The Student Room Group

Will my A-Levels help me get where I want to be?

Hi,

I'm in year 11, and and coming up to choose my as-level choices. I'm not sure what exactly I want to be, but I am quite academic and arty aswell, I was thinking maybe something in engineering? Mainly I want to be in a secure financial position after leaving university (e.g. have a solid job and earn a substantial wage before too long).

So far, I think I may take these:

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Photography

Any advice from someone who has been through this, or just direct me into a proffesion?

Thanks alot

p.s. Its my first post on TSR so dont be too harsh if I've posted this into the wrong section or something haha
Your first three are excellent, fine for engineering.

But Photography not so much, if you want to do a creative A level have you considered doing Fine Art? Much more respected, and would also mean that you could do Architecture at Uni, an excellent degree to have with a decent career path.

Either that or I'd say keep the creativeness to a hobby, get a decent camera and take pictures in your sparetime, maybe get a blog or tumblr to show them off.
Reply 2
those are suitable for engineering, what other careers have you looked into?
Reply 3
Do whichever A Levels will make you happiest.
Reply 4
A lot of photography A Level courses leave a lot to be desired and are often not actually necessary in learning about photography. Take the advice of the person above; do something like fine art and learn Photography in your spare time. With the help of a friend at the same level as me, I taught myself photography.
Reply 5
@Historophilia Thanks for the advice, the last one (photography) was really the one that I wasn't so sure on, I dont have a great work ethic so I didn't want to do another intensive a-level, but I wasnt sure photography was right for me, heres the sixth form I'm going to:
http://www.fortismeresixthform.com/departments/
They don't do fine art, but could you suggest anything else that might be right for me? I do geography GCSE so maybe that, hmmm, thanks for the advice <3

@lucas13 I do video editing, including 3d motion animation on proffessional programs, and I was considering going into visual effects or somthing, but its so hard to do well in it and I'd probably end up freelancing for years after university which isnt what i want to do. other than that i havent looked into much

@najinaji I'm more interested in long term happiness than just having a good time in 6th form, so as long as I'm not depressed then I dont mind having a lot of strain and being a but annoyed haha

@Sabriella sounds good :smile:

So now im fairly sure im not going to do photography, have a look at the link (above) for my sixth form, and suggest something better? thanks alot, im impressed with how many replies I got in a short time. peace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending