The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Imagine a circumstance in which you couldn't do medicine. Not as an undergraduate, not as a graduate, you just couldn't be a doctor. (And don't ask me why, because this is entirely hypothetical and for the purpose of the question only). What would you do as a career/job?
Original post by IAmMclovin
Why must everything be difficult :grumble:

ah well, better start preparing nice and early then :tongue:

I'm just worried that if I start too early I'll have no questions left to do nearer the time!

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
:emog: 'Sup guys

:hello:

Original post by fletchdd02
I sleep with the UKCAT book next to my head at night, hoping that the knowledge diffuses through the air into my brain :colone:

Cunning I here you say...

:lol:

Original post by erniiee
Wow this thread is moving along quickly!

It sure is :biggrin:
Reply 582
Imagine a circumstance in which you couldn't do medicine. Not as an undergraduate, not as a graduate, you just couldn't be a doctor. (And don't ask me why, because this is entirely hypothetical and for the purpose of the question only). What would you do as a career/job?

Probably study Natural Sciences/Biomed and see where it takes me :smile:
Original post by erniiee
Probably study Natural Sciences/Biomed and see where it takes me :smile:

I think I would be a biomedical scientist, or possibly a nurse or midwife, or maybe something to do with genetics, or maybe a physiologist of some type.

I was thinking about this the other day actually.

Maybe a nurse. I think the main part of medicine i'd like is working with people, helping them, healthcare team etc. so, especially these days there's a bit of crossover there.

Or maybe an open ended biomed course (most are simply training for hospital lab work) and then some kinda research.
Original post by Natalie21
I'm just worried that if I start too early I'll have no questions left to do nearer the time!

Use this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992

+ukcat practice papers, loads of other ukcat books, so doing small amounts now and saving the papers for nearer the time should be fine :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Orinincandenza
Really, as long as you have some, universities value the UKCAT exponentially more than work exp., Newcastle base their whole system around it, so yeah it's good to concentrate more on that.

yeah, i just hope i odnt mess up the ukcat :redface:, its so hard to get work exp! im finding it impossible to get any at a GP's and ive got very little at a hospital

how much hospital work experience do you plan to have by the time you apply? :smile:
yeah, i just hope i odnt mess up the ukcat :redface:, its so hard to get work exp! im finding it impossible to get any at a GP's and ive got very little at a hospital

how much hospital work experience do you plan to have by the time you apply? :smile:

I have a month volunteering/work exp. in a Cambodian health clinic and a very valuable week in a GP surgery. Also i volunteer in a hospital which isn't really work exp. but i talk to patients and doctors and is pretty valuable.

I have a week of private hospital w/e organised in june, and am trying to get another on the NHS, but like you say very difficult to get.

But i don't think admissions boards expect that much in terms of quantity, they mainly want reflection and linking it to qualities like communication or teamwork.

(So to answer the Q like two weeks hospital w/e)
I was thinking about this the other day actually.

Maybe a nurse. I think the main part of medicine i'd like is working with people, helping them, healthcare team etc. so, especially these days there's a bit of crossover there.

Or maybe an open ended biomed course (most are simply training for hospital lab work) and then some kinda research.

Yeah. I think I'd either be a child's/mental health nurse or a midwife.

But if you do a life sciences degree there are quite a few jobs that are available to you which look quite interesting
I have a month volunteering/work exp. in a Cambodian health clinic and a very valuable week in a GP surgery. Also i volunteer in a hospital which isn't really work exp. but i talk to patients and doctors and is pretty valuable.

I have a week of private hospital w/e organised in june, and am trying to get another on the NHS, but like you say very difficult to get.

But i don't think admissions boards expect that much in terms of quantity, they mainly want reflection and linking it to qualities like communication or teamwork.

some of my friends have like 4 weeks already and are going to end up with like 6 weeks by the time they apply :sigh:, i wont have nearly as much. I need to stop being so competitive/comparing myself to other people! Its a bad habit :tongue:

How was your work exp in a cambodian health clinic? it sounds awesome! :smile:

Probably do a Biochemistry degree and try to get into research, or perhaps go down the nursing route. What would you do? :smile:
Reply 591
I think I would be a biomedical scientist, or possibly a nurse or midwife, or maybe something to do with genetics, or maybe a physiologist of some type.

Nice. :smile: My aim would be stay in Biological areas!
some of my friends have like 4 weeks already and are going to end up with like 6 weeks by the time they apply :sigh:, i wont have nearly as much. I need to stop being so competitive/comparing myself to other people! Its a bad habit :tongue:

Yeah but you have to remember w/e isn't the same as grades or UKCAT, where more is infinitely better, although obviously you need some.

My work exp. was very very good, hugely enjoyable and very valuable for learning about medical practice.
Yeah but you have to remember w/e isn't the same as grades or UKCAT, where more is infinitely better, although obviously you need some.

My work exp. was very very good, hugely enjoyable and very valuable for learning about medical practice.

nice one! glad you enjoyed it! :biggrin:

During volunteering, are you allowed to watch some of the obs or blood tests or any actual procedures?
Original post by Sugarandspies
During volunteering, are you allowed to watch some of the obs or blood tests or any actual procedures?

Erm no, i'm not strictly there in a learning capacity so i don't usually observe anyone working, i'm kinda meant to do my own work. I help give out meals, make tea/coffee, talk to patients (hospitals are obscenely lonely places), and do washing up.

What i referred to was just talking to doctors when they have a minute about university or practice or whatever.

Probably a commercial pilot, always have loved planes ^^
Biomed possibly...not sure where that would take me tbh.
Or become a lawyer and become a badass lawyer like Harvey in Suits :O
Or join the army and become a medic for the lols :P

Can't really think of anything I'd like to do apart from be a doctor lol :P
Reply 597

Got confused for a doctor today at volunteering... by a nurse :h: (Then again, I think anybody who's dressed semi formally and isn't in a hospital bed, is confused for a doctor)
Still beaming, though :colone:

Erm no, i'm not strictly there in a learning capacity so i don't usually observe anyone working, i'm kinda meant to do my own work. I help give out meals, make tea/coffee, talk to patients (hospitals are obscenely lonely places), and do washing up.

What i referred to was just talking to doctors when they have a minute about university or practice or whatever.

I volunteer in the same capacity as you, but I can never find time to speak to consultants.
May I ask what ward you volunteer on?
Reply 598

Can I ask what you have so far/planned for the time you apply? :smile:
Hey everyone just got back from volunteering... so fun :3

Latest

Trending

Trending