The Student Room Group

Anyone got an offer from Strathclyde?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Farwa
i hope the same .. medicine it is for me
hope i get an offer soon from somewhere

i think i might go because ive never been to the uni and i cant answer any questions about chem eng

Where have you had interviews for med? Yeah, hopefully we'll both get an offer soon :smile:

They have sent another email changing the dates. I'm not going to be able to go anymore as there isn't one on a Friday now. I don't work Fridays.
Reply 21
Original post by Braddd
Where have you had interviews for med? Yeah, hopefully we'll both get an offer soon :smile:

They have sent another email changing the dates. I'm not going to be able to go anymore as there isn't one on a Friday now. I don't work Fridays.

I've had interviews at Glasgow and Dundee for med.

I haven't booked a day because I need to ask for a day off too...
Reply 22
Original post by Braddd

Hey , I see from your sig you've applied to Glasgow (Medicine). What are your stats adv.higher/highers, Ukcat if you don't mind me asking ? trying to work out what their cut-off is this year !
Reply 23
Original post by Farwa
I'm going to book mine soon too but I hope I get into medicine lol

good luck :smile:

lol engineering is also your back up then.

Thanks, same to you !
Reply 24
Original post by Farwa
I've had interviews at Glasgow and Dundee for med.

I haven't booked a day because I need to ask for a day off too...

I've had one for Glasgow too. Dundee rejected me but I was interviewed there last year. I remember it being quite a fun interview whereas my Glasgow one this year was horrific.

Yeah, I'm gonna ask for a day off too. I think it will be a good thing to go to.

Original post by SRK.
Hey , I see from your sig you've applied to Glasgow (Medicine). What are your stats adv.higher/highers, Ukcat if you don't mind me asking ? trying to work out what their cut-off is this year !

Highers - AAAAAB (one A was in s6)
Advanced Highers - ABB (chemistry, maths and physics)
UKCAT - 662.5

I think the cut-off for dentistry is usually lower than the one for medicine at Glasgow. People have had medicine interviews with a score of around 650.
Reply 25
Original post by Braddd
I've had one for Glasgow too. Dundee rejected me but I was interviewed there last year. I remember it being quite a fun interview whereas my Glasgow one this year was horrific.

Yeah, I'm gonna ask for a day off too. I think it will be a good thing to go to.

Highers - AAAAAB (one A was in s6)
Advanced Highers - ABB (chemistry, maths and physics)
UKCAT - 662.5

I think the cut-off for dentistry is usually lower than the one for medicine at Glasgow. People have had medicine interviews with a score of around 650.

yeah for dentistry, this year it was lower. Last year, the cut-off was 665 !

Also, I thought St. Andrews required AAA - AAB (advanced highers). Might be lower this year ? Anyway best of luck with your application !
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by SRK.
lol engineering is also your back up then.

Thanks, same to you !

yup lol
i see you've applied for dentistry .. good luck with that
did you get any interviews so far?

Original post by Braddd

dundee rejected me too but then cancelled it and invited me for an interview and glasgow interview was scary ... it really made me nervous where as in my dundee interview i was really calm and comfortable...

but i wont say anything went well till i get an offer lol :P
Reply 27
Original post by SRK.
yeah for dentistry, this year it was lower. Last year, the cut-off was 665 !

Also, I thought St. Andrews required AAA - AAB (advanced highers). Might be lower this year ? Anyway best of luck with your application !

Have a look at this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dental_Applicants_Stalking_2011#Glasgow
Last year people were being interviewed for dentistry with scores of around 600. I don't think it'll have changed too drastically. How did you do this year?

Nah, St. Andrews don't have any requirements for advanced highers. They ask for AAAAB at higher (with an A in chemistry). They say that for your application to be considered competitive then you should be predicted two A's in your 6th year subjects (whether those be AHs or new highers) which I have in AH chemistry and crash higher biology.
Reply 28
Original post by Farwa
yup lol
i see you've applied for dentistry .. good luck with that
did you get any interviews so far?

dundee rejected me too but then cancelled it and invited me for an interview and glasgow interview was scary ... it really made me nervous where as in my dundee interview i was really calm and comfortable...

Yes, from Glasgow and Dundee - here's hoping !

I'm looking into max fax so might need help from you medics later on :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by SRK.

Yes, from Glasgow and Dundee - here's hoping !

I'm looking into max fax so might need help from you medics later on :tongue:

haha
i had interviews from glasgow and dundee too

oooo that should be interesting
hope all of us get in somewhere :redface:
Reply 30
Original post by Farwa

I assume that was after you requested feedback? I knew I should've done that haha. It's amazing that they cancelled your rejection though. Yeah, I also found my Glasgow one scary. My St Andrews interview was much friendlier. I have one at Aberdeen on the 21st so I'm hoping they are also friendly.

It's only another 5ish weeks until we hear back from unis :biggrin: This wait has been terrible.
Reply 31
Original post by Braddd
Have a look at this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dental_Applicants_Stalking_2011#Glasgow
Last year people were being interviewed for dentistry with scores of around 600. I don't think it'll have changed too drastically. How did you do this year?

Nah, St. Andrews don't have any requirements for advanced highers. They ask for AAAAB at higher (with an A in chemistry). They say that for your application to be considered competitive then you should be predicted two A's in your 6th year subjects (whether those be AHs or new highers) which I have in AH chemistry and crash higher biology.

yes your right with regards to people being interviewed with scores of 600. But that was if you met the desirable conditions. If not, you would need a score of 665 to be called for interview. :smile:

This year it is much more simple, get X cut off score ->called for interview (MMI's !). Much like Glasgow medicine.

oh right, I thought that is either AA in either both Adv. higher or AA in both crash highers( not mix and match i.e. AA from one Adv. Higher and crash higher ).

Got interviews for Glasgow and Dundee. Lets see what happens !
Reply 32
Original post by Braddd
I assume that was after you requested feedback? I knew I should've done that haha. It's amazing that they cancelled your rejection though. Yeah, I also found my Glasgow one scary. My St Andrews interview was much friendlier. I have one at Aberdeen on the 21st so I'm hoping they are also friendly.

It's only another 5ish weeks until we hear back from unis :biggrin: This wait has been terrible.

yes i did request feedback the day after my rejection ... very happy i did that
good luck for your other interview aberdeen still hasnt got back to me :frown:

but hoping that dundee doesnt have a system failure this year :frown: i really want to hear something soon..
Reply 33
Original post by Farwa

but hoping that dundee doesnt have a system failure this year :frown: i really want to hear something soon..

Did they have a system failure last year ?
Reply 34
Original post by SRK.
I got rejected initially from Dundee too ! I phoned them up the next day and Gordon Black said it was a mistake :eek: An hour later my track changed & I received an e-mail calling me for interview .

that is really funny i emailed them and they said i got invited for interview but my track still says rejected... it didnt change..
gordon black said they arent allowed to change it now..
so it will only change if they give me an offer now .. otherwise it wont
Reply 35
Original post by SRK.
Did they have a system failure last year ?

YES! they sent offers by mid feb in 2009 but last year they had a failure so had to do all the calculations (or whatever they do) manually which took long so they sent out offers at the end of march :O
Reply 36
Original post by SRK.
yes your right with regards to people being interviewed with scores of 600. But that was if you met the desirable conditions. If not, you would need a score of 665 to be called for interview. :smile:

This year it is much more simple, get X cut off score ->called for interview (MMI's !). Much like Glasgow medicine.

oh right, I thought that is either AA in either both Adv. higher or AA in both crash highers( not mix and match i.e. AA from one Adv. Higher and crash higher ).

Got interviews for Glasgow and Dundee. Lets see what happens !

Oh I see. It's all very confusing. I didn't know Glasgow did MMIs. If they are anything like the ones at Dundee then they're quite fun.

Well I wasn't sure about the whole two As thing so I emailed them before applying. Their reply was; 'The School of Medicine website gives information about competitive applications which mentions that S6 study should include at least 2 A grades in new Highers or Advanced Highers, which you say you have achieved and as long as you have met the entry requirements in your S5 Highers an application would be competitive in the academic assessment.'

It must be good enough for them seeing as I managed to get an interview.

Good luck with your interviews.

Original post by Farwa

I think someone posted that Aberdeen had only given out roughly half of their interviews. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

If we don't end up in medicine then I'm sure we'll make bloody good engineers.
Reply 37
Original post by SRK.
Did they mention why you got rejected in the first place - was it a mistake, or upon review that you were then called for interview ?

i think it was an interview appeal for me ..
but i didnt expect to be called back..

although when i applied last year i got rejected and got told the only problem with my application was my low ukcat score
but this year my ukcat was better than last year so i dont know whether it was an appeal or a mistake..
Reply 38
Original post by Braddd
Oh I see. It's all very confusing. I didn't know Glasgow did MMIs. If they are anything like the ones at Dundee then they're quite fun.

Well I wasn't sure about the whole two As thing so I emailed them before applying. Their reply was; 'The School of Medicine website gives information about competitive applications which mentions that S6 study should include at least 2 A grades in new Highers or Advanced Highers, which you say you have achieved and as long as you have met the entry requirements in your S5 Highers an application would be competitive in the academic assessment.'

It must be good enough for them seeing as I managed to get an interview.

Good luck with your interviews.

I think someone posted that Aberdeen had only given out roughly half of their interviews. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

If we don't end up in medicine then I'm sure we'll make bloody good engineers.

FOR SURE lol.. but i hope we end up as good doctors :P
Reply 39
Original post by scttlsk
Hey, I've applied for both of those courses as well as another MEng course and I haven't heard from any of them. I got told they would make decisions at the start of March which is an annoyingly long time away. I got AAABB though so hopefully it's not a bad sign that I haven't heard yet!

I have the same grades as you :biggrin: hopewe both get in then haha. What course do you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest