The Student Room Group

Tips on English Literature essay writing (A level)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amber1202
Does anyone have any tips on how to answer an essay question in which I havebben given a a statement and asked to what extent I agree with it. E.g I have been asked to what extent I agree with this statement 'Rebecca is not a demonic villain, but a fearless heroine who refuses to be forced into submission by a patriarchal society; she is punished merely for her attempts to liberate herself.' can anyone give me ideas of how I will structure this essay?

yes does anyone know how to answer questions like this?
Original post by Emz_Wirtz
HI how many points is needed for an essay ? For lorn ?

uh what

maybe like 5 or 6?
Reply 22
when you said explanation go to explain your point like what do you mean moreover how can we even start the sentences to an essay
Point- LTQ with how you’re showing it in your paragraph
Quote- 2-3 (I use 2) embedded if you can that show the LTQ
analyse- how these quotes prove your point (isolation is LTQ but the use of melancholic language gives an isolated time is your point (eg))

Analysis is just looking into the quote and making points on how the quote links to your point.

This is a paragraph. You’ll also have to do either writers intentions or effect on the reader.
i have jus started my a levels about six weeks now and tbh honest i do feel a little bit put off as my essays r not all that and i was told that a
hey do you think you could maybe explain that a bit further to me? i realise this was 8 years ago but i really want to get to Exeter and im terrified that i wont, please help :,)
Reply 26
Hey, I studied English Lit A- level and I was someone who used to write and write and not realise time or if my structure was correct . So my advice would be to, first of course make a secure plan, spend a little longer than ten minutes on it if need be . Also, make sure that you always have in your head “does it relate to the question” and make sure to consistently refer to the question when writing. This is what helped me and it will definitely help you build a structure around the question . My final tip would be practice structuring. This will help you to achieve high marks . Bonus tip would be write essays by looking at A/A* graded essays as a way to help you get higher marks, you’ll remember the structure and will be able to remember how to write like a top student ! Hope this helps !
Original post by Minal.7
Hey, I studied English Lit A- level and I was someone who used to write and write and not realise time or if my structure was correct . So my advice would be to, first of course make a secure plan, spend a little longer than ten minutes on it if need be . Also, make sure that you always have in your head “does it relate to the question” and make sure to consistently refer to the question when writing. This is what helped me and it will definitely help you build a structure around the question . My final tip would be practice structuring. This will help you to achieve high marks . Bonus tip would be write essays by looking at A/A* graded essays as a way to help you get higher marks, you’ll remember the structure and will be able to remember how to write like a top student ! Hope this helps !

Hello hello! You sound like me but from the future, a future where I DONT fail English! I know I'm no one but if you have the time I would love to talk to you a bit more, maybe get some more guidance and stuff? IDK whatever you would be willing to give. I won't sit here a sob story my way into your DMS, but I've been struggling in English and I think you might be able to help me. Of course, if you don't want you I won't take it personally. But either way, thank you very much for the reply, it looks to be a good start on the right tracks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending