The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MouseyBrown
Can anyone tell me how possible/expensive it is to use music rooms? Specifically I want to be able to practice on the drums.

Is that usually done in college or in the music department? Is it even possible? I saw in the music dep site that you can register to use the rooms, but it sounded a bit like they might be hard to actually get, and wasn't sure if they had drums there anyway.

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

For me, music rooms are booked in college, and they're free (there's a really well equipped music facility called the Jaqueline du Pré building at St Hilda's where I go, but I'm pretty sure all of the standard colleges have music rooms you can book for free). Maybe get in touch with the music department by email and ask them to clarify the info?
Can anyone tell me how possible/expensive it is to use music rooms? Specifically I want to be able to practice on the drums.

Is that usually done in college or in the music department? Is it even possible? I saw in the music dep site that you can register to use the rooms, but it sounded a bit like they might be hard to actually get, and wasn't sure if they had drums there anyway.

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

I'm not sure that many colleges would have a drumkit that you would be able to practice on. I know at my college (Worcester), there was no drumkit available for years! We have one now though but it belongs to the drama soc, Buskins (since they paid for it).

As for the Music Department having one, I'm not entirely sure that they do, though things may have changed since I left...This may be something that takes more careful investigation!

As mentioned, each college should have some kinda music practice room facilties, with at least one or two rooms with a piano. This should be free to use for members of that particular college :yes:
Original post by square_peg
For me, music rooms are booked in college, and they're free (there's a really well equipped music facility called the Jaqueline du Pré building at St Hilda's where I go, but I'm pretty sure all of the standard colleges have music rooms you can book for free). Maybe get in touch with the music department by email and ask them to clarify the info?

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not sure that many colleges would have a drumkit that you would be able to practice on. I know at my college (Worcester), there was no drumkit available for years! We have one now though but it belongs to the drama soc, Buskins (since they paid for it).

As for the Music Department having one, I'm not entirely sure that they do, though things may have changed since I left...This may be something that takes more careful investigation!

As mentioned, each college should have some kinda music practice room facilties, with at least one or two rooms with a piano. This should be free to use for members of that particular college :yes:

Cheers dudes. Only thing is that my offer is from Harris Manchester, which is pretty small and doesn't have any practice rooms at all, I don't think. I'll get on to the music department, and I'm sure there's some rehearsal rooms in the city if it comes to that.
I know at my college (Worcester)

(cautiously sidles up) heyyyyyyy, so, about Worcester - I'm thinking of applying there come September. If you had to list 3 of the best things about Worcester, what would they be? And also 3 of the worst things? And oh, oh, also - how is Worcester's drama soc? Sorry for all the questions, I've been going back and forth for ages about which college to apply to!
Original post by roarchika
(cautiously sidles up) heyyyyyyy, so, about Worcester - I'm thinking of applying there come September. If you had to list 3 of the best things about Worcester, what would they be? And also 3 of the worst things? And oh, oh, also - how is Worcester's drama soc? Sorry for all the questions, I've been going back and forth for ages about which college to apply to!

WE HAVE A LAKE WITH DUCKS
(At my interview, all the people I met agreed this was one of the main reasons we applied. :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lainathiel
WE HAVE A LAKE WITH DUCKS
(At my interview, all the people I met agreed this was one of the main reasons we applied. :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'M 100% MORE SOLD SIGN ME UP DUCKS ARE THE BEST!!!
Worcester's grounds look absolutely gorgeous, ngl - that's another reason why I want to apply there!
Cheers dudes. Only thing is that my offer is from Harris Manchester, which is pretty small and doesn't have any practice rooms at all, I don't think. I'll get on to the music department, and I'm sure there's some rehearsal rooms in the city if it comes to that.

Hey, there are practice rooms in the Music department and they do have a drumkit though I think it belongs to OUJO (Ox Uni Jazz Orchestra).

If you have any questions on music at a university level (non academic) feel free to PM me - I used to be on the uni music soc exec committee :smile:
Original post by ffionhafevans1
I am currently in year 11 and doing my GCSEs. In the future, I would like to study Maths, Further Maths and Physics in Sixth Form and go on to study Theortetical Physics and Applied Mathematics in Oxford. Are there any Oxford students that could tell me what grades they obtained at GCSE or anyone that could tell me how many A*'s would allow me to have a higher chance of being accepted into Oxford please? Thank you.

Hi, fourth year physics here (so my year was the first year where it was possible to do the MMathPhys). Not sure if you can apply directly onto that course now or if they are keeping it so you apply in the third year of either a maths or physics degree. Can't tell you anything about maths, but applying for physics GCSEs are largely irrelevant. The decision to interview is made solely on being in the top ~500 in the aptitude test. GCSEs are taken into account after interview but what effect they have is contextual (for example if you did poorly at GCSE at a school in special measures and then changed school and did exceptionally well at AS it would count in your favour whereas the opposite is also true - if you do well at GCSE and poorly at AS it would count against you in a borderline case). AS etc is generally looked at when considering whether a candidate would be able to reasonably achieve the offer which was A*AA when I applied. I believe that the average number of A*s at GCSE for the physics course is 7.
Worcester's grounds look absolutely gorgeous, ngl - that's another reason why I want to apply there!

As I said, that's pretty much what everyone thought, haha! I can't really be much help about the college as I'll be starting in September (as long as A2s go okay), other than that it's beautiful, the food was nice at my interview and the tutors seemed lovely! :smile: I've gathered that there isn't much difference though between them, and all the students I've met have loved their own college. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry, I didn't check TSR yesterday at all :redface:

Best things about Woosta:

1. LAKE WITH DUCKS :ahee:
2. LOTS OF GRASS YOU CAN WALK/PICNIC/SUNBATHE ON :ahee :ahee:
3. Lack of tourists compared to the other colleges with big grounds :ahee: :ahee: :ahee:

Worst things about Woosta:

1. N/A
2. N/A
3. N/A

:smug:

:ninja:

Buskins (the drama soc) is really good. I've never seen any of their productions personally but they are meant to be of a very high standard indeed. Add to this that they have lots of money (and our head of college used to work for the RSC, so he is very supportive of college drama), and it's a winning combo :awesome:

Do go check it out on the open day - I doubt you'll be disappointed :h:
Original post by natninja
Hi, fourth year physics here (so my year was the first year where it was possible to do the MMathPhys). Not sure if you can apply directly onto that course now or if they are keeping it so you apply in the third year of either a maths or physics degree. Can't tell you anything about maths, but applying for physics GCSEs are largely irrelevant. The decision to interview is made solely on being in the top ~500 in the aptitude test. GCSEs are taken into account after interview but what effect they have is contextual (for example if you did poorly at GCSE at a school in special measures and then changed school and did exceptionally well at AS it would count in your favour whereas the opposite is also true - if you do well at GCSE and poorly at AS it would count against you in a borderline case). AS etc is generally looked at when considering whether a candidate would be able to reasonably achieve the offer which was A*AA when I applied. I believe that the average number of A*s at GCSE for the physics course is 7.

Thank you!

3. Lack of tourists compared to the other colleges with big grounds :ahee: :ahee: :ahee:

1. N/A
2. N/A
3. N/A

Buskins (the drama soc) is really good. I've never seen any of their productions personally but they are meant to be of a very high standard indeed. Add to this that they have lots of money (and our head of college used to work for the RSC, so he is very supportive of college drama), and it's a winning combo :awesome:

Thank you!! More questions: (I'm sorry. I can't help it. Officially diagnosed with questionitis over here :P) I've heard that it's possible to have in-college accommodation and kitchen access (I can't live without cooking) for all three years - would that happen to be true???

The drama society sounds so so so cool ahhh I kinda wish it was application time already!! Except I don't because. Application time. shudders.
Thank you!! More questions: (I'm sorry. I can't help it. Officially diagnosed with questionitis over here :P) I've heard that it's possible to have in-college accommodation and kitchen access (I can't live without cooking) for all three years - would that happen to be true???

The drama society sounds so so so cool ahhh I kinda wish it was application time already!! Except I don't because. Application time. shudders.

Haha, you may ask as many questions as you like :colone: :banana: :nutcase:

Yes, that is completely correct! :awesome: Basically if you are made an offer, at some point between you accepting said offer and results day, you will receive correspondence from the Domestic Bursar, asking if you have any particular requests regarding your first-year accommodation. 72% of the undergrad accommodation is en suite and with access to good kitchen facilities anyway but when you get that message, just respond back being like "GIMME KITCHEN NOOOOOOOW!!! :fuhrer: " and you will hopefully get one! :biggrin:

1. N/A
2. N/A
3. N/A

See, I said the ducks were the most important factor. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great thread; thank you.

1. How much of the focus in the lectures and tutorials is on preparing for examinations rather than on developing mental skills generally? For example, in tutorials do you spend any time on exam techniques etc, or is it assumed that you are already possessed of those?

2. Is there much variation in the quality of teaching between colleges? I've heard of the so-called 'Norrington table', and wondered whether the colleges that have the highest number of 'firsts' have better teachers or simply admit more promising candidates.

3. In arts/humanities subjects what is the recommended length of tutorial essays?

4. One of the stereotypes is of the absent-minded nerdishly brilliant don. Have you found more, or fewer, of these specimens than you expected?
Do you know Oxford's personal standpoint on re-sitting exams? I was told that re-sitting wasn't very desirable and thus if you had to re-sit a module in any of your subjects you would ultimately be put at a disadvantage when applying (because it's so competitive ).
Original post by Davide_online
Great thread; thank you.

1. How much of the focus in the lectures and tutorials is on preparing for examinations rather than on developing mental skills generally? For example, in tutorials do you spend any time on exam techniques etc, or is it assumed that you are already possessed of those?

2. Is there much variation in the quality of teaching between colleges? I've heard of the so-called 'Norrington table', and wondered whether the colleges that have the highest number of 'firsts' have better teachers or simply admit more promising candidates.

3. In arts/humanities subjects what is the recommended length of tutorial essays?

4. One of the stereotypes is of the absent-minded nerdishly brilliant don. Have you found more, or fewer, of these specimens than you expected?

Former law student here.

1. I honestly don't recall much time being spent on exam preparation/ exam technique, if at all. The closest thing I can think of is our tutors having a Finalists' session in my last year where they went over how to prepare for Finals, and even then it was mostly stuff like how to plan revision, maintaining a healthy lifestyle etc. I don't remember if they did something similar before first year exams, but if they did, it was probably stuff like reminding us to manage time properly and to follow the rubric requirements.

In terms of essays, you get weekly feedback from the tutors, so you'll figure out what needs work soon enough. Students are also required to sit mock exams (called collections) at the start of every term, so by the time exams come round, you would have done each paper at least once through at full length. Collections are marked, so again you'll get feedback (eg if your time management needs improvement).

It was pretty much a "figure it out as you go along" thing, although you can certainly arrange to see your tutors separately if you want more help.

2. I don't think quality of teaching has much to do with how highly your college ranks in the Norrington. Some tutors are better than others, but I don't think there's an overall co-relation with Norrington performance. Some colleges are more keen on academics though (eg a higher Collections mark is required to avoid resitting); Merton and Magdalen come to mind.

Getting a first is not simply about teaching quality - there're so many factors that go into it (eg how hard students work, luck)

3. Depends on your tutors. Some will specify a strict limit (eg 1500/ 2000), others will let you write whatever you want, still others want you to complete the essay under timed conditions (ie whatever you can realistically write in 45-60 minutes). Absent a word limit, my essays were usually somewhere between 2000 - 3000 words each.

4. Personally, I don't think my tutors were absent-minded - they were all quite on top of things and pretty intelligent, if a bit nerdish at times (although they've also been known to go clubbing with us after our annual subject dinner too ...) I did have one stereotypical Oxford don who was old, balding, male, extremely intelligent, and rather acerbic in his feedback! He was an amazing tutor though.

That said, like the students, tutors come in all shapes and sizes, and the only thing they typically have in common are intelligence and a passion for the subject.
Thanks ever so much. Super helpful information.:smile:
Original post by Davide_online

In lectures? Not much in my experience. There very much is still exam technique, often in a very different way to pre-university (for example, a colleague doing history was telling me how oxford essays are the opposite of a-level, in that you are trying to push your own ideas about the question not repeating old views or giving a 'balanced' view). It's just that most of that comes from essay feedback and mock exams rather than big lectures (which, frankly, you probably won't attend as a humanities student anyway).

If you look at the actual numbers you'll see the variation is minimal. The table is highly volatile with colleges regularly moving up or down 20 places. For those that do have a consistent tend, you also have to consider the fact that sciences give out more 1st than arts, and that some colleges have more of one than the other.

What little difference remains (and it is very little) will be a combination of the factors you mention.

It's of note that by far the most significant correlation with college Norrington table position is college wealth.

Mostly true. Mainly the absent-minded part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
Some colleges are more keen on academics though (eg a higher Collections mark is required to avoid resitting); Merton and Magdalen come to mind.

In my experience it works paradoxically though - those struggling with results tend to be the ones intruding blanket rules. For instance, in my day (about 4 years ago now) Jesus were making anyone who didn't get a 2.1 in collections resit, whereas Merton had no rules and people who got 40s or 30s might be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending