The Student Room Group

Loan question

I'm hoping to get in to do a pharmacy degree. I already have a BSc from an American university. In addition I have studied but not completed a degree here in the UK. (I was forced to withdraw when I was put on bedrest while pregnant with my first child and never had the opportunity to go back.)

Does anyone know if I would still be eligible for a loan to cover tuition fees? I think I might be since this degree would give me a masters level qualification by the end, but I'm not sure. I don't know if we can find the funding for me to do it if I have to pay the tuition fees up front, given the cost of childcare and commuting we'll have to come up with as well.
Reply 1
A masters in pharmacy may mean ELQ won't apply to you - however, with all your previous study you will not get tuition fee funding.

ANY previous study is counted, for whole or part years, regardless where it was in the world, and the following formula would apply:

New course length + 1 year - previous study
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
A masters in pharmacy may mean ELQ won't apply to you - however, with all your previous study you will not get tuition fee funding.

ANY previous study is counted, for whole or part years, regardless where it was in the world, and the following formula would apply:

New course length + 1 year - previous study

Assuming the degree from American wasn't funded by SFE, how are they going to know about this previous study and qualification from another country unless the OP tells them?

It is as you say course length +1. So basically everyone gets one go to mess things up or have a change of heart. OP may be able to get some kind of funding, assuming they only did a short time at Uni in the UK before withdrawing?
Reply 3
I phoned and yep, no loan.

I think it's ridiculous. Any study anywhere counts, even if the degree is not recognised in the uk. Mine is, but I worked my butt off earning a scholarship and paying for that one so it does seem unfair to count it.

Now we have to work out if we can possibly afford to pay for it with other loans or something. At least now I know where I'm applying for sure. Herts is my only option if I have to pay tuition, child are and commute costs. Commuting to London would add too much to consider.
Reply 4
ELQ is one of the worst changes to the UK higher education system. It completely discriminates against career changers. On one hand we are told to work longer, which makes it more likely that the skills learnt at 18-22 will be relevant 20+ years later, hence the need to re-train and change careers.

It wouldn't be so bad if employers funded further training, but in the current climate it is an area subject to cuts. Banks don't offer loans structured for second degree undergraduates. CDL for masters have not kept pace with the increase in fees.

Good Luck with your study quest.
Reply 5
Original post by BigV
Assuming the degree from American wasn't funded by SFE, how are they going to know about this previous study and qualification from another country unless the OP tells them?

It is as you say course length +1. So basically everyone gets one go to mess things up or have a change of heart. OP may be able to get some kind of funding, assuming they only did a short time at Uni in the UK before withdrawing?

That is assuming they don't find out.

But what would happen if you assumed they wouldn't, then at the end of a 3 year funded course they *DID* find out and all loans/grants/any money at all became immediately repayable. (If you read the Ts & Cs carefully it's all there and they can and do do that.)

I personally wouldn't want to risk it.
Reply 6
I would imagine the OP would want to use the BSc to boost her application anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Shani
That is assuming they don't find out.

But what would happen if you assumed they wouldn't, then at the end of a 3 year funded course they *DID* find out and all loans/grants/any money at all became immediately repayable. (If you read the Ts & Cs carefully it's all there and they can and do do that.)

I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

I wasn't suggesting anyone be dishonest, simply asking the question... how would they find out about previous study abroad, who is going to tell them? - I suppose the UK university might but I can't see that being particularly likely, and if someone gained entry to Uni without mentioning the previous study to the new university they wouldn't even know.

Also, assuming someone was daft/unlucky enough to get into the situation you describe..... well they can't get blood out of a stone can they? The money may be 'immediately repayable', but if you haven't got it they would surely have to settle for an installment plan??... which is what the standard loan offers anyway.

I would not recommend anyone tell porkies to get funding, but I can understand why some people would risk it.... because the risk doesn't appear huge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BigV
I wasn't suggesting anyone be dishonest, simply asking the question... how would they find out about previous study abroad, who is going to tell them? - I suppose the UK university might but I can't see that being particularly likely, and if someone gained entry to Uni without mentioning the previous study to the new university they wouldn't even know.

Also, assuming someone was daft/unlucky enough to get into the situation you describe..... well they can't get blood out of a stone can they? The money may be 'immediately repayable', but if you haven't got it they would surely have to settle for an installment plan??... which is what the standard loan offers anyway.

I would not recommend anyone tell porkies to get funding, but I can understand why some people would risk it.... because the risk doesn't appear huge.

Indeed, I don't know how they would find out or what measures are in place for this type of thing.

I believe the "immediately repayable" thing means they can take you to court (and you could face a criminal charge of fraud) and send debt collectors after you if you don't pay up - and the payment plans are nowhere near as "generous" as the "% of salary above £15/£25k" that is usual practise. It would become "real" debt at the point they found out someone had abused the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending