The Student Room Group

So what's actually the difference between mature and 'normal' students?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on where you go. I know from experience that, at Durham, they like to put "mature" students into the 3rd-tier colleges—even if you're just barely over 21. You can insist on being allowed into a "normal"/top college if you have the marks for it, but even if they let you in, the faculty are likely to bully you out almost immediately. This shouldn't be as much of a problem (or any problem at all) in more modern and progressive universities.
Reply 21
Original post by orka
I just turned 21 a few days ago. I still look like I'm 18 though :frown: I have been depressed and just wasting me life when I left college at 19. I really wish I went to university but I wasn't ready to do it after I just did 3 years of college boredom, it took it's tow on me.

I am going to apply for this september and I haven't got a clue what the difference is. Do I have to pay more or something?

If I would go to university this year, I guarantee that I would look the youngest in the class :colondollar: ah man that's going to be really embarrassing..

Haha, I'm pretty much in the same situation, and I also look quite young even though I'm 21. I'm just not going to go around telling everyone my age. I mean, if anyone asks, I would tell the truth, but I see no reason to just tell people, and then no one would have any idea I'm any older. That's my plan, anyway.
Reply 22
The term ‘mature student’ is one that had historic meaning. When I looked into going to university back in the late 70’s early 80’s, only 6% of 18 year olds went to university. Few went once they reached 21. It was hoped that it would encourage older persons to apply, as a few years in the work place does change your attitudes to many things. As you did not pay any sort of fee to attend, and they paid you extra to make up for the higher income you were used to, it was not a bad deal.

However in talking to university staff recently, they feel that 21 does not give you time to have developed your life experiences to the point where you have an advantage over 18 year olds. They look at things on an individual basis, and the more you can say you have done in your PS the better.

Universities like older students, we take a more active role in lectures and classes, but at the downside of being a bit bolshi. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by _N_
Haha, I'm pretty much in the same situation, and I also look quite young even though I'm 21. I'm just not going to go around telling everyone my age. I mean, if anyone asks, I would tell the truth, but I see no reason to just tell people, and then no one would have any idea I'm any older. That's my plan, anyway.

Apparently 60% of students are over 21.. I'm going to do the same as you. Just not bring up my age unless I get asked.
Reply 24
21 doesn't feel that mature to be. there's plenty of students in my uni in their late 20's and you just talk to them in the same way you'd talk to an 18/19 year old, not really a big difference tbh.
Reply 25
Original post by orka
I just turned 21 a few days ago. I still look like I'm 18 though :frown: I have been depressed and just wasting me life when I left college at 19. I really wish I went to university but I wasn't ready to do it after I just did 3 years of college boredom, it took it's tow on me.

I am going to apply for this september and I haven't got a clue what the difference is. Do I have to pay more or something?

If I would go to university this year, I guarantee that I would look the youngest in the class :colondollar: ah man that's going to be really embarrassing..

Only difference is age really. Sounds like you might have the best of both worlds being 21 but looking young, you can fit in with the 18yr olds but still benefit from having the maturity those extra couple of years life experience brings.

If you are lucky you may find your university offers extra bursaries or scholarships for mature students......... mine does and also has some computer rooms which are reserved for mature students / post grads only, which is nice if you want a quiet secluded place to study.
Original post by TheyCallMeIshmael
It depends on where you go. I know from experience that, at Durham, they like to put "mature" students into the 3rd-tier colleges—even if you're just barely over 21. You can insist on being allowed into a "normal"/top college if you have the marks for it, but even if they let you in, the faculty are likely to bully you out almost immediately. This shouldn't be as much of a problem (or any problem at all) in more modern and progressive universities.

What college did they put you in ? By faculty do you mean the academic department ?

I take it that it was not an enjoyable experience ?
Depending on the age, it could be either nothing whatsoever, or a substantial difference. It seems for this generation, people don't really grow up until they hit twenty-five, perhaps even older.

It's mindset, ultimately. I felt like a pariah in both college and university, despite being very much of average age. Maturity =/= age
Original post by TheyCallMeIshmael

Which are the third tier colleges? I've applied to Hatfield and I'm 20 so quite anxious to see which college I will be pooled in to.
Original post by AishaFletcher
Which are the third tier colleges? I've applied to Hatfield and I'm 20 so quite anxious to see which college I will be pooled in to.

There are not any third tier colleges. Colleges do not make academic offers like Oxbridge. Some have more ensuite rooms and single rooms which may make them more popular.

I have accepted St John's which is on the Bailey. My application was open.

Good luck with your app.
Reply 30
I’m on a BA at UCL doing Archaeology and we have a pretty big first year. There’s 65 or so of us in total. Around 12 of us are age 21+ but I’d put the amount of mature students at 15 or so. A couple of the 21+ people aren’t mature students in terms of the way they behave and there are a few of the younger students who enjoy hanging out with us “oldies” and who have the same approach to studying.
So saying, the youngsters assume that because we have a mature attitude toward the way we work we don’t turn up drunk at tutorials at 9am (we do sometimes), don’t get drunk at weekends (mostly we do) and can’t handle our drink or have any fun (we could drink most of ‘em under the table hehe). Point is, because we don’t go out with them the less mature folks assume we don’t ever have fun we just do it in a different way.
It’s a universal rule that the mature students sit at the front and the idiots sit at the back and talk through lectures. It just works out this way for some reason
Reply 31
Id personally say it is what you make of it.
Im 23 studying a 2 year part time foundation history degree at oxford, with a view to either going into the 2nd year of a history degree full time or starting in 1st year studying law here. (still undecided on that but both are fascinating in different respects)

Im one of the youngest on this course and to be fair it dosent bother me, so i would expect that would be transferable in a polar situation.
I have made plenty of friends here, from first year students, up to 3rd years, postgrads and tutors, aswell as the slightly older people on my course. University is what you make of it and what you want to get out of it that counts in my eyes.

As LewisH has said you will find having some more life experience and worldly tales, you will study slightly differently. My aim is to take things more seriously from the get go, not only does it look good to tutors (and there more likely to help you out in a jam if you keen), but the grades and marks gained in 1st year are very much a banker in the sense that most 1st years go out most nights and coast through with a 50 or 60 when in reality the ever desired magical 70 is highly and easily achievable, and i expect most mature students will hit this, or at least get very close to it.

Also if considering applying to oxbridge or the other historic universities, dont be too upset about what college you get put into, as they generally have a dedicated college for mature students, i know here we have Manchester Harris, not sure about cambridge and durham however. It is essential to remember that these colleges are assigned (if applying openly and are not too bothered) for you and to where they feel you would most comfortably fit in, and it is a decission the faculty and colleges make together. The awarding body on your degree certificate will say whatever university it is from, and does not mention colleges, to my knowledge at least.

Dont stress too much about being classed as different, if its something you feel ready for and truly want to do, go for it, they will be the best years of your life, that is certain. 1st years and other people on the course wont care about age, they will care about you and what your like, so inevitably you will clash with some personalities, thats life.

Good luck with you application, if you want any help or advice feel free to pop me a message.
Original post by LewisH
I’m on a BA at UCL doing Archaeology and we have a pretty big first year. There’s 65 or so of us in total. Around 12 of us are age 21+ but I’d put the amount of mature students at 15 or so.

Hi, can I how many of the 65 in your year are single honours BA or BSc ? Rather than Archaeology and something ? From the Unis I applied to I got the impression that there are not that many single honours, most doing joint, and within single honours a ration of 4 or 5 to 1 for BA to BSc.

Cheers
Reply 33
Original post by evening sunrise
Hi, can I how many of the 65 in your year are single honours BA or BSc ? Rather than Archaeology and something ? From the Unis I applied to I got the impression that there are not that many single honours, most doing joint, and within single honours a ration of 4 or 5 to 1 for BA to BSc.

Cheers

Sorry I guess I wasn't being specific. There's 65 with BA/BSc/Arch-Anth/Classics/Egyptology folks etc. Couldn't give you exact statistics on what people are doing I'm afraid. Year one we're kinda lumped in together.
reminds me of cheese
mmm cheese
Reply 35
Youll have only just turned into a mature student because if you'd been a year younger by september you still wouldn't be a mature student. Personally I think age is just a number and anyways i look about 16 when im 19 seriously young so it doesn't matter. Hopefully it'll mean well look young when were middle aged :wink: I havent seen many mature students in halls, tho there is a 21 year old here and at lancaster there was a 28 year old and she seems to fit in well there. anywayz you generally find some proper mature students like in their late 30s 40s in lectures, especially if its nursing or business or whatever. But dont wory about it- 3 years older or 2 years older then people whove been on gap years aint much. Just go to a uni you like the feel of and go because your interested in the subject.
im 20 will be 21 in july and i got accepted into a course in england for sep. i will be a mature student. im hoping there will be people my age. i think mostly younger though will be there. i was in college like 2 years ago but i had to drop out got sick :frown: ... so im behind everyone i went to school with all in their final year or something like that.

i still get asked for id all the time i get told i look like im 15 and i do act immature most of the time. thing is i dont feel older mentally i still feel the same since i was like 14 or 15, ive just taken on new responsibilities and learned to cope and manage stress more. im not a total flake i know when i need to be mature about stuff but when i can i prefer to laidback and carefee. i have alot of life experience when it comes to my course. i just dont wana be the old granny in my year. i wana make friends dont want to show them how to use the washing machine and oven like i did in the last college. i was always in the middle age wise in school. i will be in 18+ accom anyway :smile: and if i make friends with people my age in different courses that would be fine. if im living and studying with the same small group of people for a few months i can imagine everyone will get bored quick...
(edited 12 years ago)
one of my friends is a 'mature' student... he got invited to a 'coffee and cake morning' during freshers week

he's also going bald

he's 25

we make fun of him :h:
Original post by LewisH
Sorry I guess I wasn't being specific. There's 65 with BA/BSc/Arch-Anth/Classics/Egyptology folks etc. Couldn't give you exact statistics on what people are doing I'm afraid. Year one we're kinda lumped in together.

Thanks
Original post by evening sunrise
What college did they put you in ? By faculty do you mean the academic department ?

I take it that it was not an enjoyable experience ?

I applied to Hatfield. After initially suggesting that I forfeit my place and go to St. Cuthbert's Society—where they like to dump all of the mature students—they accepted that I had my heart set on Hatfield, and they let me in. So I thought.

Within two weeks, the senior tutor learned about my rather ****ed up childhood, and she revealed two things about herself: 1) she is quite possibly the most two-faced, sociopathic, and pretentious person in this universe, and 2) she obviously didn't bother to read my personal statement prior to giving me a place, or my childhood would not have come as a surprise to her—I made the obstacles that I had to overcome to apply to Durham perfectly clear in my application. At any rate, one shouldn't be judged for being a victim of child abuse in the first place...

To make a long story short, after phoning the police on me twice and accusing me of threatening to kill several people, I was banned for life. Funny—I attended my previous college for 2.5 years without any problems, but within 2.5 months of arriving in Durham, I'd been labelled the most dangerous man in Britain.

The moral of the story is, if you are unconventional in a variety of ways—age, background, coming from overseas, etc—these factors will add up, and the powers that be will decide that you aren't quite good enough for Hatfield. If they try to shove you into another college, my advice would be to listen to them. Better yet, go to a university where they don't have their heads up their asses.

Original post by AishaFletcher

Well, call me pretentious (the irony being that I was booted for not being the stereotype that Hatfield wanted), but I had no intention of going to Cuth's or Butler, which is where they funnel the mature students into. I wanted the ancient traditions; I wanted the Hatfield Spirit. So, to me, those colleges stood out as the opposite of what I wanted—to you, they may be ideal. At any rate, it's wrong to force "nontraditional" students into one of two colleges and allow everyone else to have freedom of choice amongst 14, particularly when I looked younger than most of the people there. (I was only 24.) You're 20; when I was there, the next-oldest fresher was also 20. (You can see how much of a standout I was, then—the oldest fresher in the college by 4 years.) You'll probably be fine.

That said, I do have some advice. Minimise your contact—verbal, physical, hell, even eye contact, just to be safe—with the master and vice-master. They have more in common with the Doctor Who villain than the title, I can assure you. Do not—I repeat, DO NOT—trust anyone on the exec, as they have sold out to their masters and will turn even the most minor social faux pas into an international scandal in the interest of making themselves look diligent and busy. Do not post anything negative on Facebook—about your mood, and especially with regard to the college—or the Gestapo will be at your door within half an hour to ensure that you get back in line, and the senior tutor will find out about it. Finally, the DSU is not there to help you, nor are they independent of the university—you can probably trust them to assist you in picking out accommodations and things like that, but if you ever need to file a grievance against college faculty, fuhgeddaboudit!

Good luck, and... have fun?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending