The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

Wouldn't you say it's more of a matter of perspective?

No, the botanic garden at Cambridge is objectively better. Larger, better landscaped, more interesting plants, better layout...

(I'm from near Oxford and studied at Cambridge, so I have some experience of this)
My mistake then.

But still -
From the course layout, could someone please clarify, whether I can do German with Beginner's Latin at Cambridge, because this page confuses me somewhat (but I think only beginners c.Greek can be taken) - and I need to know, as this might be a defining factor of whether or not I will go through with Cambridge.

Seems pretty clear:

"Latin may only be taken by students who have studied to A Level, but Greek may be studied as an ab initio language or post A Level."
Has anyone done the BMAT test?
If only they were more talkative....

Wouldn't you say it's more of a matter of perspective?

Anyways, some serious questions that I have. For any course, in the prospectus for Cambridge, the requirements stated are A*AA. Does one not require to do an aptitude test (e.g. CAT, MLAT), or provide written work?

And one other thing I've hear from many people - the living costs for any college is not very reasonable, when looking at the quality of the food and accomodation. Is that true?

Hi, details of assessment by various colleges can be found on the relevant course pages of the University website. Many colleges will ask to see a piece of school work, but you will be informed of what is required once you apply. I think that living costs can be very reasonable, bearing in mind you only pay rent for when you're in residence and much of the accommodation is right in the centre of town - private rents in the same areas are astronomical!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, details of assessment by various colleges can be found on the relevant course pages of the University website. Many colleges will ask to see a piece of school work, but you will be informed of what is required once you apply. I think that living costs can be very reasonable, bearing in mind you only pay rent for when you're in residence and much of the accommodation is right in the centre of town - private rents in the same areas are astronomical!

Why did cambridge put the 2015 offer statistics up then takw them down. When are they going to be put up. Was there an error with the old ones
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
I'm just wondering - do students who only "just" achieve their offer get looked down upon? Its probably quite naive of me to think this but since so many students are absolute boffins, I would be curious to know how and/or whether students compare how they did at A Level once they get to Cambridge - from what I've read the answer seems to be no but nevertheless it would be interesting to have a student's perspective on this.
Original post by Weaving
I'm just wondering - do students who only "just" achieve their offer get looked down upon? Its probably quite naive of me to think this but since so many students are absolute boffins, I would be curious to know how and/or whether students compare how they did at A Level once they get to Cambridge - from what I've read the answer seems to be no but nevertheless it would be interesting to have a student's perspective on this.

Would anyone really ask? If you're there you're there :lol: I'd maybe ask which a Levels someone did, but never their grades
Original post by Weaving

When I was there, we didn't have A*s, so it was just assumed that everyone had AAA or above. I don't think anyone ever asked my grades/UMS, though we did talk about what subjects we had done. I doubt it will have changed much with the introduction of A*s, but don't worry that people will look down on you!
Original post by Weaving

As someone who actually missed their offer, I can say that when you get to Cambridge it's a totally level playing field. You might feel a little intimidated by everyone with eight A*s, but it becomes an irrelevance pretty much as soon as you get your first piece of serious work marked.
Original post by Weaving

No, and it is quite naive of you to think this. :h:
Original post by Weaving

The only thing people ask about A-Levels, if they do at all (because really, it was brought up maybe once if that), is the subjects you did. No one asks about your grades. No one cares. They're irrelevant when you're here, and even then most people aren't intent on doing the best in their class or year, the focus is doing the best you can for YOU and nobody else. Example, I could not care less what other people get, as long as I'm making progress and that I get a 2.1 in my exams. I'm quite comforted by the fact that my DoS said she didn't care if we got even a third this year, it's a 4-year process and what's important is our final year marks, they're what actually counts (MML). Of course, we and they would be at least a little disappointed but it doesn't mean you can't improve over the time.
Original post by Paralove
The only thing people ask about A-Levels, if they do at all (because really, it was brought up maybe once if that), is the subjects you did. No one asks about your grades. No one cares. They're irrelevant when you're here, and even then most people aren't intent on doing the best in their class or year, the focus is doing the best you can for YOU and nobody else. Example, I could not care less what other people get, as long as I'm making progress and that I get a 2.1 in my exams. I'm quite comforted by the fact that my DoS said she didn't care if we got even a third this year, it's a 4-year process and what's important is our final year marks, they're what actually counts (MML). Of course, we and they would be at least a little disappointed but it doesn't mean you can't improve over the time.

she only says this because she got something like A*AA lol

Original post by Weaving
Original post by frigg113
she only says this because she got something like A*AA lol

What?
Original post by Paralove

All years "count". Yes there might not be any specific weighting but you get a grade for each year which goes on your record rather than an "overall" grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
All years "count". Yes there might not be any specific weighting but you get a grade for each year which goes on your record rather than an "overall" grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

english and history first year pre-lims don't; you either pass or fail.
Original post by Guills on wheels
english and history first year pre-lims don't; you either pass or fail.

Even in History and English the prelim grades appear on your transcript, but they don't count towards your overall grade as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on what your interpretation of 'counting' is - imo if it does not affect your degree classification for when you graduate, it doesn't "count" per se. Of course you actually have to pass the exams but getting a third in first year doesn't mean you won't get better for exams you take in later years...
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience of doing a language on the side of your studies? So at the language centre for example. I remember discussing it at interview, and the DS mentioned it was possible, but that it can be overwhelming on top of the existing workload. I am specifically thinking of HSPS, or any other Arts subject, but any experience would be great!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at Cambridge. Your exam results and dissertation (if applicable) in your final year is/are the only thing that counts for your degree you graduate with. There was even an article in CAM (quarterly magazine for alumni) last year on psychological pressure the final year students suffer pre/post-final exams; many reported to have final exam-related nightmares many years after graduation.
Someone I know who'd got a first in her first & second year and was the top of her year in both years missed a first by a few points in her final year. As the result she graduated last year with 2.1 as her cantab degree, missing an offer from Oxford for their masters course.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending