The Student Room Group

A Level choices?! HELP

I have about a month to get my application in but I want to do it ASAP. I need help in deciding which subjects would be best for me and any opinions would be much appreciated.

I have decided already that I want to do History and Politics. History is my favourite subject and Politics seemed very interesting and I felt they both complimented each other.

The choices of subjects that I am left with are either Biology/Chemistry or Geography/Sociology. The two sciences I feel will compliment each other and also leave my options open to a career path that may involve science qualifications (I have no idea what career path I wish to follow by the way). Where as the Geog/Socio seem enjoyable but I feel it would limit me in where I could go in life, but as I said I have no idea what I want to do. Any suggestions on what choices to make may help add some more perspective.
Sociology is often considered a 'soft' subject by admissions tutors, but having said that, I've applied to study it next year because I knew that I would enjoy it :biggrin:

I think it all depends on what you think you will enjoy - if you are enthusiastic about a subject then you will be more motivated to work at it and therefore get better grades. Are you enthusiastic about Bio & Chem or are you just choosing them to keep your options open? Geography and Sociology would compliment your two other subjects better, leaving you open to study a wide range or Arts or Social Science courses at uni, but like you said, the sciences would keep your options open to the more science-ey side of things too.

Another thing to consider.. I know some people who take a mixture of Arts and Sciences at A-level and many of them say that its nice to have a break from writing essays and do some science, or its nice having a break from experiments and doing something more creative.

Which combination would you enjoy the most and what's the likelihood of you wanting to study Science at a further level (i.e university) ? do you have any ideas at all of any uni courses or careers you would be interested in?

Sorry if this hasn't been very helpful but hopefully it has given you some things to think about, if you have any more questions - just quote me :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest