The Student Room Group

PGCE ENGLISH at IOE 2012 start

Calling all those applying for English at the Institute of Education, University of London. My interview is this December. Has anyone already been interviewed? If so, what questions came up?:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mine's in january :/ let me know how it goes please, nervous :s-smilie:
Hi Osman, hope you saw my post on the English thread in time and that your interview went well! Have just had an email from them to say that they are now in a position to make offers and will be doing so in early Jan :smile: x
Reply 3
I didn't recieve that email. I was nervous on the day. I was interviewed by a tall lady, I think her name was Jill andrson. She said "I believe this course would benefit you" several times during the individual interview. She laughed genuinely when I showed her my large, tattered dictionary as a literacy resource example.
I said I would teach Shelly's Queen Mab for a pre-1914 poem first by checking school planning info, then by focussing on assessment of prior learning followed by questions about textual meaning and; Wilde's the Picture of Dorian Gray for a novel. I spoke about the technical, lexical, VAK teaching strategies; importance of my degree cuz it provides theoretical ideas relevant to Q14; challenges teachers may face, current issues e.g. curriculum but, I think my nervousness may have been offputting. I don't think I smiled at all, just kept a straight face.

I was also told that I should know by Christmas of the outcome in the form of a letter.
She asked me twice if I had been to students' services to hand in my documents. I nodded sincerely wondering why she was suspicious, possibly because my nervousness makes no sense when i have a bachelor (2:1) and master degree in English. Nevertheless, i haven't recieved any feedback and lack of relevant, recent experience may be my downfall.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't worry too much - my friend got asked about a pre-1914 poem and was so nervous that she couldn't think of an answer, so you showed that you can think even while under pressure/ nervous! And it sounds positive that she said the course would benefit you :smile: plus everyone was really nervous. There was a lady there on my interview day who had 2 degrees, a masters, worked in a school and kept talking about all the essays that the interviewers had written so I was feeling terrrrifed!
I suppose you won't know until you hear back so don't worry yet! Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by gizemsammali
Mine's in january :/ let me know how it goes please, nervous :s-smilie:

May I ask the date of your interview. 40 people have so far been interviewed. There are group chat, face to face interview then its complete. Questions asked: which pre-1914 poem and which novel would you teach and how? Questions also about your experience, current issues, challenges teachers may face?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi guys and girls,

I've just joined TSR today, I'm applying for PGCE at IOE for 2012 start and was sending my application off for the first week of January. I'm now scared that I may not even be considered for interview, can I ask.. Has everyone here studied English at degree level? Hope to hear back from someone soon.
Reply 7
I'm still bit annoyed with meself. I think I showed a lack of aplomb at the end of the interview when before picking up my bag to to leave I spoke for another minute about graphic novels.

Anyhow, yeah I have an english lit degree but there were many there with english Lang or linguistics degree. In fact one chic had a classics degree! As long as you can explain what you got out of your degree you've got a fair chance.:smile:

What's your degree in? Which PGCE r you applying to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Osman86

Original post by Osman86
I'm still bit annoyed with meself. I think I showed a lack of aplomb at the end of the interview when before picking up my bag to to leave I spoke for another minute about graphic novels.

Anyhow, yeah I have an english lit degree but there were many there with english Lang or linguistics degree. In fact one chic had a classics degree! As long as you can explain what you got out of your degree you've got a fair chance.:smile:
What's your degree in? Which PGCE r you applying to?

Ooo okay, thanks for the reply.. I appreciate it! My degree is in Psychology but I have English Language at A-level and I got a B in it. I'm applying for the PGCE in English.
Reply 9
Great, just to let you know: the IOE also offer the PGCE in social science and require a psychology or sociology degree or combination of both I.e. joint honours.

But with the A level in English, passion for poetry/novel reading you should be fine. After all, the chic with a Classics degree got the interview so they are flexible with entry requirements. good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Osman86
Great, just to let you know: the IOE also offer the PGCE in social science and require a psychology or sociology degree or combination of both I.e. joint honours.

But with the A level in English, passion for poetry/novel reading you should be fine. After all, the chic with a Classics degree got the interview so they are flexible with entry requirements. good luck.

Yep I've looked into that but there's no funding from the TDA on it and in general very few unis offer that course in the south of England. How long after sending your application off did you hear from IOE? And how long was your actual interview itself?
Reply 11
Exactly 20 working days mainly cuz some of my qualifications are Scottish so they needed time to verify their equivalency. The interview day started 9.30 and finished at midday. face to face interview lasts 20 minutes roughly. for me cuz I don't shut up it lasted a bit more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Osman86
Exactly 20 working days mainly cuz some of my qualifications are Scottish so they needed time to verify their equivalency. The interview day started 9.30 and finished at midday. face to face interview last 20 minutes roughly.

Ohhh okay, what other unis have you applied to? I've read in some forums that some interviews last the whole day, that really freaked me out!!
Reply 13
Kcl, goldsmiths and Roehampton. Kcl are, however, now full.
Reply 14
Best of luck Osman, hope you hear back from IOE soon!!
Reply 15
Original post by zara_rara
Best of luck Osman, hope you hear back from IOE soon!!

Thanks and you.
:smile:
Ps. If you have time, post on this thread any developments on your applications. I want all IOE english candidates to stay in touch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Zara, I sent my application on 28th October and was invited to interview on 16th November - the interview was on 14th December so given plenty of warning! I then received an email on the 22nd December to say thank you for attending the interview and that I am under consideration from a place, and will hear back in early January.
There was a short group discussion of teaching materials, then a 15 minute write-up of the discussion addressing various given criteria. After that, there was a one-on-one interview where I was asked about the challenges teachers face today, my own educational experiences, what I enjoyed about my uni course, about a particular school I visited on observation and how I would have dealt with the challenges there. Good luck!

Osman, how do you know 40 people have been interviewed? Yep, will stay in touch, good luck x
Reply 17
I was told by my interviewer, there will also be more interviews in Jan which indicates some may have been unsuccessful but it depends also on number of places allocated and accepted by the ioe. Your email is a very strong indication that you will recieve an offer likely on condition of completing your degree which I am sure is a formality. I called them the day after my interview to try and solicit information about my performance but they were very formal and said they did not know yet however, the very polite lady on the phone did say that if anyone was unsuccessful they would know before Xmas which I suppose is a positive sign for now. The crietria for admission specifies recent/relevant experience which I don't have cuz I worked at a primary school but the statutory entry requirements I do meet. Anyway, I'm sure come Monday 2nd everything will become clear.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh I see - surely they could make you an offer with the condition of getting the required amount of experience though? That is very helpful, thanks! So for now, we will just have to be content with not being rejected outright...
Original post by Osman86
May I ask the date of your interview. 40 people have sovfarcbeen interviewed. There is a group chat, face to face interview then its complete. Questions asked: what pre1914 poem and what novel would you teach and how? Questions also about your experience, current issues, challenges teachers may face?

Hey, my interview's on the 6th of January. Hmm i wonder if they'll ask me the same question about the poem and novel, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending