The Student Room Group

Starting Sixth Form College at 19

Hey guys!
I'm 18 and currently studying for 10 GCSES. I will have gained 13 GCSES in total by the end of next year as I've already completed 3 of them last year. I'm expected all A's and A*'s in them. The reason for why I'm doing my GCSES so late is because I didn't get a chance to go to High School as none of them managed to offer me a place, which was very dissapointing.
I have recently applied to my local Sixth Form College to study A-levels there next year and I have an interview on thursday.
The only problem is that I will be already 19 next year, and I keep worrying that I will really old, considering there will be new students straight from high school. The College itself says it offers courses for over 19 as well, but do you think my age would be a problem anyway? Will people notice?
I am very keen and want to go onto study Medicine after sixth form and I do not want my age to hold me back.
Reply 1
Loads of people under 25 are in education. No one will care at all and it won't hold you back for anything :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Memphis93
Hey guys!
I'm 18 and currently studying for 10 GCSES. I will have gained 13 GCSES in total by the end of next year as I've already completed 3 of them last year. I'm expected all A's and A*'s in them. The reason for why I'm doing my GCSES so late is because I didn't get a chance to go to High School as none of them managed to offer me a place, which was very dissapointing.
I have recently applied to my local Sixth Form College to study A-levels there next year and I have an interview on thursday.
The only problem is that I will be already 19 next year, and I keep worrying that I will really old, considering there will be new students straight from high school. The College itself says it offers courses for over 19 as well, but do you think my age would be a problem anyway? Will people notice?
I am very keen and want to go onto study Medicine after sixth form and I do not want my age to hold me back.

The council is obliged to find you a place in a school.

And it shouldn't be a problem being older, although be aware that of course 16 year olds fresh from high school can sometimes be a bit immature.
Reply 3
You seem very dedicated. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Some people in my college don't look their age (either they look older or younger than their age) while others do. You can always hang out with people who are 18/19 and sometimes you'll find 20/21 year olds.

I wish you all the best with your education. Take care!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
is it not compulsory for you to do your GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest