The Student Room Group

Have you ever felt incapable of comprehending content in A-Levels?

Poll

As the title says

On a conceptual level?

I'm pretty sure if I carried on physics I'd have felt like this. A couple of times in maths I've not been able to keep up with the pace of the class and had to go over the content in my own time. But I don't know, in retrospect there doesn't seem to be anything where no matter how hard I've tried to understand I couldn't in a-levels.

Not going to lie though, there's a couple of topics in biology where I've just found them so tedious and boring I haven't bothered to completely wrap my head around(i.e absorption of nutrients etc. in intestine and cholera oral rehydration therapy in unit 1).

I'm interested if anyone has, specifically at A2(I'm only doing AS). Also do you think this is more likely to occur at degree level etc.?

Oh, and whenever my teacher tries to prove concepts in a-level maths I don't always follow. Sometimes I do but sometimes I end up switching off due to feeling over-loaded etc.

EMZ=]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
chemistry :colonhash:
Original post by jokosor
chemistry :colonhash:

I never really understood chemistry, still got a B though.

EDIT: Why the negs?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I honestly don't think it's possible.

If you've studied it well from the foundations up, what is there to limit your understanding?

If you're struggling with AS, that's fine it's a large step from GCSE to A-Level. I've heard many graduates say it's larger than A-Level to Bachelors.
But I do recommend you get those concepts down and figure out all the fundamentals behind it. Once you're in A2, AS seems like a breeze as long as you've got those basics.
Bloody c4 integration asfdhjkl but that's probably part due to me missing quite a few lessons ^_^ but no
Reply 6
Original post by Lukeeee

If you've studied it well from the foundations up, what is there to limit your understanding?

If you're struggling with AS, that's fine it's a large step from GCSE to A-Level. I've heard many graduates say it's larger than A-Level to Bachelors.
But I do recommend you get those concepts down and figure out all the fundamentals behind it. Once you're in A2, AS seems like a breeze as long as you've got those basics.

If you'd read my initial post I didn't really say that I didn't comprehend any content.

Though when I first started AS maths the first couple of weeks I genuinely felt that I wasn't intellectually adept enough for the course and was very close to dropping it. I know it's possible to feel incapable of comprehending course content. Though the maths became *a lot* easier after I stopped thinking I was incapable and when I started to go over concepts outside of lesson etc. Generally I feel like the pace of the class is fine and rarely do I find my self in a position where I'm completely clueless in relation to the rest of the class(though for the first couple of weeks every lesson I felt like that).

EMZ=]
Reply 7
Original post by NuclearFusion
I never really understood chemistry, still got a B though.

My B grade came at a heavy cost.
I had to stop revision for my last exams in Human Bio and Maths, getting a D in both of the last exams and throwing away 2A*s for 2As just so I could concentrate in chem...what I hoped though was that at least I could seure an A in chem thanks to the more time I had to revise it. When I then saw that "B" at results day I almost fainted... SCREW CHEMISTRY! Should have dropped it at AS!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
As soon as i read your fantastic english in your post, yes. I feel some what inferior.
Reply 9
Original post by Hogwartz
As soon as i read your fantastic english in your post, yes. I feel some what inferior.

Are you being sarcastic or something lol? I have pragmatic language impairment, I'm not trying to be pretentious or idk, whatever you think.

EMZ.
Nope. I'm doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry (and AS Further Maths) atm, although it is partly just down to having awesome teachers really :biggrin:

And it will definitely happen at degree level, even for those in your year who everyone thinks is a genius.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Emor
Are you being sarcastic or something lol? I have pragmatic language impairment, I'm not trying to be pretentious or idk, whatever you think.

EMZ.

No lol, for the first time i'm actually not being sarcastic. Your english contains many complex terminology's, which is not used in an everyday conversation.
Whats 'pragmatic language impairment'? and what do you mean by 'pretentious'.
Too much complex terms :afraid:
Original post by Lukeeee

Seriously? That's disappointing to read. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who does the same subjects as me but I honestly haven't found anything incomprehensible in my A-Levels, and I want a challenge at university.
Reply 13
No lol, for the first time i'm actually not being sarcastic. Your english contains many complex terminology's, which is not used in an everyday conversation.
Whats 'pragmatic language impairment'? and what do you mean by 'pretentious'.
Too much complex terms :afraid:

It's characterized by obscure language mannerisms(i.e odd vocabulary, strange phrases, etc.) and in general difficulties in communication that aren't so apparent online.

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

^definition for pretentious.

Idk lol.

EMZ.
Not in those that I took, obviously.
We just started binomial expansion in C2 (Don't know why we started on the 5th chapter) and yeah sometimes I have to review it at home to fully understand the content.
Reply 16
Original post by Emor
It's characterized by obscure language mannerisms(i.e odd vocabulary, strange phrases, etc.) and in general difficulties in communication that aren't so apparent online.

^definition for pretentious.

Idk lol.

EMZ.

:confused:
Reply 17
In FP4 i find it difficult to conceptulise things like two planes intercepting etc. which is probably why i suck at it
Reply 18
:confused:

I'm likely to speak/write weird without noticing. Basically.
Reply 19
Original post by Emor
I'm likely to speak/write weird without noticing. Basically.

Ohh, now i understand :biggrin:
Thats cool, i do that sometimes, i start speaking poetically. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest