The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by intellectual1
Why was that so? :eek: It was a nicer paper than June 2011 though, but that moments question was quite frustrating and the one at the end...

i just find mechanics hard, and that paper didnt have some of the nicest questions in there compared to ones i'd paracticed. i completely missed out 3, and i have to work through these questions slowly because i have the tendency to miss out forces or gravity in a question which ****s the whole thing up. Not looking forward to C3 tomorrow morning either...

Didnt get to check my working for silly mistakes so im thinking i messed up big time...
You guys seriously think that was an easy paper? I did every single one of the past papers prior to the exam and they took me 30-50 minutes each.. got 70+ marks on each one too... Anyway yeah, I only just finished this paper in the full 90 minutes; I didn't have time to check most of my answers. That's not an easy paper to me... The fact that the moments question was entirely algebraic threw me at first, there hasn't before been an acceleration-time graph (iirc) and never before has there been an object moving at constant velocity up/down a rough plane... I'm sure that messed up the direction of a lot of people's frictional forces.

Tbf though I didn't notice that it was constant velocity and not constant acceleration on question 8 or that the plank was on the point of tilting about a support on question 5 until the last ten minutes.. that screwed me over a bit and could have been why I found it so hard.

Anyway I have a question if anyone can answer it... basically as far as I can see the only mistakes I made were embarrassingly stupid ones. I solved for T incorrectly in question 6 (I did it as 2 triangles and a rectangle, and took the base of the last triangle to be 4T/3 + 6 rather than just the 6) and equated the i vectors rather than the j vectors in question 7 (I'm kicking myself; never made that mistake before!). Oh, and I may have forgotten the y-axis on my acceleration-time graph, not sure though. Does anyone have any idea at all how many marks I will have dropped? I have no idea how generous Edexcel are with errors carried forward...
Original post by Implication
You guys seriously think that was an easy paper? I did every single one of the past papers prior to the exam and they took me 30-50 minutes each.. got 70+ marks on each one too... Anyway yeah, I only just finished this paper in the full 90 minutes; I didn't have time to check most of my answers. That's not an easy paper to me... The fact that the moments question was entirely algebraic threw me at first, there hasn't before been an acceleration-time graph (iirc) and never before has there been an object moving at constant velocity up/down a rough plane... I'm sure that messed up the direction of a lot of people's frictional forces.

Tbf though I didn't notice that it was constant velocity and not constant acceleration on question 8 or that the plank was on the point of tilting about a support on question 5 until the last ten minutes.. that screwed me over a bit and could have been why I found it so hard.

Anyway I have a question if anyone can answer it... basically as far as I can see the only mistakes I made were embarrassingly stupid ones. I solved for T incorrectly in question 6 (I did it as 2 triangles and a rectangle, and took the base of the last triangle to be 4T/3 + 6 rather than just the 6) and equated the i vectors rather than the j vectors in question 7 (I'm kicking myself; never made that mistake before!). Oh, and I may have forgotten the y-axis on my acceleration-time graph, not sure though. Does anyone have any idea at all how many marks I will have dropped? I have no idea how generous Edexcel are with errors carried forward...

Yes questions like that hadn't come up before but if you knew the basics off M1 you would have been able to give it a shot! I managed okay...
And I'd rather be give be give questions I have to think about rather than questions I have seen in every past paper.
Original post by Beresford George
Yes questions like that hadn't come up before but if you knew the basics off M1 you would have been able to give it a shot! I managed okay...
And I'd rather be give be give questions I have to think about rather than questions I have seen in every past paper.

exactly!
Original post by -Illmatic-
exactly!

Cheers :P

I much preferred this paper as every answer wasn't necessarily easy to answer at the first glance!!!

How do you reckon you done?

Ha, I dunno! I like maths so in my own time then yeah; more challenging questions are brilliant... but when my future (and pride) depends upon doing well in this exam, I prefer to have stuff straight from the textbook ;D
Ha, I dunno! I like maths so in my own time then yeah; more challenging questions are brilliant... but when my future (and pride) depends upon doing well in this exam, I prefer to have stuff straight from the textbook ;D

Yeah but then is boring. I know what you mean though. But I would rather do really well in an exam that was challenging than do well in an exam that was straight forward.
for the question 5c i wrote the right answer then i crossed it out but it is still visible and i wrote another answer which is wrong do you think i will get any marks for the first answer even though i crossed it out.

(if so how many)
Reply 388
Original post by samirtaheri
for the question 5c i wrote the right answer then i crossed it out but it is still visible and i wrote another answer which is wrong do you think i will get any marks for the first answer even though i crossed it out.

(if so how many)

I don't think you would get any, because you crossed it out. There is still the method marks.
Original post by POWW!
I don't think you would get any, because you crossed it out. There is still the method marks.

so do you think i will get method marks? how many?
You guys seriously think that was an easy paper? I did every single one of the past papers prior to the exam ... there hasn't before been an acceleration-time graph (iirc)

Incorrect recall. Acceleration-time graph came up last year. Jan '11, Q5.
Original post by snow leopard
Incorrect recall. Acceleration-time graph came up last year. Jan '11, Q5.

If I drew a faint solid line between the acceleration line and the x axis how many marks do you reckon I will loose, assuming that the acceleration time graph was all correct.
If I drew a faint solid line between the acceleration line and the x axis how many marks do you reckon I will loose, assuming that the acceleration time graph was all correct.

Looking at the mark scheme of the Jan 2011 paper, that is what mine looked like, except I drew dotted lines to the y axis where the 2.5 and 0.94 acceleration was. I think there the correct values I cant really remember.
Cheers :P

I much preferred this paper as every answer wasn't necessarily easy to answer at the first glance!!!

How do you reckon you done?

I totally agree with you :tongue: first time I actually didnt finish incredibly early in a maths exam

erm..i think I dropped 15 marks not counting any method marks etc :frown: I guess its a B. What about you? What other modules are you sitting this season?
Original post by -Illmatic-
I totally agree with you :tongue: first time I actually didnt finish incredibly early in a maths exam

erm..i think I dropped 15 marks not counting any method marks etc :frown: I guess its a B. What about you? What other modules are you sitting this season?

I reckon I dropped about 3/4 marks. :smile:

I got the last question right as well :smile:

There was loads of debate at my school about the answer, and I was convinced it was 16.44 after that. But turns out I was right :0

I am also sitting FP1 :smile:

What about you? What other exams have you taken in maths, and what did you get in them?
Reply 398
Original post by George B
You find this easy because you're a teacher, no?
I've been learning M1 since september now (along with C1 and C2). Not everyone has found this very easy. At least I don't think so. Q1, 2 and 3 were very easy. I felt as though the rest were quite tricky. This is coming from someone whose studied M1 for 4 months, so I guess you can't really take my opinion into consideration.

Yes of course but I find every question on every paper easy because I am a highly qualified Mathematician and have been teaching A-Level Maths probably longer than you have been alive.

I am saying this paper was easy in comparison to previous Mechanics examination papers. If you think this paper was hard you should have a go at Jan 09. That will make you cry.
Reply 399
Original post by Mr.cool
I drew my graph with a vertices solid line. I checked the jan 11 examiner report and they said this is penalised.

"Those who had a graph with the correct basic shape were penalised if they included vertical lines on their sketch, although dotted lines were acceptable. "

This is the quote from the jan 11 Q5.

It cost me two marks which i should have goten as i had the correct basic shape.

I thought you meant you hadn't done dotted lines.

Which one are you talking about the speed time one or the acceleration time one?

If you have included vertical solid lines in the speed time graph I am fairly certain you will not lose marks.

The reason you would lose marks for solid vertical lines on an acceleration time graph is that you could be saying acceleration had a range of values at a given time; however, if you extended the vertical lines beyond your horizontal lines you will not lose marks.

Latest

Trending

Trending