) that a parent can't transition from a "caregiver" role into a "friendship" role with their offspring when they reach adulthood - and therefore no reason that someone can't "houseshare" with their parents whilst saving up the money for a house deposit of their own. Probably in a much nicer property, in more comfort and more cheaply than in a damp, dank "young adult" house share with some dodgy landlord. Really it's mainly down to the parents, I suppose. No one who is still acting like (and being treated like) a child with their parents should stay, for the good of their own personal development.

Paying keep... it depends. If I have plenty of cash I wouldn't expect my child to pay anything - especially if she was saving up for her own property. What would be the point? It would just be eating into those savings for no reason. If I'm not in a position to comfortably support everyone, and she's working, then I might want a share of bills, food etc... but, I'd never ask for rent of any kind. My home is my childrens' just as much as it is mine, and it always will be.

I disagree, when you're an adult your parents are still your parents but it's no longer their job to look after you. If you need a roof it should be offered but not as a lifestyle choice.

The point of charging keep is to give them incentive to move out of their parental home and teach them the responsibility involved with being an adult in that, living costs money and they must work and pay to have a roof over their head. It's not good for people to live with their parents for so long.
Not only that but when the kids are adults it's time to save for retirement and put in place long term investments, I believe the reason that so many people can't retire at 65 is because of the amount of support they give their offspring in adulthood.
It's a question of keeping their attitudes aimed toward being independant of parental support, something which the youth of today don't seem to quite have and something which parents don't seem to understand the importance of for both parties.

Anyway, 25 is plenty of time to save up a deposit on a house if living at home. Put what you'd pay on a mortgage monthly away for 2-3 years and you're able to get on the property ladder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Megaross
Anyway, 25 is plenty of time to save up a deposit on a house if living at home. Put what you'd pay on a mortgage monthly away for 2-3 years and you're able to get on the property ladder.

Your serious?? You think its easy to get a mortgage at the age of 25?!
Reply 63
My sister lived at home till she was 25 and it never even crossed my mind it was weird.

She finished uni, moved back, got a good job, got a boyfriend and paid a bit to my mum and dad every week. She moved into a house with her boyfriend last year. Suppose I never really saw it being weird as I always knew she planned to move in with her boyfriend when they could afford it. I really don't think it is unusual at all.
Reply 64
All of my sisters have been to uni and are still at home, the eldest being 25, but she's getting married in March.
Reply 65
Original post by iPhone
Your serious?? You think its easy to get a mortgage at the age of 25?!

If you're any good with money yeah, I've done calculations and I've researched how credit ratings work. Because I think people are just reluctant to get on the property ladder and plan for the long term.

Even on a graduate salary I should be able to obtain a mortgage with a good rate on a run down 2/3 bed in a reasonable area back home by the time I'm 24 with no financial help from external benefactors and be able to live comfortably whilst slowly rennovating at my own pace. Thats a 20% deposit and fees. Properties I'll be looking at don't qualify for stamp duty.
If I'm going to be paying £700 a month on a mortgage then I can save it easy enough as well when I'm getting the deposit together.

Depends where you priorities lie, some of my mates say they can't afford a mortgage so they rent. But they drive cars less than 3 years old and waste hundreds a month on pointless crap they don't need. I'd rather have my own place and live within my means.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
24 isn't old to be living at home.
Original post by Megaross

*******s. This assumes that you go straight from A-levels to degree at 18 (plenty of people start University at 19 or 20), that your degree is only 3 years long (plenty are 4 to 6 years) and that you go straight into a decent graduate job immediately after graduation (certainly not typical).

You're working based on ideals when, in the real world, life is far more complicated.
Reply 68
Original post by Bhumbauze
*******s. This assumes that you go straight from A-levels to degree at 18 (plenty of people start University at 19 or 20), that your degree is only 3 years long (plenty are 4 to 6 years) and that you go straight into a decent graduate job immediately after graduation (certainly not typical).

You're working based on ideals when, in the real world, life is far more complicated.

I did a levels for 3 years, started uni at 19, 3 year degree and it won't take long to get a job I've already gone out and found companies who are interested. I've been building up contacts and planning for post grad employment because money is one of the most important things in life, this is the reason I'm doing a degree because money matters. No one does business because they enjoy it because it's the most boring subject on the planet.

Most degrees are 3 years as well, 4 years if you really think a placement will help and 6 for a masters (which usually you cannot do without work experience for at least 2 years).
I think it downright insane some people live with their parents for so long, let alone take so long to get on the property ladder, if you aint getting a mortgage go rent for a few years it's wierd living with your parents in your late 20's being a fully grown adult, eating their food, using their electric. Especially without paying keep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iPhone
What happens if it was the opposite? Girl living at home? Would it still be unacceptable in your opinion?

Yes.
It's not that it's "unacceptable", I just wouldn't be attracted to somebody over the age of 18 who still relies on their parents to do things.
Reply 70
Well in countries where the word family actually has value it isn't uncommon to see 3 generations of a family sharing a property. Also staying at home doesn't mean you are dependant on your parent at all, especially if you are paying to stay at home, the extra money helps the parent in this ****ty economy.
Reply 71
Original post by philistine
Not a red flag what-so-ever.

what?! :hmmmm2:
Can't believe how shallow people are.

So what if they live at home? Who cares? You like somebody, doesn't matter what they have or don't or where they live.

Society these days jesus.

I mean err.... SAD BASTARD. Its not as if it's tough economic times or anything!!!!

I mean whys he living at home saving lots of money or saving for a house deposit when he could be struggling to cope with rising mortgages.

What a douche!
I'm Indian (sikh) and in my culture all kids are expected to live at home until they get married. If it's a boy, then the guy's wife will move into the family home and live there for probably 2 years and then they'll get a house themselves.

I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Probably get married at about 26...
I think it could be quite endearing!

Past the age of 25 I think it might be a bit odd though
Reply 75
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Can't believe how shallow people are.

So what if they live at home? Who cares? You like somebody, doesn't matter what they have or don't or where they live.

Society these days jesus.

I mean err.... SAD BASTARD. Its not as if it's tough economic times or anything!!!!

I mean whys he living at home saving lots of money or saving for a house deposit when he could be struggling to cope with rising mortgages.

What a douche!

True say

Original post by The Entity
I'm Indian (sikh) and in my culture all kids are expected to live at home until they get married. If it's a boy, then the guy's wife will move into the family home and live there for probably 2 years and then they'll get a house themselves.

I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Probably get married at about 26...

Yeah pretty much standard within our culture.
My boyfriend is 23 and has never moved out of his home. He has a single bed, football posters, even the odd teddy bear! :colondollar: I don't find it weird that he lives at home. He lives in the loft conversion and has it pretty good there to be honest. The thing I DO find weird is his lack of ambition to move out at all...he is on enough money to move out and still live comfortably. I'd be straight out, but he doesn't really care. Each to their own I guess...

I live at home for uni at the moment, so I can't really talk. But as soon as I am on enough money to be able to move out, I plan to. My boyfriend's uncle is about 50 and has never left home.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alison1992
the single bed thing is weird
the living at home thing isn't exactly ideal or attractive but not too weird

Single bed wierd? LOL

I have a single because if I had a double it would literally be the only thing that could fit in the room.
Nothing at all wrong with it, especially nowadays. There's no place like home :smile:
all depends on funds to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending