The Student Room Group

Very early period after ECP?

My girlfriend and I had sex and the condom split a week ago, Wednesday the 21st, around 10pm. She'd had her period almost two weeks before on either Friday the 9th or Saturday 10th, so the next day we went to a clinic to get the morning after pill, which she got around 4pm, roughly 18 hours after the unprotected sex. Then today, the 28th, she texted me saying she'd gotten her period, even though it shouldn't be due until around the 6th at least, so it's well over a week early.

Having looked some stuff up, there's a chance this could 'implantation bleeding' meaning she could be pregnant, but that only causes 'spotting', which I assume is light bleeding? But when I mentioned this to her she seemed fairly certain it was a proper period (she'd also mentioned feeling bloated and 'menstrual' yesterday, and it seems that she's not just spotting).

The other option that seems possible is that this is a side-effect from the ECP, which apparently can cause very early periods. Given the circumstances this is looking to be the more likely option, but can anyone give me any confirmation that my situation seems to fit this? Obiviously you can't say for sure but which option (or even a third that I haven't considered) would you say seems more likely, and by how much?

TL;DR: unprotected sex in 'danger zone' of cycle, ECP within 24 hours, bleeding a week later, ~10 days earlier than expected period. Pregnant or not?

Thanks for any help.
took the morning after pill and your period comes sooner than it should. i think its her period and not spotting. stop worrying - although it is sweet than you went and looked it up etc!
It's most likely fine. Unfortunately there's not much you can do now either way, except wait and see. And in future, maybe think about suggesting she goes on the Pill for extra peace of mind. :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah she's definitely going on the pill now, don't want to go through this again, haha. So should she get another period at her expected time in a little over a week from now, or has this sort of 'reset' her cycle so she'll get her periods around this time each month? And when should we take a pregancy test to be absolutely sure? Thanks for all your advice.
Think about it, the morning after pill is full of hormones that her body is not used to is such doses. It is likely to mess up her cycle a bit

Quick Reply

Latest