The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azland
I'm sorry but I dont quite understand. I take it that you have finished 2 AL's already and are currently doing your 3rd?.

I have finished A-level in maths and chemistry.

I am currently doing A-level in physics and further maths.
NB: I will be taking physics and further maths exam in june, hence i haven't finished my AS yet.
Reply 161
Original post by raheem94
I have finished A-level in maths and chemistry.

I am currently doing A-level in physics and further maths.
NB: I will be taking physics and further maths exam in june, hence i haven't finished my AS yet.

What did you upload originally before they asked you for the AS Results?
Original post by Azland
What did you upload originally before they asked you for the AS Results?

High school transcript, it contained the marks i scored at my first year(in chemistry and maths) in A-level, my O-level grades and my predicted grades for physics and further maths.
Reply 163
Original post by raheem94
High school transcript, it contained the marks i scored at my first year(in chemistry and maths) in A-level, my O-level grades and my predicted grades for physics and further maths.

Quite odd. That should be fine. Are you doing cie or edexcel btw?. Call up Service Point on Monday morning to ask them what exactly to do.
Original post by Azland
Quite odd. That should be fine. Are you doing cie or edexcel btw?. Call up Service Point on Monday morning to ask them what exactly to do.

I am doing edexcel.

Thanks for your help.
To those who are firming McGill, which rez are you gonna opt for?

Though i'm considering New Rez and C4, they are relatively expensive; is anyone able to shed some light on these 2 rez?
Original post by fellowjoe
To those who are firming McGill, which rez are you gonna opt for?

Though i'm considering New Rez and C4, they are relatively expensive; is anyone able to shed some light on these 2 rez?

New Rez is usually considered the party rez; most rooms are shared, but since it's a converted hotel they're quite nice and ok sized. It's also really well situated, there are 2 grocery stores, a sushi shop, and a few restaurants right by it. It's also in front of the (in)famous Bar des Pins, a grungy student bar where people go pre-drink or watch hockey. You're also very close to campus, which is nice during the winter.
I haven't seen the rooms at the C4, so I can't really say anything, but they're supposed to be really nice too!

Very few people actually live in rez at McGill even in first year, and virtually everyone lives in private accommodation in second year.
Reply 167
When does the accommodation page on Minerva open...?!

Also, any1 have any thoughts on McGill vs. LSE? Which is better etc etc?

Is it true that the minimum entry requirements for McGill are BBC at A level? Cause thats what I have read..:biggrin:
Reply 168
To anybody heading to McGill, do you know if it is possible to be accepted for a BA economics course without taking maths at AS or A-level?
Reply 169
Original post by will1571
To anybody heading to McGill, do you know if it is possible to be accepted for a BA economics course without taking maths at AS or A-level?

Yes it is possible as there are no prerequisites for applying to the Faculty of Arts - which teaches economics.
Reply 170
Original post by ibs007
Yes it is possible as there are no prerequisites for applying to the Faculty of Arts - which teaches economics.

That's great to know, thanks.
Original post by GabrielleT
New Rez is usually considered the party rez; most rooms are shared, but since it's a converted hotel they're quite nice and ok sized. It's also really well situated, there are 2 grocery stores, a sushi shop, and a few restaurants right by it. It's also in front of the (in)famous Bar des Pins, a grungy student bar where people go pre-drink or watch hockey. You're also very close to campus, which is nice during the winter.
I haven't seen the rooms at the C4, so I can't really say anything, but they're supposed to be really nice too!

Very few people actually live in rez at McGill even in first year, and virtually everyone lives in private accommodation in second year.

Yeah, and not to mention that New Rez is also where the rich kids are. Anyway, you are making me sway towards New Rez for now :biggrin:

Which rez are you opting for?

Original post by ibs007
When does the accommodation page on Minerva open...?!

Also, any1 have any thoughts on McGill vs. LSE? Which is better etc etc?

Is it true that the minimum entry requirements for McGill are BBC at A level? Cause thats what I have read..:biggrin:

As in for arts? As far as the humanities and social sciences are concerned, LSE has a far better reputation.

That aside, you should factor in things like student life, environment and teaching quality too.
Yeah, and not to mention that New Rez is also where the rich kids are. Anyway, you are making me sway towards New Rez for now :biggrin:

Which rez are you opting for?

As in for arts? As far as the humanities and social sciences are concerned, LSE has a far better reputation.

That aside, you should factor in things like student life, environment and teaching quality too.

I'm actually finishing my BA at McGill this term and going to the UK for postgrad next September! :smile:
I always lived in private accommodation while at McGill, but a lot of my friends were in rez. From what I have seen, you tend to meet people more by joining in sports, clubs, etc, than by living together in rez.

Montreal is a great city to live in, there's always something going on. It's not too big, but it's impossible to get bored: the music scene is great, and there are thousands of cafés, bars and clubs for all tastes. I'm sure you'll love it!
Original post by GabrielleT
I'm actually finishing my BA at McGill this term and going to the UK for postgrad next September! :smile:
I always lived in private accommodation while at McGill, but a lot of my friends were in rez. From what I have seen, you tend to meet people more by joining in sports, clubs, etc, than by living together in rez.

Montreal is a great city to live in, there's always something going on. It's not too big, but it's impossible to get bored: the music scene is great, and there are thousands of cafés, bars and clubs for all tastes. I'm sure you'll love it!

Seems like you had helluva fun at Montreal!

But were you already fluent in French before going to McGill? I can't speak French at all and its somehow setting me back from seriously consider taking up my offer :/
Seems like you had helluva fun at Montreal!

But were you already fluent in French before going to McGill? I can't speak French at all and its somehow setting me back from seriously consider taking up my offer :/

I do speak French, but most of my friends don't and they've never had a problem. It's hard to find someone who doesn't speak English in Montreal! Especially when you are downtown and in the McGill ghetto (how we lovingly call the area where most students live), you won't hear any French at all. I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you!
Reply 175
AS grades-aaaac
predicted A*A*AAA
ielts 7
international aplicant
applied back in october
in minerva : still ready for review
should i worry ??

only thing I have uploaded was transcript from AS

+ i send personal statement +predicitons + reports to them by mail.

i very nervouse about my application, I think ive done smth wrong.
Reply 176
Hi guys I have been admitted to Mcgill's faculty of arts and I was interested in doing a degree in Economics. I also hold offers from University of Bath and Exeter for Economics. The QS rankings suggest that McGill is far superior for Economics, yet this is not the general consensus on forums. I want to do Investment Banking (typical lol :smile: ) I am not sure which offer to take up. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Yash13
Hi guys I have been admitted to Mcgill's faculty of arts and I was interested in doing a degree in Economics. I also hold offers from University of Bath and Exeter for Economics. The QS rankings suggest that McGill is far superior for Economics, yet this is not the general consensus on forums. I want to do Investment Banking (typical lol :smile: ) I am not sure which offer to take up. Thanks in advance!

McGill is definitely superior for economics. It's a very competitive program! McGill as a university is also much more internationally renowned (within top 30 in the world, can't remember the exact ranking). Finally, Montréal is loads more exciting than Bath or Exeter, I have to say. :tongue:

The only advantage Bath and Exeter hold over Montreal is a) the cheaper fees/less hassle (I assume you're British?) and b) probably smaller class sizes.

Original post by malakhov
AS grades-aaaac
predicted A*A*AAA
ielts 7
international aplicant
applied back in october
in minerva : still ready for review
should i worry ??

only thing I have uploaded was transcript from AS

+ i send personal statement +predicitons + reports to them by mail.

i very nervouse about my application, I think ive done smth wrong.

Hm, I don't think you should worry yet! Universities in Canada are still making their decisions at the moment, and (anecdotally) I've heard that they are still putting off a lot of their applications to make final decisions. An offer at this time would be considered "early" so you're not "late" by any means. Don't worry! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by punctuation
McGill is definitely superior for economics. It's a very competitive program! McGill as a university is also much more internationally renowned (within top 30 in the world, can't remember the exact ranking). Finally, Montréal is loads more exciting than Bath or Exeter, I have to say. :tongue:

The only advantage Bath and Exeter hold over Montreal is a) the cheaper fees/less hassle (I assume you're British?) and b) probably smaller class sizes.

Wow thanks for this. Bath has been ranked 7/8th for Economics in the UK and has the same graduate prospects as Oxford. However, it is very low on the QS university rankings. A lot of people are saying McGill's ranking this year is an anomaly. Also, I have heard that its is difficult to get into Investment Banking from McGill. Whereas Bath has a placement year with many going into Banking after their undergrad degree. I think a Canadian would know best though.

I want to do a BA Honours in Economics. I am unsure whether this will give a good chance of getting into Banking over Bath's Bsc Honours with a Placement year (paid). Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Original post by Yash13
Wow thanks for this. Bath has been ranked 7/8th for Economics in the UK and has the same graduate prospects as Oxford. However, it is very low on the QS university rankings. A lot of people are saying McGill's ranking this year is an anomaly. Also, I have heard that its is difficult to get into Investment Banking from McGill. Whereas Bath has a placement year with many going into Banking after their undergrad degree. I think a Canadian would know best though.

I want to do a BA Honours in Economics. I am unsure whether this will give a good chance of getting into Banking over Bath's Bsc Honours with a Placement year (paid). Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Hm, fair enough. I think it depends on where you want to go after uni. If you want to study outside the UK, definitely go for McGill. Bath is essentially unknown outside the UK, unfortunately, however good its program is. However, I've heard many internationals describe (very hyperbolically, I might add, but nevertheless the sentiment rings true) that McGill is the "Harvard of Canada". Not quite, but it still holds a sense of renown and prestige that I think you will benefit from employment-wise.

However, I can still acknowledge the benefits of a placement year. Seeing that you're going after this four-year program, there isn't any advantage in terms of how quickly you'll graduate. Once again, I think this depends on where you want to work after uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending