The Student Room Group

Living situation

Got a bit of a weird situation where I’ve lived at home my whole life, I’m now 24 but don’t have enough to buy a house and not really enough to rent or anyone to rent with. My partner lives near me but I’m confused about what he wants because one minute he said we should move in together gradually but then the next minute he says I can have a key and we can split the costs half way or I stay and pay per night but then I’ve got my family wanting money from me for bills but then I tend to go to my partner’s a lot and stay over in the week and he’s not there at the weekend (which is annoying but that’s the way it seems to be) so then if I lived there, I may want to come back home for the weekend, so how on earth do I split the costs according to this and save enough money for my own future house whether rented or bought? I do prefer living here and it’s the same distance to work. Parking is limited at his and might be more expensive to live at his with the rent costs there. There is also no room for any of my stuff. No idea what to do, maybe I should just stay at home but I do want to be more independent and spend money on my own property or shared. Any advice pls
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lucyjane1233
Got a bit of a weird situation where I’ve lived at home my whole life, I’m now 24 but don’t have enough to buy a house and not really enough to rent or anyone to rent with. My partner lives near me but I’m confused about what he wants because one minute he said we should move in together gradually but then the next minute he says I can have a key and we can split the costs half way or I stay and pay per night but then I’ve got my family wanting money from me for bills but then I tend to go to my partner’s a lot and stay over in the week and he’s not there at the weekend (which is annoying but that’s the way it seems to be) so then if I lived there, I may want to come back home for the weekend, so how on earth do I split the costs according to this and save enough money for my own future house whether rented or bought? I do prefer living here and it’s the same distance to work. Parking is limited at his and might be more expensive to live at his with the rent costs there. There is also no room for any of my stuff. No idea what to do, maybe I should just stay at home but I do want to be more independent and spend money on my own property or shared. Any advice pls

It is a tought one. You won't be able to do it all. I think you need to decide which option works for you the best and how much it will cost you per month.
Reply 2
Stay at home and pay your way a bit as well as saving in to an independence fund. Visit your boyfriend when it works for both of you but don’t commit to paying anything. It’s a good to have your own independent before living with someone and when you do commit it is without any confusion
Original post by Zarek
Stay at home and pay your way a bit as well as saving in to an independence fund. Visit your boyfriend when it works for both of you but don’t commit to paying anything. It’s a good to have your own independent before living with someone and when you do commit it is without any confusion

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending