The Student Room Group

How to write faster essays?

I do English Literature. A top essay is 1300 words in 40 - 45 mins.

The problem is I can only manage 600 words in 40 mins. It's not the handwriting that's holding me back, it's the thinking. I get so bogged down in the analysis it wastes so much time.

What should I do?
do u make sure to write a plan before starting to write? just structuring everything out, adding a few points here and there can be beneficial as you can just refer to the points when writing, and it makes it much easier.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
I do English Literature. A top essay is 1300 words in 40 - 45 mins.

The problem is I can only manage 600 words in 40 mins. It's not the handwriting that's holding me back, it's the thinking. I get so bogged down in the analysis it wastes so much time.

What should I do?

First, make sure that you know your set texts really, really well. Have 3-4 sets of quotations sourced from across each text prepared for all the key themes and characters, and memorise them. Then, practise writing essays under timed conditions (if you think 1300 words in 45 mins is the goal, then make this the target to achieve), and ideally get them reviewed by teachers/tutors/peers you trust.

Here's my video with my 4 top tips on time management when it comes to essay writing for English: https://youtu.be/CrY-CEVcF4g
See if it helps you at all.
Original post by redbeanlvr
do u make sure to write a plan before starting to write? just structuring everything out, adding a few points here and there can be beneficial as you can just refer to the points when writing, and it makes it much easier.

the problem is coming up with a sophisticated plan (that aids the 1300 word essay) under 10 mins is a huge challenge on its own.
Original post by Hyperbolit
First, make sure that you know your set texts really, really well. Have 3-4 sets of quotations sourced from across each text prepared for all the key themes and characters, and memorise them. Then, practise writing essays under timed conditions (if you think 1300 words in 45 mins is the goal, then make this the target to achieve), and ideally get them reviewed by teachers/tutors/peers you trust.

Here's my video with my 4 top tips on time management when it comes to essay writing for English: https://youtu.be/CrY-CEVcF4g

if you don't mind me asking,

how do you get better at quickly extrapolating analysis, context and connections from the key quotes?
this is my main weakness.
Original post by Hyperbolit

@Hyperbolit I've watched your youtube video and found it helped with writing my practice papers (i'm watching more of them mainly cos you're fit x)
(edited 1 year ago)
The best advice is practice. A helpful tip that worked for me is to set a timer for 40 minutes and practice writing essays under exam conditions. This will help you get used to the time constraints and improve your ability to think and write quickly. I can also recommend looking at an example of informative essay. It is always easier to tackle a task when you have a sample. If possible, ask someone to review your practice essays and share their opinion. This can help identify areas for improvement and provide valuable insights. Critique and differing opinions are always beneficial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending