The Student Room Group

Student bank account

When do I need to set one up and who is best?
Original post by Jack22031994
When do I need to set one up and who is best?

I think you do it after results day once your offer becomes unconditional. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

And here is a page about choosing an account: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_Bank_Accounts
Original post by fudgesundae
I think you do it after results day once your offer becomes unconditional. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

And here is a page about choosing an account: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_Bank_Accounts

Yeah ok, but don't you have to enter bank details for student fin ace which closes before results day???
Reply 3
I work for natwest.

We offer a student acc. I reccomend that you use an ordinary current acc for SF details and then just update SF details once you have a student acc.

For us to open a student acc we need to see proof that you are going to uni, so usually the ucas confirmation letter along with id and proof of address.

Hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sol1dShot
I work for natwest.

We offer a student acc. I reccomend that you use an ordinary current acc for SF details and then just update SF details once you have a student acc.

For us to open a student acc we need to see proof that you are going to uni, so usually the ucas confirmation letter along with id and proof of id.

Hope this helps.

What about a card cash card (visa) account or a cash is as I have hem and not a current account
???
Reply 5
What about a card cash card (visa) account or a cash is as I have hem and not a current account
???

As long as you have some form of acc thats fine for SF. Current acc is just what we call our standard "normal" acc.
Reply 6
You need a current account for your SF but you can always change the details online if you change your account at any stage. Some banks will not give you a student account until your offer becomes unconditional. Natwest changed my account to a student one before this. However, I did change my account details before my first payment was made. No problems, easily done.
Original post by glf2110
You need a current account for your SF but you can always change the details online if you change your account at any stage. Some banks will not give you a student account until your offer becomes unconditional. Natwest changed my account to a student one before this. However, I did change my account details before my first payment was made. No problems, easily done.

So I can't use my ISA or Halifax card cash account?
Reply 8

Nope. You need a "proper" bank account. :frown:
Reply 9

No. If you want a natwest student account, just go open a current account for the time being and then upgrade it once you have the offers.

If you transfer the isa to us you may get a better rate too :smile:

Pop down to your nearest natwest and ask to see a Customer Advisor.
Original post by Sol1dShot
No. If you want a natwest student account, just go open a current account for the time being and then upgrade it once you have the offers.

If you transfer the isa to us you may get a better rate too :smile:

Pop down to your nearest natwest and ask to see a Customer Advisor.

Ok thanks
Reply 11
Have a look at Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert advice on Student Bank accounts. You just need any standard account now and then change it to the best Student Account for you once your offer has gone to Unconditional.
You may find that the biggest overdraft is important, check out all the small print. Many banks don't offer the freebies that they used to. Just remember that once you're in your overdraft then you have less money to spend once the next loan drops in.
I have 2 accounts, one that I get all my money get paid into and another that I drip some money across each Monday to live off. I meet the conditions of both bank accounts. Also that way I have a weekly allowance and I don't spend what I don't have at the weekend. :smile:
Suggest add all your funding up + parental contribution + any earnings. Subtract your accommodation and other essential spending, phone etc, then divide the remainder by 52 (weeks). This is what you can transfer to your everyday account each week. Hope this is helpful.
Reply 12
Ok thanks

If you havent banked with us before, please take a passport/Drivers license and proof of address - bills are best.

We might also need to see three months of statements depending on what you would like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending