The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

If the X5 is only 3 hours now, it's improved a lot since my day :shakecane:

I can drive Cambridge-Oxford in under 2 hours. Much more fun, though not an option for undergrads.
Original post by ukdragon37
But I've travelled fine on just my normal student card? :confused:

And they even say on their own FAQs:

"What are the ticket types on route X5?
Anyone aged over 60 years old without an English concessionary pass, or a student with NUS, NUS Extra, ISIC or Oxford University/ Cambridge University photo ID card."

Also there was a funny post on Overheard at Cambridge that they don't accept Anglia Ruskin student cards :wink:

They must have changed it since my day, as a driver explicitly told me it had to be an NUS card. :dontknow:
Hi all,

Could anyone enlighten me on the usefulness of the Marshall Society? Also any recommendations for other societies to join?
Original post by I'll.Be.Back
Could somebody tell me a little bit about the Cambridge offer holders open day please? (Newnham)

What is it that you want to know exactly? Last year, from what I remember it was a case of sitting in the Jane Harrison room at the start, meeting people and then having a few talks from admissions tutors, the freshers rep and other first years (now second years). Then we broke off into groups with a first year who gave us a tour of the college and showed us different parts/rooms etc. After that we went back to the Jane Harrison room for lunch which Newnham provided and then we met with our DoS and the other offer holders for our subject (who managed to come on the day). There's also a little bit that parents can go on in the morning - tours etc.

All in all I found it to be a very useful day, even as a direct applicant.
Reply 3984
Original post by iwasato.masao
Hi all,

Could anyone enlighten me on the usefulness of the Marshall Society? Also any recommendations for other societies to join?

If you want to network with investment banking/consulting recruiters, it's great. If you want anything else, it's pretty much useless, though I'm not a member so I can't say for certain!

As for other societies - what are you looking for? Need a bit more information on your tastes...
Hi all,

Unless it has changed significantly since my day (2008-2011), it's more or less useless. Then again, membership was only something like £5 so there isn't much to lose by joining.
Original post by lp386
If you want to network with investment banking/consulting recruiters, it's great. If you want anything else, it's pretty much useless, though I'm not a member so I can't say for certain!

As for other societies - what are you looking for? Need a bit more information on your tastes...

Does this mean there are fast-track application opportunities from those recruiters? Do you mind sharing why you didn't join? (I assume you are an economist too.)

I have always enjoyed Tango dancing and photography, but I'm very much interested in trying out things I haven't done before. Rowing (in river) would certainly be one of them, and I'm open to all suggestions.

Original post by alex_hk90
Unless it has changed significantly since my day (2008-2011), it's more or less useless. Then again, membership was only something like £5 so there isn't much to lose by joining.

Was it at least helpful for career/recruiting?
(edited 11 years ago)

Don't know - I didn't go to any events and there weren't that many and they didn't sound that interesting. You can just go to the career fairs for that purpose.
Original post by alex_hk90
Don't know - I didn't go to any events and there weren't that many and they didn't sound that interesting. You can just go to the career fairs for that purpose.

Good point. Thank you.
What do I want to know about Cambridge? Whether or not I've got in...
Reply 3990
Does this mean there are fast-track application opportunities from those recruiters? Do you mind sharing why you didn't join? (I assume you are an economist too.)

I have always enjoyed Tango dancing and photography, but I'm very much interested in trying out things I haven't done before. Rowing (in river) would certainly be one of them, and I'm open to all suggestions.

Yes, I'm an economist. I didn't join because I didn't feel it'd be at all useful to me - I'm not interested in going into banking/the big consulting firms, and the careerist atmosphere put me off a bit. I'm definitely in a minority on that.

I think people think that hobnobbing with recruiters and going to these drinks/information sessions helps with recruitment, but I don't think there's evidence for it.

Your college will be able to sort you out with rowing opportunities - there's also dance societies and I'd be surprised if there isn't something for photography as well.
Reply 3991
Original post by iamsherlocked
What do I want to know about Cambridge? Whether or not I've got in...

Still swimming, huh?
Original post by Nyolg
Still swimming, huh?

Unfortunately yep.
Reply 3993
Original post by iamsherlocked
Unfortunately yep.

Some would argue if that's unfortunate situation to be in. What college/subject? Have you got any other offers?
Original post by Nyolg
Some would argue if that's unfortunate situation to be in. What college/subject? Have you got any other offers?

True that, I think the general feeling in the pool thread at the moment though is that we would rather know a rejection than be left swimming. I'm pretty sure mine's gonna be a rejection, but wish I knew for sure, if only so that I can have a concrete answer to give to the constant "Have you heard anything yet?"s at school...

English, originally applied to Emma, re-interviewed at Churchill and Christ's last week, I was horrendous in my Churchill interview but Christ's was much better, but the next day got a rejection from Christ's. Still not a peep out of Churchill, which people keep telling me is a good sign, but I really don't think so as like I say I was awful at Churchill...

Yeah, I have three offers :smile: probably going to firm Bristol :smile:
Reply 3995
So it's not that bad after all. And don't be so hasty, after my 1st interview at Pembroke I wanted to jump of the bridge :wink:. I do know that waiting seems to be even worse than geting an rejection and whatever I say it won't make that waiting any better. You'll be fine and I can only assure you that we all know the feeling :].
Original post by I'll.Be.Back
Thanks for the info :smile:. How many girls were there roughly? Or say, as a proportion of the offer holders?
And can I ask, what's a Director of Studies?
Did the day really motivate you, and want you to end up at Cambridge even more so than previously? (if possible...)

Sorry about the long list :s-smilie:

I'd say around half of the girls went on the day, perhaps more. Quite a few were on gap years and others couldn't make it for different reasons. There are five people on my course this year; three of us went to the offer holders day, one was on her gap year and the other was on a school trip, and only one of the three of us was pooled.

A Director of Studies is your first port of call academically. You tend to go and see them at the end of term to see how you've got on, if you've had any problems etc. From the Cambridge website:

A College officer responsible for the overall conduct of a student's academic work, including advice on examinations and lectures, and for the assignment of the student to one or more Supervisors.

It did motivate me a little and I felt it was good to go, having got an offer, knowing that there is now a good chance that that is where you'll be going to university, and you get to see it with new eyes and meet your potential friends even before you start. I met a girl at the Offer Holders day who then turned up at my interview at another university which meant I knew someone there who I could talk to so that was useful! And you also get to meet your DoS away from interviews (as my DoS interviewed me).
Does anyone know if Cambridge do any Post Offer Open Days? Or do they not bother with this ? ta :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
Does anyone know if Cambridge do any Post Offer Open Days? Or do they not bother with this ? ta :smile:

Some colleges do. I might be wrong in saying it is often the ones that take a large number of poolees that hold them. King's state on their website that they don't, whereas I know a couple of my friends last year had post-offer open days at Homerton and Newnham. :smile: (Another of my friends who is at Corpus didn't have one)

Contact your admissions office - I'm sure they will be more than happy for you to come down and visit if you want, but I don't think you'll be able to organise a meeting with subject tutors. Best to check the Corpus website.
Original post by Oromis263
Some colleges do. I might be wrong in saying it is often the ones that take a large number of poolees that hold them. King's state on their website that they don't, whereas I know a couple of my friends last year had post-offer open days at Homerton and Newnham. :smile: (Another of my friends who is at Corpus didn't have one)

Contact your admissions office - I'm sure they will be more than happy for you to come down and visit if you want, but I don't think you'll be able to organise a meeting with subject tutors. Best to check the Corpus website.

Thank You for such a quick reply !! :smile: I looked on Corpus's site and it doesn't mention anything, I noticed on Kings site It says they do not hold any post offer days either so yeah I reckon your right - those who take a lot from the pool maybe offer one.

I have already visited and met with my DOS on an College specific open day so I have no need to visit Corpus again (although it would be nice aha). I was more interested to see if Cam do any departmental one's, but after scouring the Psychology departments website I don't think they do - I guess we are just expected to accept (and rightly so ofc :wink: ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending