The Student Room Group

S2 Edexcel Tuesday 17th January SOLUTIONS IN FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
June 2006 Q4(b). They say that since the result is significant, then the rate of breakdowns occurring has decreased. But why? If the mean was 5 in 4 weeks, and 11 breakdown happened, how is this evidence that it's decreased??
Original post by Zhy
They may sometimes say it, though they sometimes don't. I'm doing the June 2006 paper right now and they haven't told me to use a 2-tailed test. You often have to deduce it from what I've seen.

I think you can either see if P(X<=p) < 0.05, or P(X >= p) > 0.95. Maybe someone can explain it clearer...

Ohh, I get it now. You have to adjust the significance level for the upper region. Thanks!
Reply 182
Anybody know the S2 June 2011 grade boundaries?
Reply 183
Original post by yingyang
anybody know the s2 june 2011 grade boundaries?

100 ums - 75
90 ums - 67
a - 59
b - 50
c - 41
d - 33
e - 25
Original post by Zhy
June 2006 Q4(b). They say that since the result is significant, then the rate of breakdowns occurring has decreased. But why? If the mean was 5 in 4 weeks, and 11 breakdown happened, how is this evidence that it's decreased??

Must just be an error/typo in the mark scheme as clearly the rate has increased.
Reply 185
Original post by safmaster
Must just be an error/typo in the mark scheme as clearly the rate has increased.

Yeah, that's what I thought... I guess it's a typo then.

BTW, in the examination practice paper in the new Edexcel S2 book, there's a typo in one of the questions! It says "apporoximation". Would have been ironic if it was a question about the occurrences of typos...
Reply 186
you know you've done too many questions in a short space of time when you notice the same review exercise 2 question with a tomato grower called 'Dhriti' in one of the past papers.
Reply 187
Original post by Xyonzz
you know you've done too many questions in a short space of time when you notice the same review exercise 2 question with a tomato grower called 'Dhriti' in one of the past papers.

Haha, I noticed that too. I looked at the Review Exercise questions and I noticed I had done almost all of them in past papers! Except the Pat/Lyn one. I just can't wait until this exam is over! Don't have to worry about any more exams until 30th... S3 seems more interesting, I'd like to go back to learning it but revision for S2 has been getting in the way.
Reply 188
Original post by Zhy
Haha, I noticed that too. I looked at the Review Exercise questions and I noticed I had done almost all of them in past papers! Except the Pat/Lyn one. I just can't wait until this exam is over! Don't have to worry about any more exams until 30th... S3 seems more interesting, I'd like to go back to learning it but revision for S2 has been getting in the way.

yeah i know, that pat/lyn one was a killer though, had to do it twice to understand it haha. i'm doing s3 in june instead of fp3, better chance of getting an A* plus im going into actuarial science so. I've got 4 more exams :/ D1, C4, M2 and sociology, gonna die this monthhhhhhh
Reply 189
Original post by Xyonzz
yeah i know, that pat/lyn one was a killer though, had to do it twice to understand it haha. i'm doing s3 in june instead of fp3, better chance of getting an A* plus im going into actuarial science so. I've got 4 more exams :/ D1, C4, M2 and sociology, gonna die this monthhhhhhh

Ah, cool. Sorry to hear about having so many exams. I'm doing S3 in June alongside FP3 and... quite a few other modules... but hoping I can get a better chance at an A* by doing more modules.

Hmm, I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to apply for yet. Probably maths/physicsy type degree... will have to wait until next year.
Reply 190
Original post by Zhy
Ah, cool. Sorry to hear about having so many exams. I'm doing S3 in June alongside FP3 and... quite a few other modules... but hoping I can get a better chance at an A* by doing more modules.

Hmm, I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to apply for yet. Probably maths/physicsy type degree... will have to wait until next year.

I had 7 last jan and 11 last june so it's all good :tongue: i'm trying to get them all out of the way now so I only have S3/FP3 in June plus STEP/AEA for warwick which will be...challenging:rolleyes: you taking a gap year?
also, when they ask questions about approximations i.e.: binomial to poisson/normal, do we have to give specific values? i.e.: np large, or np larger than 10?
Reply 191
FP2*
Reply 192
Original post by Xyonzz
I had 7 last jan and 11 last june so it's all good :tongue: i'm trying to get them all out of the way now so I only have S3/FP3 in June plus STEP/AEA for warwick which will be...challenging:rolleyes: you taking a gap year?
also, when they ask questions about approximations i.e.: binomial to poisson/normal, do we have to give specific values? i.e.: np large, or np larger than 10?

No, I'm in Year 12... but finishing FM A-level with FM Additional this year (plus A2 chem, STEP/AEA). Didn't get to apply to uni so will just sort of fart around next year I suppose. Would have more time to screw some hot girls, etc (in my dreams).

Yes, in the mark scheme I just looked at you did have to give specific values. You're given lots of time in S2, you may as well write as much as possible! I guess we could make it a personal challenge to use up all of the writing space, haha.
Reply 193
Original post by Zhy
100 ums - 75
90 ums - 67
a - 59
b - 50
c - 41
d - 33
e - 25

thanks mate, shame i cant rep you since I have done too much recently apparently!

how is s3 btw?
Reply 194
Original post by YingYang
thanks mate, shame i cant rep you since I have done too much recently apparently!

how is s3 btw?

Haha it's okay, your rep would be kind of wasted anyway since I appear to be stuck at -3 rep... been like that for ages now even though I'm getting 10 positive rep a day, yet every time I get a neg it goes down...

S3 I remember being interesting! First chapter is a doddle because it's a continuation of S2, but the Chi-squared distribution stuff, confidence intervals, etc is where it starts to get pretty cool.
Original post by Zhy
Haha it's okay, your rep would be kind of wasted anyway since I appear to be stuck at -3 rep... been like that for ages now even though I'm getting 10 positive rep a day, yet every time I get a neg it goes down...

S3 I remember being interesting! First chapter is a doddle because it's a continuation of S2, but the Chi-squared distribution stuff, confidence intervals, etc is where it starts to get pretty cool.

Nice to hear that S3 is interesting. I'm self teaching and originally had planned to do M2/FP3 as my second year units but after actually quite enjoying S2 I'm seriously considering S3. Is the content more similar to S2 or S1 in nature though? Because S1 I found really quite boring with the whole venn diagrams and conditional probability stuff.
can someone tell if I'm correct

Approximations:

Binomial with poisson-(n large p small (np<10) so E(X)=Var (X). One mark scheme gave specific values of n>50 and p<0.2 but i havent found this in any other markscheme.)
Binomial with normal- (n large, p close to 0.5 np and nq>5)
poisson with normal- (lambda greater than 10)

any help is much appreciated!
Original post by robert jones

Approximations:

Binomial with poisson-(n large p small (np<10) so E(X)=Var (X). One mark scheme gave specific values of n>50 and p<0.2 but i havent found this in any other markscheme.)
Binomial with normal- (n large, p close to 0.5 np and nq>5)

Seems correct. It simplifys it a lot if you remember:
Binomial can be approximated by both normal and poisson distribution.
Poisson can ony be approximated by normal.

The only time you'll have to consider which to choose is if you have a binomial distribution. And then it's just:
- Poisson if np < 10
- Normal if p is close to 0.5

From what I've seen in past papers, the questions make it very obvious which to use e.g approximate X~B(100, 0.02) or X~B(50, 0.5).
Reply 198
Original post by Darkarium
Nice to hear that S3 is interesting. I'm self teaching and originally had planned to do M2/FP3 as my second year units but after actually quite enjoying S2 I'm seriously considering S3. Is the content more similar to S2 or S1 in nature though? Because S1 I found really quite boring with the whole venn diagrams and conditional probability stuff.

First chapter of S3 is nice. I haven't done lots of S3 but there is quite a lot of new material, and some of the concepts are tricky to get your head around. Don't worry, it isn't as boring as S1. I'd say it's as interesting as S2, but quite a bit trickier.
Reply 199
Original post by robert jones

Approximations:

Binomial with poisson-(n large p small (np&lt;10) so E(X)=Var (X). One mark scheme gave specific values of n&gt;50 and p&lt;0.2 but i havent found this in any other markscheme.)
Binomial with normal- (n large, p close to 0.5 np and nq&gt;5)

Original post by Darkarium
Seems correct. It simplifys it a lot if you remember:
Binomial can be approximated by both normal and poisson distribution.
Poisson can ony be approximated by normal.

The only time you'll have to consider which to choose is if you have a binomial distribution. And then it's just:
- Poisson if np &lt; 10
- Normal if p is close to 0.5

From what I've seen in past papers, the questions make it very obvious which to use e.g approximate X~B(100, 0.02) or X~B(50, 0.5).

They can be quite liberal with what constitutes 'small' and 'close to 0.5'. Generally it will be clear what sort of approximation you should use.

A rule of thumb is that if lambda comes out greater than 10 you will need a normal approximation (the tables in the formula book only go up to 10).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending