The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by dbmag9
Love it. :awesome:

I think it's an old one, LOL.
Can we study in the main Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Camera even if they don't house books for our subjects? Does anyone ever do this?
Original post by bluepenguin
Can we study in the main Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Camera even if they don't house books for our subjects? Does anyone ever do this?

If you're ordering from the stacks, you can ask it to be sent to a library other than the one for your subject (unless things have changed since my time). So for example in the run-up to Finals, my tutorial partner would order as many books as feasible to the Taylorian, as it was just across the road from us :yes:
Reply 1383

Yes, yes.
Reply 1384
Oh is Oxford really incredible and are you all absolutely amazingly clever and is this the coolest university on the planet and will I be a star and will I be rich and will you all love me and will 15 As be enough and will my Bod card make me feel amazingly superior???? Pant, pant.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
If you're ordering from the stacks, you can ask it to be sent to a library other than the one for your subject (unless things have changed since my time). So for example in the run-up to Finals, my tutorial partner would order as many books as feasible to the Taylorian, as it was just across the road from us :yes:

Original post by dbmag9
Yes, yes.

Thank you! I just hope people won't be annoyed if I'm 'taking up space' at their library :P
Thank you! I just hope people won't be annoyed if I'm 'taking up space' at their library :P

Loads of people work in the Rad Cam regardless of subject - I don't blame them in the slightest :biggrin:
Original post by dbmag9
Yes, yes.

Is the RadCam a crowded place to study?
Original post by Blutooth
Is the RadCam a crowded place to study?

Yes, like mad. The lower areas though, the interlinking passage way between the Rad Cam and the Bod proper, are usually more quite.
Original post by The Lyceum
Yes, like mad. The lower areas though, the interlinking passage way between the Rad Cam and the Bod proper, are usually more quite.

Thanks. I was hoping to do most of my studies in the RadCam since Hertford's library seemed quite small. But I guess I could study underground too :smile:
Original post by The Lyceum

you mean the Gladstone Link? I'd say it's just as packed usually, since it has a wider variety of books but less space. You have to consider that the History Faculty Library is moving to the Rad Cam next year, though, that will change a few things.
Reply 1391
Anyone have a good idea of the accommodation at Univ or Magdalen? Do ensuites actually shape up to be decent and are the rooms suitably warm? I've heard that sometimes it can get a bit nippy in the winter/colder months.
Original post by MrCarmady
You have to consider that the History Faculty Library is moving to the Rad Cam next year, though, that will change a few things.

Yeah I was going to bring this up. I'm not going to lie I haven't read the revised proposal and it's probably in there, but I have NO IDEA how it's going to work seating wise in the Rad Cam next year. :confused: the past few weeks it's been a struggle to find a seat as it is...:s-smilie:
Original post by Abbseh
Anyone have a good idea of the accommodation at Univ or Magdalen? Do ensuites actually shape up to be decent and are the rooms suitably warm? I've heard that sometimes it can get a bit nippy in the winter/colder months.

I hear Magdalen's second and third year rooms tend to be very nice. Of course, with most old rooms insulation is poor so reports of it being cold may well be true. Certainly got some of that at Merton! Used my living room only as storage for the winter months!

At Univ they have to live in Summertown in second year don't they?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1394
How relaxed in terms of work load are your holidays both between terms and in summer. I ask from a science perspective but all responses very welcome :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1395
Original post by JayReg
How relaxed in terms of work load are your holidays both between terms and in summer. I ask from a science perspective but all responses very welcome :smile:

Thanks

I've been told that in theory we're supposed to be working in vacations at 2/3 the termtime workload. No-one actually sticks to that, but it gives you the idea that the work doesn't stop just because you're not in Oxford (and they deliberately call them vacations rather than holidays for that reason). Terms are so short that you cover something in lectures, do a problem sheet on it, then get to grips with it in a tutorial, and then immediately move on to the next thing, so vacations are good for consolidating what you've covered at a more comfortable pace.

Don't let that sound terrifying and scary (most people I know didn't work particularly hard in any of the last vacations) but be aware that the expectation is there.
Original post by Abbseh

I can't speak for Magdalen, but at Univ it can get quite cold - they've just fitted a lot of the older rooms with double glazing, but there's only one door between some of the shared toilets and the outside world, so they can literally freeze... Kitchen facilities are also limited in first and second years, but it gets a lot better on both of those fronts when you move up to Summertown in third year. Only downside there is that you're then quite far out of town... On the positive side though, most of the second year rooms I've seen are HUGE. Like, my boyfriend has a room that's easily twice the size of mine at Catz (which isn't small), not counting attached bedroom, all to himself. Most of the rooms that size are shared (so, big study area with two bedrooms coming off it) but nobody I've talked to is ever wanting for space. Plus, it is a beautiful college :smile: Don't know about ensuites, I don't know anybody who's had one. Also bear in mind I don't actually go to Univ, all my information is second hand!
Original post by JayReg

Thanks

Original post by dbmag9
I've been told that in theory we're supposed to be working in vacations at 2/3 the termtime workload. No-one actually sticks to that, but it gives you the idea that the work doesn't stop just because you're not in Oxford (and they deliberately call them vacations rather than holidays for that reason). Terms are so short that you cover something in lectures, do a problem sheet on it, then get to grips with it in a tutorial, and then immediately move on to the next thing, so vacations are good for consolidating what you've covered at a more comfortable pace.

Don't let that sound terrifying and scary (most people I know didn't work particularly hard in any of the last vacations) but be aware that the expectation is there.

Much less pressure over the summer though - loads of time off :wink:
Original post by MrCarmady
you mean the Gladstone Link? I'd say it's just as packed usually, since it has a wider variety of books but less space. You have to consider that the History Faculty Library is moving to the Rad Cam next year, though, that will change a few things.

namely, it'll be empty cos historians do no work ever.

FACT
How is the atmosphere at Oxford for international students? It would be great if any current international students could share a bit about their experiences. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending