The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We should also have a dissertation thread for those of us that have them (might save the rest of you from our moaning :P) - I'm sure there was one last year?
Original post by MathsNerd1
I understand that you can't be perfect all the time but I do want to try my best to make the most of university while still being able to get a top first as my degree, so I think having all the pressure will help me as I tend to do better when I'm under pressure, also I'm already quite independent so the whole issue of moving away and looking after myself in all aspects doesn't really bother me, also I've never had anyone tell me when to do my work for pretty much all my life so I don't think that would be a problem either as I'd be motivated enough by my course to complete everything on time and to the best of my ability. I understand this doesn't sound like I appreciate the advice you have both given me but I really do, so thanks for all your advice and will keep it in mind when I start my course. :smile:

Haha okay, just remember to be nice to yourself!

---

I'm trying to do prelim reading for next year and I couldn't afford the books for one module (they were ridiculous!) so I'm trying to find them online... I think I'm going to have to wait until I go back to Manchester to read one of them.
Original post by Aemiliana

---

I'm trying to do prelim reading for next year and I couldn't afford the books for one module (they were ridiculous!) so I'm trying to find them online... I think I'm going to have to wait until I go back to Manchester to read one of them.

:frown: stupid books being stupidly expensive.
Edit: Yay, the department are doing a macmillan coffee morning. My flatmates are going to struggle to get me out of the kitchen that week, i think.
(edited 10 years ago)
The thread idea is awesome :smile: Nudging each other on here for exam revision/essays/assignments/whatever we need to get done is always great too.

So looking forward to the texts this year, particularly term two (lots of Victorian :dance:). Re: societies, some seem to fizzle out partway through the term/year so if you can, find out how active they are.
I am still a member of my department soc but I think I will get involved in a volunteering society and perhaps one more. Time is limited though :sad:
We should also have a dissertation thread for those of us that have them (might save the rest of you from our moaning :P) - I'm sure there was one last year?

Yeah good idea, I'm already panicking about mine and the year hasn't even started yet! :s-smilie:

Thanks, I will try my best to do that :biggrin:
Just writing out my timetable. Some weeks I have 4 labs 10.30-5 a week, and other weeks I have no labs. I wish they were spread out equally :frown:
Reply 7987
Have 0 motivation. Have to write up my results section for this placement report but I'm just spending ages fiddling with the size of my images. Also have to read a 35 page paper on DNA recombination before I can arrange a meeting with my honours project superviser. Urrrggg just want to sleep
Right, losers, I've made the thread. It's here. You can get stuffed if you think I'm tagging you all!
Original post by .snowflake.
Right, losers, I've made the thread. It's here. You can get stuffed if you think I'm tagging you all!

:teehee:
Original post by cpdavis
:teehee:

well, quoting you all in the other thread. I think i would poke my own eye out before i was finished.
2nd day in and I already wanna shoot myself :/
Reply 7992
Original post by snailsareslimy
Very nice! I was always into nature photography but I did a bit of everything really, definitely want to get a better kit so my images are a better standard!
I have a few pics up here: http://www.lindsaywilsonphoto.co.nr (just a quick portfolio I made for my CV)

The Nikon D3100 is a nice camera, I'm using my Sony A380 DSLR with 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm 4-5.6 and 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lenses for years, but the last 2 are cheap glass therefore chromatic aberration occurs quite a bit and they just aren't hitting the standards I need now.
However, I'm hoping to upgrade to a Canon 60D or 7D soon, but I'm having to wait it out at the moment as they're due to release replacements for those 2 so I'll see if the replacements are worth the extra money/buy one of those cameras at a reduced rate. I'm hoping to get a 35mm 1.8/1.4 lens as a basic walkabout lens with the camera instead of the kit lens in the box, then a 70-200mm f/4 zoom (cannot simply afford the f/2.8, well over a grand!) in a few months time, but as I said, having to wait until Canon finally release something before I can splurge (I also don't have the money at the moment, whoops!)
Unfortunately I can't really consider Nikon (I'd get a D7000 if I could) because their pro lenses are even more extortionate than Canon. It's a shame though, that camera is beautiful, but I wouldn't be able to afford anything I want to shoot with!

ah your images are great! it sucks how expensive cameras and equipment are..:unimpressed:
Original post by Silence_Will_Fal
2nd day in and I already wanna shoot myself :/

-hugs-
I like everyones academic resolutions :yy: feel like I should have some of my own tbh:
-Go to all my bloody lectures, just because I got away with it last year doesn't mean I will this year, especially as it actually counts.
-Stop being a wuss and go cycling with the cycling club, I know I'm good enough to keep up, need to stop being pathetic.
-Give hockey a go, I used to play for county until I broke my arm and I miss it :cry:
-Get internship sorted pretty quickly.
-Stop going into my overdraft when I have enough money to live on, I do not need more clothes/cycling apparel/posters/make up etc.
-Go to more socials, stop being a wuss and meet more people than the social group I made during freshers last year.
-Read more...not that this would be hard considering my lack of reading last year. Find a journal article relevant to every lecture and actually read it.
-Get a first again. And keep my 80%+ in microbiology.
-Stop buying food that I don't eat and then giving it to my flatmates. Such a dumbass.

Oh I am so excited but scared to be going back!
One of my 2nd year modules has now gone up on Blackboard and it looks like a massive step up from 1st year. 2nd year does count towards my degree but I'm really going to try hard to aim for a 1st so that I'm prepared when it does matter.
I'm still waiting for my courses to go up - I'm so excited to be going back to uni! I'm still waiting on my exam mark though, so I don't know for sure that I'll be doing advanced Latin and I also don't know what grade I got for second year.

I also want to know where my lectures are (I'm going to have to wait until my first lectures to find out who's leading each seminar though).

---

I've done some prelim reading for three modules today, just going to do some work for my dissertation (which at this stage is literally just thinking about what to do it on, with some light reading to help that process) and listen to a Latin podcast and I'm done for the day. :h:
I'm meeting my supervisor/personal tutor for the first time next Tuesday, to talk about my Dissertation and MA applications.

Oh god, I'm a final year student :afraid:
I'm going stationary shopping today! :excited: :dance: I'm so excited, it's a little bit ridiculous.
Original post by Historiana
I'm meeting my supervisor/personal tutor for the first time next Tuesday, to talk about my Dissertation and MA applications.

Oh god, I'm a final year student :afraid:

eep. good luck. Hope your dissy doesnt make you want to cry/ stress eat choc digestives.
I have no idea where first year went. It either flew, or just didnt exist.
I know second year is going to be harder, and i've read a couple of the chem primers off the reading list. The content is doing this weird, making sense,but not thing that it does. Admittedly, I've still got 8 lectures, 2 lots of tutorial problems (at least) on each topic before the exam, so it'll be fiiiiiine.

Original post by Pensivedore
I'm going stationary shopping today! :excited: :dance: I'm so excited, it's a little bit ridiculous.

Jealous!! I'm waiting until I get back before going mad in wilkos/ Paperchase/ the SU shop. I am so looking forward to this part though!
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending