The Student Room Group

S2 Edexcel Tuesday 17th January SOLUTIONS IN FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We haven't had a definition question since June 2010. There has never been a gap of three papers with no definition papers, so we are due for a nice dosage of definition questions in Jan 2012.

I've memorised the definitions for these ones:

Sampling Unit
Sampling Frame
Sampling Distribution
Census
Sample
Hypothesis Test
Critical Region
Population
Statistic

The most popular seems to be 'statistic' followed closely by 'sampling distribution'. Would they ask us about ones like these, do you think:

One-tailed Test
Two-tailed Test
Discrete Variable
Continuous Variable
Statistical Model
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Zhy
We haven't had a definition question since June 2010. There has never been a gap of three papers with no definition papers, so we are due for a nice dosage of definition questions in Jan 2012.

I've memorised the definitions for these ones:

Sampling Unit
Sampling Frame
Sampling Distribution
Census
Sample
Hypothesis Test
Critical Region
Population
Statistic

The most popular seems to be 'statistic' followed closely by 'sampling distribution'. Would they ask us about ones like these, do you think:

One-tailed Test
Two-tailed Test
Discrete Variable
Continuous Variable
Statistical Model

No, I think the words in your first list are much more likely to come up. As you said, words such as 'statistic' are much more common; 'statistic' in particular has appeared in several past papers.
Reply 22
Original post by safmaster
No, I think the words in your first list are much more likely to come up. As you said, words such as 'statistic' are much more common; 'statistic' in particular has appeared in several past papers.

I'll learn them anyway just to be sure...

These are the definitions I'm using, can anyone tell me how to improve them or if any are wrong/unclear?

Sampling Unit - An individual member or element in a population or sampling frame.

Population - A complete collection of all items or individuals.

Statistic - A random variable that is a function of only known observations from a population, consisting of no unknown parameters.

Census - A census is where every member of the population is investigated.

Hypothesis Test - A hypothesis test is a mathematical procedure used to examine the value of a population parameter proposed by the null hypothesis H0, compared with the alternative hypothesis H1.

Sampling Frame - A list of all the members or elements in a population.

Sampling Distribution - All possible samples are chosen from the population; the values of a statistic and its associated probabilities form what is known as a sampling distribution.

Critical Region - The range of values of a test statistic that would lead you to reject the null hypothesis (H0) in a hypothesis test. The boundary (or boundaries) of a critical region is/are called the critical value(s), denoted c1 and c2.

One-tailed test - Testing whether or not a parameter is greater (or less) than a given value.

Two-tailed test - Testing whether or not a parameter is different to a given value.

Discrete Variable - A variable that can only have certain values, usually integers.

Continuous Variable - A variable that can take any value, usually in a given range.

Statistical Model - A mathematical description with allocates a probability p to each value of a variable X reflecting the relative likelihood of that value occurring.
Reply 23
Original post by Zhy
I'll learn them anyway just to be sure...

These are the definitions I'm using, can anyone tell me how to improve them or if any are wrong/unclear?

Sampling Unit - An individual member or element in a population or sampling frame.

Population - A complete collection of all items or individuals.

Statistic - A random variable that is a function of only known observations from a population, consisting of no unknown parameters.

Census - A census is where every member of the population is investigated.

Hypothesis Test - A hypothesis test is a mathematical procedure used to examine the value of a population parameter proposed by the null hypothesis H0, compared with the alternative hypothesis H1.

Sampling Frame - A list of all the members or elements in a population.

Sampling Distribution - All possible samples are chosen from the population; the values of a statistic and its associated probabilities form what is known as a sampling distribution.

Critical Region - The range of values of a test statistic that would lead you to reject the null hypothesis (H0) in a hypothesis test. The boundary (or boundaries) of a critical region is/are called the critical value(s), denoted c1 and c2.

One-tailed test - Testing whether or not a parameter is greater (or less) than a given value.

Two-tailed test - Testing whether or not a parameter is different to a given value.

Discrete Variable - A variable that can only have certain values, usually integers.

Continuous Variable - A variable that can take any value, usually in a given range.

Statistical Model - A mathematical description with allocates a probability p to each value of a variable X reflecting the relative likelihood of that value occurring.

I agree with all of them except perhaps for sampling distribution. I think a more clearer definition is: all possible values of a test statistic and their associated probabilities, in a probability distribution table, form what is known as a sampling distribution. Having said that, that's very similar to your definition. :smile:
Hi wondering if anyone could give me a hand.

S2 Jan 2011 Q1a)

A disease occurs in 3% of a population.

State any assumptions that are required to model the number of people with the disease in a random sample of size n as a binomial distribution.

I put that: There must be only two possibilities (disease or no disease), and having the disease is independent someone else having the disease.

According to the mark scheme only my second statement is correct.

It says:

Probability of occurrence constant
Occurs independently

Why are the other two conditions for Binomial distribution not acceptable?
Reply 25
When doing PDF to CDF or vice versa, how do you know if the boundaries are for example just '<' or '<orequalto'?
Reply 26
Original post by Mathssss
When doing PDF to CDF or vice versa, how do you know if the boundaries are for example just '<' or '<orequalto'?

I don't think it really matters because it's continuous, but in the mark schemes they appear to usually use the signs for the part that isn't just saying it is 0 or 1, and for a CDF you say 0 if x < a, and 1 if x > a. That's how I've seen it. Shouldn't really matter that much...
Reply 27
Original post by Zhy
I don't think it really matters because it's continuous, but in the mark schemes they appear to usually use the signs for the part that isn't just saying it is 0 or 1, and for a CDF you say 0 if x < a, and 1 if x > a. That's how I've seen it. Shouldn't really matter that much...

You can also use the {0, otherwise. instead of x > a etc, I've seen that on the mark scheme.

Im stuck on Jan 09 paper with this question:
'It is suggested the PDF f(t) is not a good model for T, Sketch the graph of a more suitable PDF for T"
Given that I have the mode, mean and variance of f(t), how do I go about doing this? I can draw f(t) fine but 'a more suitable PDF' I have no clue.
Original post by Darkarium

You can also use the {0, otherwise. instead of x &gt; a etc, I've seen that on the mark scheme.

Im stuck on Jan 09 paper with this question:
'It is suggested the PDF f(t) is not a good model for T, Sketch the graph of a more suitable PDF for T&quot;
Given that I have the mode, mean and variance of f(t), how do I go about doing this? I can draw f(t) fine but 'a more suitable PDF' I have no clue.

Is this the one with telephone calls?
Reply 29
Original post by areebmazhar
Is this the one with telephone calls?

Yeah, it's question 4e on January 09.

Dug this old thread up http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1857041
I still don't really get it. I mean, if they are looking for a graph that's non-negative and has a peak, then what is wrong with the current model? If you roughly sketch f(t) as is then it is both non-negative and has 1 peak.

Edit: Ahhh, I finally get it. Because the model assumes calls over 10 minutes have 0 probability of occuring (which seems unlikely given the mode is 10), they are expecting you to draw a graph with a peak followed by a long tail that gradually reaches 0 to account for longer calls.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
i hope this paper is easy.. the last one was a bit tricky.

I still don't really get it. I mean, if they are looking for a graph that's non-negative and has a peak, then what is wrong with the current model? If you roughly sketch f(t) as is then it is both non-negative and has 1 peak.

Edit: Ahhh, I finally get it. Because the model assumes calls over 10 minutes have 0 probability of occuring (which seems unlikely given the mode is 10), they are expecting you to draw a graph with a peak followed by a long tail that gradually reaches 0 to account for longer calls.

Yeah, you've got it. In real life, you'd never get calls always lasting between 0 and 10 mins
Original post by Gibbo81
X

Gibbo could you please clarify these comments on an S2 MS? When converting from a PDF that has two functions to a CDF, the MS says:

Spoiler

What do they 'condone' exactly... I thought the signs in the CDF interval didn't matter. Also, what doesn't 'need to match up'?
Ive gota learn all these definitions, apart from that, the module isn't difficult at all.
Original post by dsinghdahiya257

Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Ive gota learn all these definitions, apart from that, the module isn't difficult at all.

Exact same as me. It's just so boring!
Reply 35
I hate this module.
Reply 36
Original post by confused dot com
Exact same as me. It's just so boring!

I quite like S2, very short module... hope the boundaries are not awful like in Jan 2011 though, 69/75 for an A, 72/75 for an A*... ugh.
Original post by Zhy
I quite like S2, very short module... hope the boundaries are not awful like in Jan 2011 though, 69/75 for an A, 72/75 for an A*... ugh.

Those boundaries are identical to C4's in Jan '11.. quite terrifying :s-smilie:

Original post by Zhy

I saw the grade boundaries and went from :lolwut: to :angry: to :cry2: in about 10 seconds! Why were they so high?!
Original post by confused dot com
I saw the grade boundaries and went from :lolwut: to :angry: to :cry2: in about 10 seconds! Why were they so high?!

Very easy paper, combined with the fact that there's less weaker candidates in Jan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending