The Student Room Group

Juror jailed for Christmas after phoning in sick

Scroll to see replies

I bet he's dumped that boyfriend. :lolwut:

Why would you not just tell them you've already bought the tickets?
Reply 2
Disproportionate in my opinion, although personally I'm of the opinion that mandatory jury duty is wrong.
I found that rather amusing.
Disproportionate...

Young chap just wanted to see the musical, now he's banged up in a YOI with a criminal record, at 14 year old.

So so wrong.
Reply 5
Uk Justice - What a joke.
Reply 6
This is hilarious, for all the wrong reasons
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Disproportionate...

Young chap just wanted to see the musical, now he's banged up in a YOI with a criminal record, at 14 year old.

So so wrong.

If he was 14 he wouldnt be a juror :facepalm2:
How did they find out :hmmm:

Was he on the telly?
this is bull****. proper bull****. far worse things get done than this that don't end up with 2 weeks in jail, over christmas.
Incredibly stupid thing to do, I wouldn't be suprised if I did it and was jailed. Fair enough at University or even your part time job, everyone pulls the odd 'sicky' but lying to a court, delaying a trial, costing the crown money etc you can expect a criminal record and some community service at least.

I do think community service would have been adequate, he'll get torn to pieces in a juvy.
(edited 12 years ago)
14 days is a bit harsh.

Jurors cocking up proceedings is looked down upon. It is bad enough when defendants don't show or witnesses get delayed etc. The criminal justice system is very expensive to run and it has a ever decreasing pot of money. The delay that this person caused would have come at a cost as well as great inconvenience to the Judge, the defendant, the lawyers involved, the other jury members and the victim of crime.

It is possible that a whole court day would have been wasted.

I am not too sure on the sentencing ranges for contempt of court so I can't comment on the proportionality of the sentence as far as the law is concerned. My gut feeling, however, is that it does seem a bit on the heavy handed side. The judge was clearly annoyed that the juror had failed to try and sort the situation out before the trial and had lied.
Reply 12
Interesting to note the same Judge gave a benefits cheat who swindled nearly £20,000 from the tax payer, community service and a suspended sentence. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-10868506

Somehow don't think his sentencing matches.
(edited 12 years ago)
Disproportionate...

So so wrong.

He isn't 14 though, is he? If he were, he wouldn't be on a jury. :facepalm:
Reply 14
Lol that's funny but seriously don't they have other criminals to sort out.
Original post by TheSownRose
I bet he's dumped that boyfriend. :lolwut:

Why would you not just tell them you've already bought the tickets?

Because with jury duty that wouldn't work. You're called up to do jury duty, it's not optional unless you have some sort of medical grounds etc. Work is obligated to give you time off for it so that's no excuse either.

EDIT: Have been informed that changes can be made if you have previous arrangements. Though I'm still sceptical as to whether he would have had time off to see a play in London.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Disproportionate...

So so wrong.

Where did you get 14 years old from?
He was 19, you're not allowed to do jury duty if you're 14 years old.
Original post by GeorgEGNT
Because with jury duty that wouldn't work. You're called up to do jury duty, it's not optional unless you have some sort of medical grounds etc. Work is obligated to give you time off for it so that's no excuse either.

I have seen jurors being excused for a day because they have medical appointments or other (relatively) minor commitments.

If the young man had informed the court of his commitments at the first opportunity, it is likely that something would have been worked out. As long as the court and all those involved know that there will be a days gap, there is not too much of a problem - other matters can be dealt with instead.

Lol that's funny but seriously don't they have other criminals to sort out.

They have. But they need a proper system to sort these criminals out. To get that proper system, you need to make sure everyone is abiding by the rules.
Reply 18
I would ****ing murder that judge . . . or at least TP his house. :ahee:
Original post by TheSownRose
He isn't 14 though, is he? If he were, he wouldn't be on a jury. :facepalm:

I meant 19..

It was a 14- day at the YOI, I made a mistake. But you're stupid for thinking that what I said was correct lmao!

Facepalm to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending