The Student Room Group

At what age is it weird to live at home?

I've recently started seeing a guy, and he seem's really nice. But I can't help thinking it's a little weird that he lives at home, aged 24. I know plenty of grads move back in after uni, but he's never moved out at all. He occupies a single bed in a little room that looks like it belongs to a teenage boy. He's worked full time since he graduated so I don't understand what he did with his money, or why he's never felt the desire to spend it on moving out.

Do you think this is weird? What age is too old to be living with your parents?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by harmony23
I've recently started seeing a guy, and he seem's really nice. But I can't help thinking it's really weird that he lives at home, aged 24. I know plenty of grads move back in after uni, but he's never moved out at all. He occupies a single bed in a little room that looks like it belongs to a teenage boy. He's worked full time since he graduated (though has been employed for about two months) so I don't understand what he did with his money, or why he's never felt the desire to spend it on moving out.

in this economy it's smart
It is not particularly unusual, but I wouldn't find that appealing in a man.
It's smart....

Pay £800 a month rent.

Or save £800 a month.

Stay at home for as long as yo ucan and save as much as you can.
Reply 4
I've recently started seeing a guy, and he seem's really nice. But I can't help thinking it's really weird that he lives at home, aged 24. I know plenty of grads move back in after uni, but he's never moved out at all. He occupies a single bed in a little room that looks like it belongs to a teenage boy. He's worked full time since he graduated (though has been employed for about two months) so I don't understand what he did with his money, or why he's never felt the desire to spend it on moving out.

I think 40+ would be a bit weird :cool:
I don't think 24 is that old to still be at home... If it were me though, I'd definitely be trying to move, it's a bit strange that he hasn't. But then, maybe he's saving to try and put down a deposit on something rather than rent? :smile: I've got a 30 year old cousin that's never moved out or had any paid work. Now THAT'S weird. :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
It's smart....

Pay £800 a month rent.

Or save £800 a month.

Stay at home for as long as yo ucan and save as much as you can.

We're talking the north-west here, I've never paid more than £300pcm.
Reply 7
I dunno, it's a lil harsh you're making a thread behind the back of this guy you've just started seeing. Bit harsh...
Reply 8
35+ that would be "weird"
But I think 25+ is also kinda weird
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

I'm 27 and I'm living at home. My room still has football posters from when I was 10, and there's cupboards and drawers full of old toys.

Is this weird?

Do I care if it is?

Should you care?

The fact that you're even asking on a forum shows that you're one of those people easily influenced by society, and the guy is probably better off without you.

Suprisingly not. Particularly with this economy.
the single bed thing is weird
the living at home thing isn't exactly ideal or attractive but not too weird
Reply 12
I'm 23, live at home when I'm not at university and have The Moomins bedsheets. Problem?

It's certainly not unusual these days, but personally I wouldn't date a guy that still lived at home. Especially if his mum makes his dinner and does his laundry etc.
Reply 14
Only dumb people would live out when there's no need to in these tough economic times.
Reply 15
Its not unusual now, especially because of the financial crisis and the average age of first time buyers getting on to the property ladder rising. So naturally, more people are living with their parents, particularly those returning from university.
Reply 16
Original post by Popppppy
It's certainly not unusual these days, but personally I wouldn't date a guy that still lived at home. Especially if his mum makes his dinner and does his laundry etc.

What happens if it was the opposite? Girl living at home? Would it still be unacceptable in your opinion?
We're talking the north-west here, I've never paid more than £300pcm.

For what space? 1 bed + living space and kitche/toilet... ?!!?
Reply 18
I'm 56 and still live at home

But not really. This thread reminds of the movie 'Step Brothers'
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rant
I'm 27 and I'm living at home. My room still has football posters from when I was 10, and there's cupboards and drawers full of old toys.

Is this weird?

Do I care if it is?

Should you care?

The fact that you're even asking on a forum shows that you're one of those people easily influenced by society, and the guy is probably better off without you.

But someday a girl might like you....she'd run a mile once she saw the Star Wars duvet cover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending