The Student Room Group

Bio unit 4 exam prep game

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axellia

Describe the events of the electron transport chain in respiration.

Occurs in the inner mitochondrial membranes
Proteins in the inner mitochondrial membranes act as electron carriers and form the electron transfer chain.
Electrons pass from reduced NAD to the first electron carrier (reduced NAD is oxidised, electron carrier is reduced)
This process continues along the chain until the electrons are transferred to oxygen (the terminal electron acceptor)
The reduced oxygen combines with hydrogen (which was lost when reduced NAD was oxidised - the H2 was inbetween the membranes and came back through the membrane embedded in ATP synthase) to form water. ATP is also formed.

Which countries are in stage 2 of the demographic transition model? (1 mark)
Reply 41
Original post by orange.bananna
Occurs in the inner mitochondrial membranes
Proteins in the inner mitochondrial membranes act as electron carriers and form the electron transfer chain.
Electrons pass from reduced NAD to the first electron carrier (reduced NAD is oxidised, electron carrier is reduced)
This process continues along the chain until the electrons are transferred to oxygen (the terminal electron acceptor)
The reduced oxygen combines with hydrogen (which was lost when reduced NAD was oxidised - the H2 was inbetween the membranes and came back through the membrane embedded in ATP synthase) to form water. ATP is also formed.

Which countries are in stage 2 of the demographic transition model? (1 mark)

Cant answer your question but can you explain this to me please? Tad confused

'The reduced oxygen combines with hydrogen (which was lost when reduced NAD was oxidised - the H2 was inbetween the membranes and came back through the membrane embedded in ATP synthase) to form water. ATP is also formed.'

Thanks
Original post by Sockhead
Cant answer your question but can you explain this to me please? Tad confused

'The reduced oxygen combines with hydrogen (which was lost when reduced NAD was oxidised - the H2 was inbetween the membranes and came back through the membrane embedded in ATP synthase) to form water. ATP is also formed.'

Thanks

Sorry I was probably a bit confusing in the way i wrote that, I find it hard to write things in an order when multiple things happen at once.

When electrons are passed from reduced NAD to the electron carrier - some energy is lost, some if this energy is used to pump hydrogen ions out through the inner mitochondrial membrane into the space between the membrane and the outer membrane.
There is now a greater concentration of hydrogen ions in the space between the membranes than the mitochondiral matrix. The only way in which hydrogen can get back through the inner membrane is through embedded enzymes called ATP synthase.
As the hydrogen ions pass through these enzymes enough potential energy is released to form ATP.
The hydrogen ions that have passed through combine with the oxygen (terminal electron acceptor) that has already recieved electrons from the electron transport chain - hence forming water.

Is that clearer? I find some of this stuff really hard to explain.
Reply 43
Sorry I was probably a bit confusing in the way i wrote that, I find it hard to write things in an order when multiple things happen at once.

When electrons are passed from reduced NAD to the electron carrier - some energy is lost, some if this energy is used to pump hydrogen ions out through the inner mitochondrial membrane into the space between the membrane and the outer membrane.
There is now a greater concentration of hydrogen ions in the space between the membranes than the mitochondiral matrix. The only way in which hydrogen can get back through the inner membrane is through embedded enzymes called ATP synthase.
As the hydrogen ions pass through these enzymes enough potential energy is released to form ATP.
The hydrogen ions that have passed through combine with the oxygen (terminal electron acceptor) that has already recieved electrons from the electron transport chain - hence forming water.

Is that clearer? I find some of this stuff really hard to explain.

Blimy, that re-written one is fantastic - good job :smile:
My teacher never taught the movement of the hydrogen ions in that much detail - tad worried now!

I know what you mean - explaining anything to do with respiration throws me completely tbh. Im just happy I've started revising today, feeling slightly better about myself :smile:

oh: LOVE. THIS. THREAD. <3

Thanks again
Blimy, that re-written one is fantastic - good job :smile:
My teacher never taught the movement of the hydrogen ions in that much detail - tad worried now!

I know what you mean - explaining anything to do with respiration throws me completely tbh. Im just happy I've started revising today, feeling slightly better about myself :smile:

oh: LOVE. THIS. THREAD. <3

Thanks again

Haha, thanks - I'm not sure how much detail we need to know about for the exam though, my teacher is generally quite cautious and gives us way more detail than we need, just in case...

Explaining anything related to photosynthesis or respiration I find hard. I try to talk about too many steps of the process at once...

I love this thread to, so helpful for going over stuff!
Last question was:

Which countries are in stage 2 of the demographich transition model? (1 mark)
Reply 46
Last question was:

No idea. Was this a past paper question? I didn't even know there are stages :colondollar:
Anyway my random guess would be Packistan/India

Wont add a question until this one is answered correctly :wink:
Reply 47
Last question was:

What is stage two supposed to mean? That is too ambiguous.
You could mean increasing population or decreasing population or stablising population, not everyone has been taught this way (in 'stages') in exam papers they will normally have a demographic transition model drawn, more clarification would be helpful thanks.
No idea. Was this a past paper question? I didn't even know there are stages :colondollar:
Anyway my random guess would be Packistan/India

Wont add a question until this one is answered correctly :wink:

No it wasn't in a past paper, just something I had in my biol file
Yea most LEDC's are in stage 2 - the early expanding stage
-total population rising
-high birth rate
-fallin death rate
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Axellia
What is stage two supposed to mean? That is too ambiguous.
You could mean increasing population or decreasing population or stablising population, not everyone has been taught this way (in 'stages') in exam papers they will normally have a demographic transition model drawn, more clarification would be helpful thanks.

Sorry, i presumed everyone was taught it in stages :P
If you look to my post above this one, I have defined what i've learnt as stage 2.
Reply 50
Most organisms in the first trophic level are single-celled protoctists.
How do these organisms acquire their energy? (1 mark)
Reply 51
Most organisms in the first trophic level are single-celled protoctists.
How do these organisms acquire their energy? (1 mark)

if that means what i think it is (never heard the word protoctists so... )

these organisms obtain energy from Uv light rays in the sun wich is then used for the light dependant reaction of photosynthesis to genarate atp.

(is that right)

Q. how does bacteria make Carbon available to a plants leaf cell and what is that carbon used for? (5 marks)

my internet is going so slow today.... im going to have to go south for internet...... :P
Reply 52
Original post by chill543
if that means what i think it is (never heard the word protoctists so... )

these organisms obtain energy from Uv light rays in the sun wich is then used for the light dependant reaction of photosynthesis to genarate atp.

(is that right)

Q. how does bacteria make Carbon available to a plants leaf cell and what is that carbon used for? (5 marks)

my internet is going so slow today.... im going to have to go south for internet...... :P

Same - it was a past paper questions and you did get it right, good job :smile:

Umm: Saprobiotic bacteria break down dead animals and plants through extracellular digestion by secreting enzymes that break down complex carbon molecules into more simple molecules. They absorb these simple molecules, and release them again through respiration as co2 molecules in the atmosphere.
CO2 Molecules then enter plants via photosynthesis, through their stomata via diffusion, and carry on diffusing through mesophyll cells until it reaches the stroma where it is used during the light independent reaction/calvin cycle to join with (5C)RubP

(Correct?)

What are the products from the krebs cycle and how are they formed (aka Citric cycle) (5 mark)
Reply 53
Same - it was a past paper questions and you did get it right, good job :smile:

Umm: Saprobiotic bacteria break down dead animals and plants through extracellular digestion by secreting enzymes that break down complex carbon molecules into more simple molecules. They absorb these simple molecules, and release them again through respiration as co2 molecules in the atmosphere.
CO2 Molecules then enter plants via photosynthesis, through their stomata via diffusion, and carry on diffusing through mesophyll cells until it reaches the stroma where it is used during the light independent reaction/calvin cycle to join with (5C)RubP

(Correct?)

What are the products from the krebs cycle and how are they formed (aka Citric cycle) (5 mark)

Yes that correct

right in school now working with some of these qeustions,
for your qestion i wrote...

the products of the krebs cycle are rFAD, rNAD and ATP.
they are formed by acetyl coenzyme A with a 4C compound to form a 6c compound. this 6c coumound realeases 2 CO2 an in the process it genarates ; ATP, rNAD from NAD, and rFAD from FAD and converts into a 4C compound. This forms part of a cycle and this 4C compound reacts with Acetyl Coenzyme a

(is that right R.S.V.P)

Q. (new qesution weve had the old one :P ) what are mutualistic bacteria and what do they do?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Yes that correct

right in school now working with some of these qeustions,
for your qestion i wrote...

the products of the krebs cycle are rFAD, rNAD and ATP.
they are formed by acetyl coenzyme A with a 4C compound to form a 6c compound. this 6c coumound realeases 2 CO2 an in the process it genarates ; ATP, rNAD from NAD, and rFAD from FAD and converts into a 4C compound. This forms part of a cycle and this 4C compound reacts with Acetyl Coenzyme a

(is that right R.S.V.P)

Q. (new qesution weve had the old one :P ) what are mutualistic bacteria and what do they do?

I think thats right. Its what id put anyway .. its one of those questions that baffles me tbh :P

Oookie:
Mutualistic bacteria as well as free living bacteria are both types of nitrogen fixing bacteria. The mutualistic bacteria 'fix' nitrogen from the soil and atmosphere and convert it into ammonia, which then undergoes the process of the nitrogen cycle.

Not sure how much you want here :P

Name two conditions that must be met for the hardy-weinburge principle to work
Reply 55
I think thats right. Its what id put anyway .. its one of those questions that baffles me tbh :P

Oookie:
Mutualistic bacteria as well as free living bacteria are both types of nitrogen fixing bacteria. The mutualistic bacteria 'fix' nitrogen from the soil and atmosphere and convert it into ammonia, which then undergoes the process of the nitrogen cycle.

Not sure how much you want here :P

Name two conditions that must be met for the hardy-weinburge principle to work

[correct!]

No mutation.
no Migration.
No births/deaths

last one on respiration / phot for me i think im going to mix it up a little bit to some of the other stuff (dont have book on me atm :P or my notes :'( )

outline the process in wich Glucose is conveted into acetylCoenzymeA. state all substances producesed (ill get a good one for tommorow dont ya worry!! :smile: )
[correct!]

No mutation.
no Migration.
No births/deaths

last one on respiration / phot for me i think im going to mix it up a little bit to some of the other stuff (dont have book on me atm :P or my notes :'( )

outline the process in wich Glucose is conveted into acetylCoenzymeA. state all substances producesed (ill get a good one for tommorow dont ya worry!! :smile: )

Glycolysis
A molecule of Glucose is converted into 2 molecules of TP. This requires 2ATP - which is converted to 2ADP.
TP is then converted into pyruvate, each TP molecules requires 2ADP molecules that are converted to 2ATP and an NAD which is converted to reduced NAD
In total the net products of glycolysis are 2 ATP and 2 reduced NAD.
Links Reaction
Pyruvate is converted to acetylcoenzyme A, by the loss of CO2 and hydrogen - the hydrogen is used to reduce a molecule of NAD to reduced NAD.

Using the hardy-weinberg equation:
T is the dominant allele, and t is the rececive allele. The frequency of t is 0.3. How many people in a population of 500 would you expect to be hetrozygous for this allele?
Reply 57
Glycolysis
A molecule of Glucose is converted into 2 molecules of TP. This requires 2ATP - which is converted to 2ADP.
TP is then converted into pyruvate, each TP molecules requires 2ADP molecules that are converted to 2ATP and an NAD which is converted to reduced NAD
Links Reaction
Pyruvate is converted to acetylcoenzyme A, by the loss of CO2 and hydrogen - the hydrogen is used to reduce a molecule of NAD to reduced NAD.

T is the dominant allele, and t is the rececive allele. The frequency of t is 0.3. How many people in a population of 500 would you expect to be hetrozygous for this allele?

Ugh I hate these so much :/

t = 0.3
p = 0.7

2pt = 2x0.7x0.3 = 0.42
0.42x10=4.2

frequency of heterozygous is 4.2

t^2 + 2pt + t^2 = 1
0.09 + 0.42 + 0.49 = 1

Honestly I have no idea what I'm doing :frown:
Reply 58
Glycolysis
Links Reaction

t=0.3
T=0.7
2x0.3x0.7=0.42
0.42x500=210

Describe the main different ways succession can be stopped to maintain a certain stage (prevent reaching climax community).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Axellia
t=0.3
T=0.7
2x0.3x0.7=0.42
0.42x500=210

Describe the main different ways succession can be stopped to maintain a certain stage (prevent reaching climax community).

Not sure if this is the correct terminology but is it deflective succession? So that includes any kind of human interference such as ploughing

Cant think of much else tbh

Question: Define 'sex linkage'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending