The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Pomponz
No, you are right.

Thanks! :smile:

It's just that I remembered looking at a mark scheme yesterday (think it was June 09) and there was a question worth 1 mark asking for the minimum point. On the mark scheme it said something like do not accept coordinates only allow the y value. If I hadn't read that, I would have stated the coordinates in today's question :colondollar:
Reply 181
Original post by KING2011BOB
I put the vertex= (x,-16)(can't remember waht x is) so therefore y=-16 do u think I will get the mark for this?

Look at this mark scheme http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MPC1-W-MS-JUN09.PDF and go down to question 6aii... it says 'not coordinates' :/ only y value :s-smilie:
Reply 182
Also for the very last question I used the quadratic formula. I got -6/8 and 8/6... I forgot to simplify that into -3/4 and 4/3 >:frown: Do you think they'll drop a mark here? :/
Original post by oilsma
Also for the very last question I used the quadratic formula. I got -6/8 and 8/6... I forgot to simplify that into -3/4 and 4/3 >:frown: Do you think they'll drop a mark here? :/

They normally want it in it's simplest form so I reckon they might drop 1 ... Tbh it depends on the examiner
Reply 184
Well I tried to factorise it out by polynomial division and got in a general twist,thinking I was being clever I just made up some values of d and c and put them into the equation,used polynomial division thinking I could get 1 mark :frown:

Seems so obvious now that I look at it,but to understand the second part the "easy gcse" you had to do the first part of putting p(3) into the equation

Kicking myself for it-dropped 6 on that

Still think I only dropped 15-18,but u know that ain't an A which is what i've been looking for and what i've got consistently on past papers :\ but hey life can only get better!

yeah don't worry about it is only the first paper. I mean i did **** in AQA chemistry anyway. Hmm i think i start to hate AQA !
Original post by DPowell
See on today's paper I thought the Polynomials question wasn't too bad, it took me a bit of thinking though. I was disheartended that there were no questions such as re-writing the polynomial in the form (x+a)(x2+bx+c) (x+a)(x^2+bx+c). I'm very good at doing the division. :smile: They are also very standard questions that usually come up...

As per usual, the integration question was absolutely horrible and came out with nasty fractions for me, I gave up on it sadly.

One thing I was also disappointed about was how most of the questions were more 'puzzles' that required a lot of unusual thinking rather than straight forward knowing and applying a rule. Especially the inequalities ones!

- Dan

The nasty fractions on the upper bound subbing in actually cancelled the lower bound so it fell into place quite nicely I thought
Original post by Lily Academia

Spoiler

Well, in fact I think it went a lot worse now.. :sadnod:
But I'm sure you've done a lot, lot better than me and then you think you have.. Same for the surds, the third question somehow threw me off. :/ How did you get that for k? I had NO idea how to do it, and kept trying to factorise it! :facepalm:
And it was only TWO marks as well.. Also took me longer to do than any other ones I did before, I was still writing a minute after they said 'Stop writing now' :cry2:
:hugs: :penguinhug: :jumphug:
Reply 187
Original post by ryanboi
well first question was to sub it f(-2) because it is aid (x+2) will give a remainder of -150

f(x)=x3+cx2+dx-12=-150

so first question answer is 2c - d + 65 = 0

Second was (x-3) is a factor

f(3)=27+9c+3d-12=0

so it would be 3c+d+5=0

thats the question before the c and d question

Omg, I'm ****ing retarded piece of ****, kill me.... ****ing faggot. (me). I'm sorry I just had to reveal my stress. What I did was I got 9c + 3d +15 = 0 and I haven't simplified I left it like that. ****ing faggot
And then I used 2c - d + 65 and 9c +3d + 15
Multiplied the first one by 3 to get 6c -3d = - 195 and added this to 9c +3d = -15
to get 15c = -210 to get c = ...? What? The ****? c = - 14?? wtf? and then I substituted it into 2c - d = - 65 to get 2*-14 - d = -65 => -28 -d = -65 => -d = - 37 and d = 37... THE HELL?? OMG OMG? SO I GOT IT RIGHT? WTF xD I I actually remembered that I got -28 and I was a bit confused for a second, as I had to move it to other side and I was tired in the morning so I was thinking what was it... OMG SO I ACTUALLY GOT THE RIGHT ANSWER AND AFTER THE EXAM I FORGOT IT? :biggrin: LOL xD After the exam I forgot the right answer and was thinking it was 14 and 93? lool. xDDDDDDDDD I hope I actually got -14 and 37, but as far as I see I did, because I remembered all the time that second equation had + 15 so **** yeah it all makes sense now and I remembered all the steps.

I'm sorry everyone for LQ post with too much swearing and bad grammar but I just went mad for thinking I got the question wrong, but after checking up I found out that I'm 90% right but it's just my memory is crap as I forgot what answers I got. But then why did I think about 14 and 93 which I thought I wrote down, also they fit into the first equation?? omg... 65+28 = 93... So there's a lot in common, flipping heck I started to panic again.. Now I don't know what I wrote down for c and d :frown: why??? :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX

Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Well, in fact I think it went a lot worse now.. :sadnod:
But I'm sure you've done a lot, lot better than me and then you think you have.. Same for the surds, the third question somehow threw me off. :/ How did you get that for k? I had NO idea how to do it, and kept trying to factorise it! :facepalm:
And it was only TWO marks as well.. Also took me longer to do than any other ones I did before, I was still writing a minute after they said 'Stop writing now' :cry2:
:hugs: :penguinhug: :jumphug:

Same - oh God. I felt so panicked after an hour had passed (since previously I've finished by then) when she said 5 minutes remaining I felt so scared to check everything; there's nothing worse than noticing you've done an entire question wrong in the last few minutes.

Spoiler

:jumphug: But you are wonderful, you know that right? I miss our talks.
Reply 189
I put the vertex= (x,-16)(can't remember waht x is) so therefore y=-16 do u think I will get the mark for this?

Hmmmmm I would say so but yet they asked for the minimum value and not the vertex. I think it will depend on the person that marks the paper and marks scheme. :s-smilie: But I am not sure 100%, sorry.
Reply 190
Original post by Miyata
Omg, I'm ****ing retarded piece of ****, kill me.... ****ing faggot. (me). I'm sorry I just had to reveal my stress. What I did was I got 9c + 3d +15 = 0 and I haven't simplified I left it like that. ****ing faggot
And then I used 2c - d + 65 and 9c +3d + 15
Multiplied the first one by 3 to get 6c -3d = - 195 and added this to 9c +3d = -15
to get 15c = -210 to get c = ...? What? The ****? c = - 14?? wtf? and then I substituted it into 2c - d = - 65 to get 2*-14 - d = -65 => -28 -d = -65 => -d = - 37 and d = 37... THE HELL?? OMG OMG? SO I GOT IT RIGHT? WTF xD I I actually remembered that I got -28 and I was a bit confused for a second, as I had to move it to other side and I was tired in the morning so I was thinking what was it... OMG SO I ACTUALLY GOT THE RIGHT ANSWER AND AFTER THE EXAM I FORGOT IT? :biggrin: LOL xD After the exam I forgot the right answer and was thinking it was 14 and 93? lool. xDDDDDDDDD I hope I actually got -14 and 37, but as far as I see I did, because I remembered all the time that second equation had + 15 so **** yeah it all makes sense now and I remembered all the steps.

I'm sorry everyone for LQ post with too much swearing and bad grammar but I just went mad for thinking I got the question wrong, but after checking up I found out that I'm 90% right but it's just my memory is crap as I forgot what answers I got. But then why did I think about 14 and 93 which I thought I wrote down, also they fit into the first equation?? omg... 65+28 = 93... So there's a lot in common, flipping heck I started to panic again.. Now I don't know what I wrote down for c and d :frown: why??? :frown:

lol well you explanation to the question tells me that you got the right answer -14 and 37 but the question is which one did you write it down?? -14 and 37 or -14 and 93?? lol i mean if you got -14 and 93 you will only lose max of 3 marks, maybe even less because you will be awarded marks for doing workout. So not totally bad :smile:
Original post by Miyata

omg... 65+28 = 93... So there's a lot in common, flipping heck I started to panic again.. Now I don't know what I wrote down for c and d :frown: why??? :frown:

Because after exams your mind is just a mushy panic blur.

Well. Mine is.
Reply 192
Same - oh God. I felt so panicked after an hour had passed (since previously I've finished by then) when she said 5 minutes remaining I felt so scared to check everything; there's nothing worse than noticing you've done an entire question wrong in the last few minutes.

Spoiler

I hate it when they do that ! WHen you are focusing up on a question and suddenly they shout out 10 minutes remaining for subject x and 15 minutes remaining for subject y. Then, you have to rethink what you trying to do -.-

Spoiler

Yeah, I felt it wasn't too bad after the exam, then started talking to everyone else about it, and came onto this thread and now I just feel so awful!

Spoiler

:colondollar::colondollar: Thank you! I know, me too! You need to come to this year's meet though! :biggrin: That would be so lovely! :smile:
Reply 194
I think what is important to learn from this is that those who have never taken an A level exam before now know just how difficult getting an A is. At GCSE, an A is like 60%(?).

At A level, only the best of the best get an A.

At A2, only the wonderfully gifted get an A*. This is the real world, and this is where it gets difficult.

Not to worry too much, if you really did badly, you can request your paper back, and see what messed you up - you can also resit the exam. :smile:

- Dan
Reply 195
Hey I've read a lot of the post that have been posted recently and everyone seems to think that they have done terribly!! Am I the only who thinks it was easy? When I finished, I had 20mins left to check the paper!! Also, I was the only who had actually taken the Core 1 exam this January since I'm in year 12 (AS Level) and my school usually enters us in June.
The questions that I felt put off by was the first question because of the fact that the gradient seemed wrong but after checking 3 or 4 times I realised that I was correct. Also, the width question where everyone seems to get 0<x<8 (wrong answer I believe) confused me but I went over it at the end with confidence. The rest of the paper was quite easy in my perception, considering the fact that I have done 5 past papers averaging 93%.
There was a question on rectange where length was (x+4) and width was (x), asked to find area to get a quadratic inequality. Then it asked to write down the values x could be. I just wrote down all the positive values, is this correct? Or were they expecting an inequality?
Reply 197
Original post by Arnold.L
Hey I've read a lot of the post that have been posted recently and everyone seems to think that they have done terribly!! Am I the only who thinks it was easy? When I finished, I had 20mins left to check the paper!! Also, I was the only who had actually taken the Core 1 exam this January since I'm in year 12 (AS Level) and my school usually enters us in June.
The questions that I felt put off by was the first question because of the fact that the gradient seemed wrong but after checking 3 or 4 times I realised that I was correct. Also, the width question where everyone seems to get 0<x<8 (wrong answer I believe) confused me but I went over it at the end with confidence. The rest of the paper was quite easy in my perception, considering the fact that I have done 5 past papers averaging 93%.

so you got reckon you got 100%?? :smile: what did you put for width of garden?
Reply 198
Original post by Danatlive

Original post by Danatlive
There was a question on rectange where length was (x+4) and width was (x), asked to find area to get a quadratic inequality. Then it asked to write down the values x could be. I just wrote down all the positive values, is this correct? Or were they expecting an inequality?

I believe that you had to use 2x<11 and use that inequality simultaneously with -12<x<8 which should actually give an answer of 5.5<x<8.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by ryanboi
so you got reckon you got 100%?? what did you put for width of garden?

5.5<x<8 what about you? I put this due to the fact that 2x<11 had to be considered
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending