The Student Room Group

Choice of where to do a PhD (international/local) and its consequences.

Scroll to see replies

1st: Concerning prestige: Yes, it can happen that in your research area the conference and centres of research aren't in the US, seldom in big towns in Eastern Europe and most of the time in a part of your homecountry, nobody wants to live in. Thus research and the "public prestige" can differ greatly.

2nd: Heimort isn't German and most German engineers are simply in the lucky position to be able to stay at their hometown, whereas someone from a developping country with e.g. a revolution has more reasons to move abroad to find work.

3rd: I wouldn't jugde people simply on their international experience, not everyone is in the position to even get a credit or feels safe by putting his family into debt. In addition, it can happen that you are born in a region with great universities and much opportunities, so why move to diminuish your chances?
Reply 21
"Lucky" to the point of stupidity in my view. Young (German) engineers that stunt their growth by being unwilling to take risks or develop their careers by broadening their responsibilties and accepting new expanded challenges. I have seen this time and time again. These are the same guys that ultimately rely on the unions to safeguard their jobs when their flexibility is lacking. "kein Bock" ? I would employ those with a dynamic approach and a can-do attitude in whatever role they were employed, someone that has never left the comfort of his home town will ring a few alarm bells. This is the extreme of the Home/Away Phd debate. But don't take my word for it, talk to some recruiters.

TBD

Original post by Nathanielle

2nd: Heimort isn't German and most German engineers are simply in the lucky position to be able to stay at their hometown, whereas someone from a developping country with e.g. a revolution has more reasons to move abroad to find work.
?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
The academic job market is very tight right now. It is very, very difficult to be competitive for, say, assistant professor positions even at second-tier departments without a PhD from a top-tier program, which roughly means top 10 in the world. This is even more true in the liberal arts than in the sciences. And let's face it, most top programs are in the US with some in the UK, so for people born elsewhere it means moving abroad. If you do not intend to pursue an academic career, then you may afford to attend a lower ranked program, perhaps in your home country. But I would think twice before embarking on a PhD if you know beforehand you do not want to become a professor.
Original post by TBD
"Lucky" to the point of stupidity in my view. Young (German) engineers that stunt their growth by being unwilling to take risks or develop their careers by broadening their responsibilties and accepting new expanded challenges. I have seen this time and time again. These are the same guys that ultimately rely on the unions to safeguard their jobs when their flexibility is lacking. "kein Bock" ? I would employ those with a dynamic approach and a can-do attitude in whatever role they were employed, someone that has never left the comfort of his home town will ring a few alarm bells. This is the extreme of the Home/Away Phd debate. But don't take my word for it, talk to some recruiters.

TBD

Do you know the problem, when you come home and have to change your job, because the one, who staid at home, has it now? Going abroad is no more the cash cow, it has been. It depends of course on the area, you are working in.

Do you know how easy it is to get a job in other countries and how well they paid? Probably. Thus you should understand why some, exspecially married (!), engineers do very well without changing the country.

Can-do attitude...:rolleyes: From my experience it has often more to do with money and opportunities than with the character of the person.

Nevertheless moving every three or five years isn't the dream for everyone and can have major impacts on your family life. Thus I can totally understand people who see no sense in a career where they are likely to end lonely or in a divorce.

Of course this is just my view and experience. (Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against moving, but it isn't as easy as you describe it.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending