The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by amar24
In question 3c....the angle one...p=-12 q=3...then in the diagram why they have used those numbers the opposite way round....and if I used -12 and 3....how many marks would I loose...??

The Force with the p and q components were removed, so they have nothing to do with the question. Adding forces 1 and 2 gave 12i-3j which is what Arsey has drawn.
Reply 61
Original post by Arsey
Very easy I thought

Thanks Arsey. Only 2 things. For the speed time graph, they often give marks for the labels for marking the length per section (in this it would be like <--------T--------> for the middle bit and then <--------6---------> for the last bit). I put this as well as the actual values, the ones on your answers. There won't be a problem with that, right?

Also, for the very last question, I resolved the RF with friction acting up the slope and the component of mg acting down (stupidly...). Obviously I got a different value for a and hence a different distance. If I worked out what I actually did correctly, will I get any method marks, or 0? Just threw me the way they mentioned find where it will come to rest because obviously it would roll down after that, so I made the mistake of thinking they meant it rolling down the slope and friction being greater than a downwards etc... Cheers :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by vishcr7
but they asked for the angle it made with j. 76 is also the angle it makes with j. anyhow, do u think i get any marks for that at all?

I made the same mistake as you. You have to remember that vector are from a particular reference point thus the j axis is is ONLY one place meaning that the angle that the vector makes with a vertical is 76 degrees but the angle it makes with j is 104 degrees (which happens to be the same as giving the bearing of the vector from O)
Reply 63
Original post by smileycat
Hi
everyone at my school found this really hard especially 3 and 4, do you really think the grade boundaries will be that high. i think i got around 65 and my sister got 50, what grades do you think they will be?

I'd think you'd get an A and she'd get a C.
Reply 64
If I got T wrong for that speed time question do I get follow through marks for the rest of the question cos it all depended on that? Thanks
Reply 65
anybody...? forgot to add the g to 'mg' ? also got q7 correct and then crossed it out :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Reply 66
Original post by Mike93L
Would it have been OK to work out tension first then use T to find R in the car/caravan Q?

Yeah would be fine. Pretty sure they mark them as part of the same question. I was sitting there like a muppet thinking how can I find R first just in case, but they realised I could just add the simultaneous equations.
Reply 67
Original post by jimmy_
anybody...? forgot to add the g to 'mg' ? also got q7 correct and then crossed it out :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You might lose 1 or 2 marks maybe? And I crossed out something that was correct for question 8, sucks doesn't it? :P
Reply 68
Original post by vishcr7
but they asked for the angle it made with j. 76 is also the angle it makes with j. anyhow, do u think i get any marks for that at all?

No, 76 is the angle it makes with -j.
Original post by Mr.cool
he has taken into account the component of the weight. That would be 4gsin30 =2g. He added it to the friction on his diagram.

Oh yeah, rush-read it the first time.
When I started this paper I was being stupidly accurate and explanitory, spending loads of time on things that didn't even matter (i.e. I converted 1500 to 1.50 * 10^3 as I was worried that they would only accept 3s.f.!)
Overall I think I bossed it though, but I had to rush 6 (d) and (e) in the last 2 minutes as I completely skipped them out for some reason.
For the acceleration-time graph, would I lose marks for 'joining up' the axes (EDIT: not the axes, stupid comment! I mean joining up the line for acceleration with the x axis) when the acceleration starts/ends (if you know what I mean).
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone here have any M1 elmwood papers, they could send please
Reply 71
didnt want the A anyway :colonhash::huff:
Reply 72
Yay! :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by When you see it...
Oh yeah, rush-read it the first time.
When I started this paper I was being stupidly accurate and explanitory, spending loads of time on things that didn't even matter (i.e. I converted 1500 to 1.50 * 10^3 as I was worried that they would only accept 3s.f.!)
Overall I think I bossed it though, but I had to rush 6 (d) and (e) in the last 2 minutes as I completely skipped them out for some reason.
For the acceleration-time graph, would I lose marks for 'joining up' the axes (EDIT: not the axes, stupid comment! I mean joining up the line for acceleration with the x axis) when the acceleration starts/ends (if you know what I mean).

If you put a solid line down to the axis you won't get the mark. Dotted is fine though. That's how its been in previous mark schemes.
Reply 74
I got 74 or 75 out of 75.

Thanks Arsery!
Reply 75
Original post by Arsey
Very easy I thought

For question three of vectors, I think I got -3 and -12.

I would only lose one mark I guess? I got everything other than that right, any chance still in 100UMS? Like would they let it slide. :colondollar:
Reply 76
Wud i get full marks (method) for the magnitude of R in that vector question even if i did it the long way using the cosine rule? My answer was correct.
Very good paper. I think i lost around 5 marks. Better than what i expected.
I forgot the m in 17/12 mg. how many marks is that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Question 8C was out of 5 marks, how many marks would you get for finding the new normal reaction force and the new uR value? 2 marks? because thats the part I got correct then I resolved wrong ..
Reply 79
Strangely, I found the last question the easiest for some reason haha

Latest

Trending

Trending