The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by marianne940
x

Since you're doing A levels I'm wondering if you'll know the answer to this.. On McGill's site it says "If you are an Advanced Level or International Baccalaureate student, you must arrange for final results to be sent by the appropriate Examination Board to McGill."... how do you get exam boards to send results directly to McGill :s-smilie: ? Thanks!
To anyone who knows about US universities here, how would you compare University of Michigan with U of Toronto and McGill?

Thanks!
Original post by loz876
Since you're doing A levels I'm wondering if you'll know the answer to this.. On McGill's site it says "If you are an Advanced Level or International Baccalaureate student, you must arrange for final results to be sent by the appropriate Examination Board to McGill."... how do you get exam boards to send results directly to McGill :s-smilie: ? Thanks!

They told me that I had to contact the exam board (so I'm thinking I'll email or call them) to tell them to send the results directly to McGill. Apparently it's pretty straightforward, although I haven't tried yet!
Reply 83
Original post by marianne940
They told me that I had to contact the exam board (so I'm thinking I'll email or call them) to tell them to send the results directly to McGill. Apparently it's pretty straightforward, although I haven't tried yet!

Ok, thank you, sounds simpler than I thought! That'll be fun since my three A-levels are with three different exam boards :s-smilie: :lol: (if I get accepted that is :tongue:)
Reply 84
Hi

I have received an offer from Mcgill to do a BA program about 2 weeks ago.

Until tonight, I thought that I would have to do a 4 year program.

Im predicted A*AA at A level and it seems from this forum that if I get something like that I will be able to enter into U1 and take a 3 year course?

Also, I was wondering what their policy on deferring entry is? My place at the moment is for 'Fall 2012' entry, but has anyone managed to defer to 2013? I'd like to take a gap year but don't want to annoy them by asking if they are just going to say no

Thanks
Original post by Ning77
Hi

I have received an offer from Mcgill to do a BA program about 2 weeks ago.

Until tonight, I thought that I would have to do a 4 year program.

Im predicted A*AA at A level and it seems from this forum that if I get something like that I will be able to enter into U1 and take a 3 year course?

Also, I was wondering what their policy on deferring entry is? My place at the moment is for 'Fall 2012' entry, but has anyone managed to defer to 2013? I'd like to take a gap year but don't want to annoy them by asking if they are just going to say no

Thanks

Advanced Standing credit may be awarded to applicants who have completed the International Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement Examinations, Advanced Subsidiary and Advanced Level Examinations, Higher Level Examinations and/or university courses. Applicants who have written Advanced Level Examinations, as well as those who have completed the full International or French Baccalaureate programs, may be granted up to 30 credits of advanced standing (a maximum of 10 credits will be granted for A-level papers in Mathematics). Please note that Advanced Standing credits for Music applicants vary from those described. For general information, please consult our website at http://www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/plan/transfer/

For all applicants, advanced standing credit will be calculated and assigned only after the accepted applicant has confirmed that they will be attending McGill, usually during the months of August and September. The Undergraduate Admissions Office will initiate the calculation of advanced standing credit once the applicant has accepted the admission offer and paid the required deposit. After registration, the Admissions Office, Faculty or School may award further advanced standing credit. Please note, however, that this process will only take place once we have received final, official documentation from the appropriate educational body.

I had the same question as you, I emailed Service Point, this is what they replied.

For your gap year, I really have no idea, the best in my opinion would be to drop them a email, and see what they say.

BTW, do you mind me asking when you send your documents..
Reply 86
Thanks for the info.

Thats really, really annoying as im basically basing my decision on whether I can do a three year course.

I applied in September and sent my documents off in October i think. It took ages after I sent them off for them to arrive, but I'm not sure whether this was because they just didn't bother updating my Minerva page.

I may call them and try to ask for more details, because I can't afford to accept if there is a possibility of having to do four years.
Hey guys,

I am applying to Mcgill, today my status changed from "Ready for Review" to "Reviewed-Decision Pending"
Anyone else got that? What does it mean exactly? Does this mean i am defiantly not going...

Thanks.
Reply 88
Original post by Alexlol28
Hey guys,

I am applying to Mcgill, today my status changed from "Ready for Review" to "Reviewed-Decision Pending"
Anyone else got that? What does it mean exactly? Does this mean i am defiantly not going...

Thanks.

No..far from it. Usually it goes like this - Ready for Review > Further Review Required > Reviewed - Decision Pending > Decision

It could just mean the faculty does not have the time to make a decision right now.
You could be on that status for about a week or two I guess.

Just out of curiosity which faculty and what are you predicted?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Azland
No..far from it. Usually it goes like this - Ready for Review > Further Review Required > Reviewed - Decision Pending > Decision

It could just mean the faculty does not have the time to make a decision right now.
You could be on that status for about a week or two I guess.

Just out of curiosity which faculty and what are you predicted?

Well I applied for Material Eng and Computer Eng, my predicted grade are AABB and I already have an A.

You probably wont know this, but do you know how long will it take for them to make the final decision? will i have to wait for every one else to get reviewed?
Reply 90
Well I applied for Material Eng and Computer Eng, my predicted grade are AABB and I already have an A.

You probably wont know this, but do you know how long will it take for them to make the final decision? will i have to wait for every one else to get reviewed?

Cant be sure..I just check college confidential sometimes and see the same stuff. People there sometimes wait for anytime between 1-3 weeks before a decision is made. And no, I guess you are in a separate list and will be done before everyone else is reviewed.
Original post by Azland
Cant be sure..I just check college confidential sometimes and see the same stuff. People there sometimes wait for anytime between 1-3 weeks before a decision is made. And no, I guess you are in a separate list and will be done before everyone else is reviewed.

Thanks for the info. Did you get an offer?
All i can do is Hope...
Reply 92
Thanks for the info. Did you get an offer?
All i can do is Hope...

Nope..still on further review myself. Expect it to stay like that till end of feb minimum. Just hope you get a decision before March 8th if you feel you've not done well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Azland
Nope..still on further review myself. Expect it to stay like that till end of feb minimum. Just hope you get a decision before March 8th if you feel you've not done well.

Why March the 8th?
Reply 94
Why March the 8th?

A Level Results day. After you get an offer generally people still keep the offer even if grades drop significantly from the predictions ( just not a drastic fall ). I suppose you will be required to upload your actual results after 8th if a decision is not made yet.
Original post by Azland
A Level Results day. After you get an offer generally people still keep the offer even if grades drop significantly from the predictions ( just not a drastic fall ). I suppose you will be required to upload your actual results after 8th if a decision is not made yet.

Well I sat all my AS last June, did not sit any modules this January, taking all my A2 in June, so I guess this doesn't really apply to me. :cool:
Original post by loz876
My status changed today from "Under review/ready for review" to "reviewed - decision pending"... anyone else had this?? Could it mean I'll hear in the next few days??

This also happened to me.. you heard anything yet?
Reply 97
This also happened to me.. you heard anything yet?

Nope not yet :frown: getting impatient now!! are you doing A levels?
EDIT: sorry forget that questions, read previous posts! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by loz876
Nope not yet :frown: getting impatient now!! are you doing A levels?
EDIT: sorry forget that questions, read previous posts! :tongue:

Btw did you get an email telling you that something changed on your minerva?
What did you apply for?
Reply 99
Btw did you get an email telling you that something changed on your minerva?
What did you apply for?

No I didn't, that's why I check frantically every day thinking something might change without being told, especially if they decide they need something else from me. But I think when they have made a decision then they email you telling you to log into Minerva.
I applied to science for both my options, Maths for one and Biochem for the other, but maths is my first choice :smile: how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending