The Student Room Group

Access course Rejection

So i talked to the University and took a maths test and past. I started the course last week. Not a rejection after all, i showed them. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
That's crazy since most Access courses let you achieve GCSE equivalent in maths and english!
Reply 2
What access course were you applying for? Does the college not have a gcse course?
Maybe look into doing distance learning gcse and sit the exam in your local college.good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Kvitty
What access course were you applying for? Does the college not have a gcse course?
Maybe look into doing distance learning gcse and sit the exam in your local college.good luck

The course is a Business and Management course at Bolton University, it starts in February. I find it ridiculous since the course asked for relevant life experience, which i believe i have, i Worked for a year in an office and gained some recent qualifications such as ITQ.

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/ViewCourse.aspx?cid=dCtjzWHt2PE%3d&pvdr=FKoV85IBw9I%3d&cdId=EeKaCZDZfoI%3d

Maths always lets me down, time to hit Khan Academy.
Original post by maturestudy
That's crazy since most Access courses let you achieve GCSE equivalent in maths and english!

It depends on the course though. Ours has 60 level 3 credits and no maths or English modules so a C in maths and English is a prerequisite of joining the course.

OP, rubbish news for you though most universities will ask for maths gcse at c or above so unfortunately will probably have to be done. Could you approach the college and ask if you could join the access course on the proviso that you retake maths gcse at the same time? Best of luck.
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
It depends on the course though. Ours has 60 level 3 credits and no maths or English modules so a C in maths and English is a prerequisite of joining the course.

OP, rubbish news for you though most universities will ask for maths gcse at c or above so unfortunately will probably have to be done. Could you approach the college and ask if you could join the access course on the proviso that you retake maths gcse at the same time? Best of luck.

That's just poor on your college's part. I'm studying 90 Level 3 credits but those without maths, english or science can still attain GCSE equivalence if they need to.
Reply 6
Original post by maturestudy
That's just poor on your college's part. I'm studying 90 Level 3 credits but those without maths, english or science can still attain GCSE equivalence if they need to.

Can't wait to pester them on Monday, it's ridiculous the whole concept of the Access Course is to assess the potential of someone, you would think if someone is strong in all areas apart from one, they would allow you to get up to speed in the particular subject.

Did they even read my PS or just skip every GCSE i have and think no maths=Fail lol
(edited 12 years ago)
That's dumb mate, have you tried looking at other colleges?
Reply 8
Original post by Nizza123
Can't wait to pester them on Monday, it's ridiculous the whole concept of the Access Course is to assess the potential of someone, you would think if someone is strong in all areas apart from one, they would allow you to get up to speed in the particular subject.

Did they even read my PS or just skip every GCSE i have and think no maths=Fail lol

I agree with you Nizza123 on what u said.At our college u have to sit a Maths and English test to gain entry onto our Access programme and if the college doesnt know u you also have to have a interview.However since i was nearly the end of their Pre-Access programme did help me in some way

Some colleges offer this type of entrance test to test your abilitiy in these two main subject areas.I Would suggest if you still dont get any joy with them to look around at Other Colleges who offer the access course programme u wish to do.I take it Nizza123 u going for September entry?
Reply 9
Original post by wizardtop
I agree with you Nizza123 on what u said.At our college u have to sit a Maths and English test to gain entry onto our Access programme and if the college doesnt know u you also have to have a interview.However since i was nearly the end of their Pre-Access programme did help me in some way

Some colleges offer this type of entrance test to test your abilitiy in these two main subject areas.I Would suggest if you still dont get any joy with them to look around at Other Colleges who offer the access course programme u wish to do.I take it Nizza123 u going for September entry?

February entry unfortunately. So disappointing, can't wait for Monday! I am getting on that course.
Reply 10
bump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending