The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

''Caterers dont even do bufalo wings.''
"Meredith Grey, child of darkness, has finally found someone...its your day Meredith, cant just piss it away on a stupid slip dress and a cheese tray from the grocery store..."

Haha, Izzie :tongue: How do I marry this woman?
Original post by The.Joker
Hi,
Im currently in year 12 and I'd like to apply for medicine next year.
I was wondering how did you guys arrange your work experience?
Because I have called up a few places and sent many emails but I have no work experience whatsoever. :frown:

haha that sort of thing needs determination...just keep calling and wat not.. if u want i can email you what i wrote a couple of consultants at hospitals for work experience seemed to get me places... and haha if u see it on yahoo answers it was me who posted it on... :ahee:
on me phone right now... will email u soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AtomicMan
''Caterers dont even do bufalo wings.''
"Meredith Grey, child of darkness, has finally found someone...its your day Meredith, cant just piss it away on a stupid slip dress and a cheese tray from the grocery store..."

Haha, Izzie :tongue: How do I marry this woman?

Isn't she just perfect? :love: Haha
Original post by Zazuwaved
haha that sort of thing needs determination...just keep calling and wat not.. if u want i can email you what i wrote a couple of consultants at hospitals for work experience seemed to get me places... and haha if u see it on yahoo answers it was me who posted it on... :ahee:
on me phone right now... will email u soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

please PM me as soon as you can!!! Thanks :smile:
Original post by oli_G
Biomedical sciences at Southampton.

Not sure what i'll do if I don't get in. It's a good course (and was still like 8 to 1 for a place) so part of me would want to take it. But then again, i'd probably just do a gap year and work as an HCA or something :dontknow:

Still, it felt really good getting it so I bet receiving any medicine offers will feel absolutely amazing :smile:

Well done that's amazing you deserve it :smile:
Original post by suncake
Yay, well done! :smile:

Did anyone else just get the UKCAT survey email from Plymouth?

Is it only if you apply there? I got one from Dundee and I didn't apply there.
Reply 9926
Original post by emah123
Hi guys,

I'm starting to stress as i sent my application a week ago but still haven't got any confirmation from uni's saying that they've recieved it:frown:

I applied to bristol, keele, cardiff and leicester

Has anyone got any interviews yet?

This waiting is so scary!!

I guess my posts are invisible then...
Reply 9927
Original post by SaintSoldier
Quick Biology Question:

State two ways in which the structure of the medulla differs from the structure of the cortex.

I (kind of) know what to say but I want to make sure that I am covering all possible points :biggrin:

the medulla of what? The kidneys? The adrenal glands?

if kidneys, medulla contains loops of Henle, the cortex contains the rest of the nephron, including the Bowman's capsule.
Also, don't think this counts as structure, but water potential in medulla is much lower than in the cortex.
Original post by Pride

if kidneys, medulla contains loops of Henle, the cortex contains the rest of the nephron, including the Bowman's capsule.
Also, don't think this counts as structure, but water potential in medulla is much lower than in the cortex.

This sounds like a well good biology module. What board? We're stuck doing food chains!!!! :frown:
Urgh, kidneys. I have never ever been taught about kidneys or nephrons in the history of my scientific education, so have to self-teach myself about them for BMAT >.> Same goes for homeostasis
Reply 9930
Original post by AspiringGenius
Don't worry, I had a panic yesterday because everyone was getting acknowledgements from UcL and I hadn't so I thought my application had not gone through. :rolleyes:

Mitt Romney is a scary prospect. Obama is a failure for even allowing such an idiot to be competition. I despair at people voting for him and thinking he is for hardworking Americans.

I would hate to work in their healthcare system as well. It's appaling.

Bet gon fight you for mark III

What? No it's not...

Speaking with a degree of bias, it's no NHS. But it certainly is not appalling... Are you kidding me?
Reply 9931
Urgh, kidneys. I have never ever been taught about kidneys or nephrons in the history of my scientific education, so have to self-teach myself about them for BMAT >.> Same goes for homeostasis

oh I see.

ahh that's annoying, because there is quite a bit of content in that.

I personally have had to learn about the menstrual cycle, and those genetic diagram things... autosomnal, x-linked etc.
Don't get me started on physics
Reply 9932
Original post by Hippokrates
This sounds like a well good biology module. What board? We're stuck doing food chains!!!! :frown:

The notorious OCR. It's not a good board, I assure you. Lol.
Original post by Pride

That sounds good. What exam board is this?

EDIT: Answered above :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pride
The notorious OCR. It's not a good board, I assure you. Lol.

This.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Hope so!! Can't believe people have interviews from B'ham already!!:frown:

Hang on a second, people have got medicine interview invitations from birmingham already?! Is this definite?
Original post by Pride
What? No it's not...

Speaking with a degree of bias, it's no NHS. But it certainly is not appalling... Are you kidding me?

It was more a comment on the 50000000 Americans who have no healthcare safety rope because they can't afford the insurance. Obama seems to have got halfway through making good healthcare accessible for all and there are millions of Americans stranded in the middle.

The actual healthcare (if you can afford it) is very good. But until they sort out the many issues of inequality I could never consider working in such a system.

Edit: my sources may be out of date or incorrect I read this about 6 months ago. I still don't like the system though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Urgh same. I have to learn from scratch the kidneys, the eyes and hormones etc. the only thing I swear we've done is the heart and lungs and digestive system.

I have been taught that...but it was a long time ago...AQA Core GCSE I think it was or possibly before...I think I did homeostasis in year 9, just can't remember whether we'd started GCSE work or not...my bio teacher is getting a bit sick of me though I think...I keep doing BMAT prep in her lesson when I finish the work...then wind up distracting her with stuff I need explaining!!! I say it's her fault cos she gives us too long for the questions she sets, but apparently that's not true!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NutterFrutter
Birmingham have started giving interviews out (according to people on this thread). :smile:

Really?! Who's got an interview? I've applied there :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending