1. number of trials is 'large'
2. probability of success is 'small'
3. Mean is approximately equal to variance

Conditions to approximate the binomial with the normal
1. number of trials is 'large'
2. Probability of success is 'close' to 0.5

Conditions to approximate the Poisson with the normal
lambda is 'large'

A population is a collection of all individual people or items in a particular group (this could be infinite)

A census is a survey of all the mambers of a population

A sample survey is a survey of a part of the population. In this case the surveyed members are called sampling units and a numbered or named list of the members of the population is the sampling frame.

A characteristic of the population measured from a census is a population parameter normally these cannot be measured as the population is too large in this case we estimate them using a sample. A measurement from a sample that contains no unknown parameters is a statistic. The sampling distribution of a statistic is all the possible values of the statistic along with their probabilities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
They can be pretty liberal in their approach to what is large, small and close to 0.5.
Reply 82
Original post by r_t
If ever there is/was/will be an exam I am/will be/have been ready for, it's this S2 paper :smile:

:lol:
Reply 83
guys, i know when to use continuity corrections, but how do you decide whether to +0.5 or -0.5?
In a test studying reaction times, white dots appear at random on a black rectangular screen.
The continuous random variable X represents the distance, in centimetres, of the dot from the
left-hand edge of the screen. The distribution of X is rectangular over the interval [0, 20].
(a) Find P(2 < X < 3.6). (2 marks)
(b) Find the mean and variance of X. (3 marks)
The continuous random variable Y represents the distance, in centimetres, of the dot from the
bottom edge of the screen. The distribution of Y is rectangular over the interval [0, 16].
Find the probability that a dot appears
(c) in a square of side 4 cm at the centre of the screen, (4 marks)
(d) within 2 cm of the edge of the screen. (4)

Can someone please help me with c and d..? thank you
Original post by hankypanky3

In a test studying reaction times, white dots appear at random on a black rectangular screen.
The continuous random variable X represents the distance, in centimetres, of the dot from the
left-hand edge of the screen. The distribution of X is rectangular over the interval [0, 20].
(a) Find P(2 &lt; X &lt; 3.6). (2 marks)
(b) Find the mean and variance of X. (3 marks)
The continuous random variable Y represents the distance, in centimetres, of the dot from the
bottom edge of the screen. The distribution of Y is rectangular over the interval [0, 16].
Find the probability that a dot appears
(c) in a square of side 4 cm at the centre of the screen, (4 marks)
(d) within 2 cm of the edge of the screen. (4)

Can someone please help me with c and d..? thank you

What were the answers? I think I got c, but d has baffled me. Was this on a past paper?
Original post by confused dot com
What were the answers? I think I got c, but d has baffled me. Was this on a past paper?

Its solomon paper B question 3. I dont get c nor d..help please!

Here are the solutions. They explain it better than I would :smile:
Reply 88

It's quite straightforward if you just think about it logically. The best thing to do is to draw a big diagram of the rectangle, so you can actually see what's going on. Try that, and if you need further help, quote me.
Reply 89
Resitting this, after getting a c in June.

I'm fine with all the content now, I fear silly mistakes will cost me the 90+ UMS I'm aiming for. I just did the Jan11 paper, got 69/75, thought that was great, and turned out to be 80 UMS - bit worried by that.. :s-smilie:

The papers don't take me too long now though, about an hour, so just a case of going through the questions a bit slower and I'll be fine I hope.. :biggrin:
Original post by safmaster
It's quite straightforward if you just think about it logically. The best thing to do is to draw a big diagram of the rectangle, so you can actually see what's going on. Try that, and if you need further help, quote me.

No luck :frown: so i drew two different rectangles..one of 20 cm and the other being 16. But, why did they times it? :s-smilie:
No luck :frown: so i drew two different rectangles..one of 20 cm and the other being 16. But, why did they times it? :s-smilie:

Since it's a square, one side has to be 4cm AND the other has to be 4cm, therefore you have to multiply the two values together
How are these two linked?? Gosh, its killing me already.Just when I thought I was ready for Tuesday :/
Original post by confused dot com
Since it's a square, one side has to be 4cm AND the other has to be 4cm, therefore you have to multiply the two values together

How are these two linked?? Gosh, its killing me already.Just when I thought I was ready for Tuesday :/
Reply 94

It's only one rectangle with width 20cm and height 16cm. Read the question again: especially the part regarding the two distributions X and Y. You should be able to do it from here.
So hello S2vians. I'm a retaker and gosh, how could it be possible that anyone who need to retake this exam? I had a bad day where I wasn't in the mood for S2. It's been pretty easy to get back into S2 even with very little revision.

Anyway, good luck to you all. :smile:
Original post by YingYang

Original post by YingYang
guys, i know when to use continuity corrections, but how do you decide whether to +0.5 or -0.5?

X~Bin(n, p) approximated as Y~N(np, np(1-p))
Then, P(X < x) = P(Y <= x-0.5) and P(X <= x) = P(Y <= x+0.5).

We learnt it as with less than or equal to you are including "x" (for example) so you should have 0.5 in the opposite direction to the sign (i.e. >= -0.5, <= +0.5). Therefore the opposite is true for less than and more than.
Original post by safmaster
It's only one rectangle with width 20cm and height 16cm. Read the question again: especially the part regarding the two distributions X and Y. You should be able to do it from here.

still dont get it !
Reply 98
If anyones done the last question in the May/June 11 Paper the one where it talks about finding the value of K when P(μ - < X < μ + kσ) = 0.5

can someone explain to me what its trying to ask in thie question?
Reply 99
still dont get it !

To be honest it's quite hard to explain qualitatively; but I'll try to do so.

Basically, for part (c), the first thing to do is to draw a 4x4 square at the center of your previously drawn rectangle. You are trying to calculate the probability the dot appears inside this square, so, in terms of width (X), that is 4/20, and in terms of height (Y), that is 4/16. So probability is 4/20 x 4/16 = 1/20.

For part (d), now draw inside your rectangle another rectangle measuring 16 (width) by 12 (height). This is because you want the dot now to be within 2cm of the edge, which is the area between both rectangles. The probability the dot will appear in this area is most easily calculated by doing 1 - P(dot does not appear) = 1 - (16/20 x 12/16) = 1 - 3/5 = 2/5.

Hope that helps. Have a look at the mark scheme for a better understanding.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending