The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Is an NUS extra card worth it?
Original post by .Met.
Hey guys, I have a question as a fresher starting in October at Brasenose College.
One of the sheets in the pack mailed by Oxford states that electric guitars aren't allowed in the college (along with some other appliances such as toasters and gas cookers). Any idea why that is, and what I'm supposed to do as a guitarist who wants to continue practising his instrument and possibly start/join a band as a guitarist? I am quite confused, is there another place I'm meant to store my guitar and another practice area?

Thanks in advance.

Its either noise or fire risk, probably the latter. I'm sure you could take it as long as you didn't play in your room. We have a music room for this kind of thing, but i'm not sure about bnc.

Original post by medbh4805
Is an NUS extra card worth it?

Are you planning to do lots of stuff that gives student discount outside of Oxford? If not, no. Even if they are outside of Oxford, they sometimes accept bod cards. My local gym did.
(edited 11 years ago)
A couple of questions from a pre-fresher (medic):

1. Firstly, I keep hearing from medics and other students that there is no need to buy any textbooks before I arrive at Oxford, if at all. Is this true? I am told that instead I can just get all the books I need from the libraries. I have heard it is best to get the books out before other people before they run out. However, surely you will need to revisit these books often for essays and revision purposes throughout the whole course - so do loans last for as long as a term/academic year or are they normal length? Therefore doesn't it make sense to buy some books if you use them often? Is this what people do or do people just make frequent trips to the library to loan out the same books?

2. Secondly, is it worth bringing a bike to Oxford or do most people walk instead? If I were to bring a bike, would there be a way to leave the bike at Oxford out of term time, to prevent taking it with me to and from home?

Original post by whateverg
A couple of questions from a pre-fresher (medic):

1. Firstly, I keep hearing from medics and other students that there is no need to buy any textbooks before I arrive at Oxford, if at all. Is this true? I am told that instead I can just get all the books I need from the libraries. I have heard it is best to get the books out before other people before they run out. However, surely you will need to revisit these books often for essays and revision purposes throughout the whole course - so do loans last for as long as a term/academic year or are they normal length? Therefore doesn't it make sense to buy some books if you use them often? Is this what people do or do people just make frequent trips to the library to loan out the same books?

2. Secondly, is it worth bringing a bike to Oxford or do most people walk instead? If I were to bring a bike, would there be a way to leave the bike at Oxford out of term time, to prevent taking it with me to and from home?

1) What you've heard is true. Loans last more than a term yes (you have to renew weekly but that involves just following a link on an e-mail they send, and about 2 more clicks and done). Some of the most popular books might run out, but there are always alternatives. Its rarely a problem.
Some people do choose to buy books they like a lot. Typically this would be about 2 books per person or something though, and its typically regretted when that person moves into the next year and realises they'll never be reading about biochemistry again, or whatever topic it is.

2) Most people have a bike. Walking is absolutely fine though. I suppose you could leave bikes in college racks over the holidays yes, if you wanted. Be warned though - bike theft is a huge business in Oxford. Not just whole bikes too - wheels, tyres, seats... anything. Don't bring a nice bike.
Original post by nexttime
1) What you've heard is true. Loans last more than a term yes (you have to renew weekly but that involves just following a link on an e-mail they send, and about 2 more clicks and done). Some of the most popular books might run out, but there are always alternatives. Its rarely a problem.
Some people do choose to buy books they like a lot. Typically this would be about 2 books per person or something though, and its typically regretted when that person moves into the next year and realises they'll never be reading about biochemistry again, or whatever topic it is.

2) Most people have a bike. Walking is absolutely fine though. I suppose you could leave bikes in college racks over the holidays yes, if you wanted. Be warned though - bike theft is a huge business in Oxford. Not just whole bikes too - wheels, tyres, seats... anything. Don't bring a nice bike.

I assume then that there is sufficient room to leave your bike at the medical sciences building?

Does that mean that you can reloan an unlimited amount of times?

Also, is there a shortage of books - is there actually a need to get them out asap? Any books in particular? Would you recommend any books to buy at all which you will always need?

Reply 1985
I assume then that there is sufficient room to leave your bike at the medical sciences building?

Also, is there a shortage of books - is there actually a need to get them out asap? Any books in particular? Would you recommend any books to buy at all which you will always need?

I know nothing medic-specific, but at all the Oxford libraries I've seen there's a limit to how many times you can renew a book online (ie without physically bringing it to the library), and if someone's requested a book you can't renew it. The Oxford library service catalogue is online, so if you want you can see how many copies of the books you've been told about are in your college library, the science library etc..; head here, and when you find the book you're looking for click on 'locations' to see where it's kept.

There are lots of fences and bike racks to chain your bike to yes.

You can re-loan until you leave yes unless someone requests the book from you. You do however have to physically bring the books back every 8 or so weeks (you can keep them out of term time and this isn't counted in the 8 weeks).

Books are abundant but if everyone wants one book clearly they can't have 150 copies of everything. People have different preferences though so this is rarely a problem.

I'd certainly wait until you arrive before you consider buying books. I personally bought a student clinical anatomy book as i thought its universally useful, which it has been so far. There are lots of library anatomy books though - see what appeals to you first.
Original post by Jeykayem
I think most of my friends from Ireland tend to send a couple of large bags/cases/boxes of stuff back home by air a couple of days before the end of term, and then leave on the morning of Saturday of 8th week (before 10am, which is when you have to be out of your room by) with a smaller bag/hand luggage and fly back themselves. There are also decent-sized lockers in every room which are locked throughout each vacation, so you can leave stuff there too. There is also storage for international students at the top of Staircase 4.

I'm going to be a 4th year Chemist. :smile: Oooh, History and Politics - does that mean BL is your college dad? :ninja:

Sounds great! I'll probably leave most of my stuff in storage/lockers - why on earth would they put storage at the TOP of a staircase?? :frown:

And yeah, he is! I love how everyone seems to know each other :grouphugs:
Original post by totallyawesome
Sounds great! I'll probably leave most of my stuff in storage/lockers - why on earth would they put storage at the TOP of a staircase?? :frown:

And yeah, he is! I love how everyone seems to know each other :grouphugs:

BL is possibly the nicest dad anyone could wish for! So jolly :smile:

Yea the international storage in staircase 4 is the most stupid thing ever. Not only is it at the very top of the staircase, but you have to go up like 3 sets of narrow spiral stairs to get there. It was a nightmare trying to help my friend lift his boxes up there!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by nexttime

Are you planning to do lots of stuff that gives student discount outside of Oxford? If not, no. Even if they are outside of Oxford, they sometimes accept bod cards. My local gym did.

Does your bod card then give you discounts in oxford similar to the NUS card?
Does your bod card then give you discounts in oxford similar to the NUS card?

It gets you student discount where it exists yes. NUS has other additional discounts to some things i think, hence why you have to pay for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Pretty random question, but is it possible to link up your Oxford email account so you receive emails from it on your phone?
Original post by emmaaa88
Pretty random question, but is it possible to link up your Oxford email account so you receive emails from it on your phone?

Yes, I am pretty sure it is.. There should be a guide for this on the student site :smile:

Everyone i know does this. The fact that i don't get e-mails till i get home means i'm always hours behind with organisation :redface:

Yes, the OUCS (Oxford Uni Computer Services) website will guide you through how to do it :smile:

Also, to the person talking about storage out of term time, if you want to send stuff back to Ireland then www.sendmybag.com is your friend, so much easier than paying excess baggage to bring books etc home!

Yup you definitely can with a smartphone - I get a notification every time an email comes through on Nexus on my iPhone :smile: With iPhones, you can just add a new account (Settings --> Mail, Contacts and Calendars) and I'm guessing it's probably the same thing with other smartphones like BlackBerry and Samsung.
Hi Guys! I'm preparing to go to Somerville in October and just wondering whether we are supposed to buy our academic dress/Sub fusc in advance or when we get their? Where would you recommend to buy academic dress/Sub fusc? Also how do you guys attach things to the walls of your accommodation if you can't use blue tack (Somerville Licence to Occupy) or do you? Thanks for any answers :-)

Reply 1997
Original post by George0123
Hi Guys! I'm preparing to go to Somerville in October and just wondering whether we are supposed to buy our academic dress/Sub fusc in advance or when we get their? Where would you recommend to buy academic dress/Sub fusc? Also how do you guys attach things to the walls of your accommodation if you can't use blue tack (Somerville Licence to Occupy) or do you? Thanks for any answers :-)

Buy it when you get there unless you really want to wear it at home; a few shops do an identical £25 package with gown, mortarboard and bow tie or ribbon. At Merton you can get hooks put up or just use the picture rail.
Hi Guys! I'm preparing to go to Somerville in October and just wondering whether we are supposed to buy our academic dress/Sub fusc in advance or when we get there?

Yeah, loads of time for this during Freshers' Week, at the same package price (it was £24.99 last year). Plus you get to try it on, make sure the mortar board fits snug etc. It's all part of the fun; I would wait till you get here :smile:

I got mine from the Varsity Shop (Castells) on Broad Street because it appeared a little less formal and fussy. But there's very little to choose between them.
(edited 11 years ago)

I bought mine in advance because I really didn't want to waste some of my freshers' week shopping (or forget to do it and suddenly remember the day before matriculation when everyone who's forgotten is trying to get a gown!). You just measure yourself at home and put in the measurements online. I bought mine in Shepherd and Woodward but like others have said there's basically no difference between all the shops when it's just an ordinary commoner's gown and ribbon etc that you need.

As for attaching stuff to walls, people just put things on their noticeboard rather than the walls, and sometimes in my college rooms had hooks already in the wall that people could hang pictures from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending