The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
:rofl2: Synd for dig!

Tak. Min nye kæreste er engelsk (det er lettere!) :smile:
De zang der vogels <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
Not at all to the degree that it works for eg Maths, because the range of things covered in Maths papers is extremely limited. However, at A-Level, the range of stuff covered in a language is also going to be relatively limited. The difficulty of questions and the type of exercises in the papers will not vary much - it's useful to make sure you're comfortable with what they expect if they expect you to give 'short sentences' as answers etc and you can get that from past papers and mark schemes. Usually it's a tick-box kind of approach where they want to see certain words that show you understood the information and know what the answer is for that kind of thing. The amount of different things in grammar and vocabulary is also going to be limited at A-level. Just make sure you're confident with what you're expected to be able to do. If you're running out of things to do to prepare (and you're reasonably solid on grammar), going through all the past papers and checking your vocabulary is up to scratch is a good idea. If a word appears in a past paper, it might appear again in your exam. It's also always a good idea to prepare a brief essay plan for each of the past essay questions and a list of vocabulary you'd need to put your points across well in each, because as I said, the expected vocabulary is pretty limited.

Well, the fact that it's "relatively limited" helps, :biggrin: I'm going through the past papers like I did last year, to learn more words and reaffirm words that I already know. I planned to do a lot this extended weekend, then more writing practice, unfortunately I couldn't do much because I've caught a virus. ( Great timing body.) I hope I still have enough time to get the grade that I want, though. Thanks again!

I'll definitely try to do some essay plans and think of what verbs, etc I can put in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 583
Original post by Dominicque
Well, the fact that it's "relatively limited" helps, :biggrin: I'm going through the past papers like I did last year, to learn more words and reaffirm words that I already know. I planned to do a lot this extended weekend, then more writing practice, unfortunately I couldn't do much because I've caught a virus. ( Great timing body.) I hope I still have enough time to get the grade that I want, though. Thanks again!

I'll definitely try to do some essay plans and think of what verbs, etc I can put in.

I got my official 'summons' to the Danish exams by email today - the one on the 21st starts at 9am and finishes at 2:30pm. There is no mention of a food break. :afraid:
Original post by Ronove
I got my official 'summons' to the Danish exams by email today - the one on the 21st starts at 9am and finishes at 2:30pm. There is no mention of a food break. :afraid:

Held og lykke!
Reply 585
Original post by Pastaferian
Held og lykke!

Jo tak! :eek:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I've only seen fast-track A-level Spanish/Italian with people who've done French as well, though. It's the similarities.

It's a bit like how a Dutch person could do A-level German really easily... Hint, hint!

Alles ist jetzt in Ordnung! wooop :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
This is making my Spanish and french a levels feel boring haha, maybe I should try something else in my free time, any suggestions on how/ which language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex2424
This is making my Spanish and french a levels feel boring haha, maybe I should try something else in my free time, any suggestions on how/ which language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha all languages are exciting tbh! Not that many people study them in general...:tongue:

For you, Portuguese & Italian wouldn't be a long shot...unless you're brave enough to step out of the Latin family:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Original post by thatitootoo
Haha all languages are exciting tbh! Not that many people study them in general...:tongue:

For you, Portuguese & Italian wouldn't be a long shot...unless you're brave enough to step out of the Latin family:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also learnt Latin at gcse if that counts as slightly more obscure :smile: the problem being that i wouldn't want to get it confused, ie end up speaking Portuguese in my Spanish oral next year, I might try it though. Germanic languages really don't appeal to me, I like the romantic feel of french and Spanish :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also learnt Latin at gcse if that counts as slightly more obscure :smile: the problem being that i wouldn't want to get it confused, ie end up speaking Portuguese in my Spanish oral next year, I might try it though. Germanic languages really don't appeal to me, I like the romantic feel of french and Spanish :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's your opinion...:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
That's your opinion...:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, they just seem really aggressive to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Germanic languages suit the debate part of AQA A2 speaking exams, though! :smile:
Reply 593
Haha, they just seem really aggressive to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your perception of that point in particular would change quite a lot if you learnt them enough to be familiar with the sounds. But obviously no-one's forcing you to learn any of them if you don't want to (well, obviously everyone is forcing you to learn English but I doubt you mind that)!
Original post by Ronove
Your perception of that point in particular would change quite a lot if you learnt them enough to be familiar with the sounds. But obviously no-one's forcing you to learn any of them if you don't want to (well, obviously everyone is forcing you to learn English but I doubt you mind that)!
This is an excellent point. We're all speaking a Germanic language right now, but we feel able to communicated a full range of nuances and emotions from *why the **** is there dog **** outside my front door" to "let me help you".

(This said, I do spend some of my time being xenophobic and small-minded about the French, in wondering how one actually communicates displeasure in French.:ashamed2:)
This is an excellent point. We're all speaking a Germanic language right now, but we feel able to communicated a full range of nuances and emotions from *why the **** is there dog **** outside my front door" to "let me help you".

(This said, I do spend some of my time being xenophobic and small-minded about the French, in wondering how one actually communicates displeasure in French.:ashamed2:)

Haha I find that when you're speaking in a foreign language, you tend to remain polite! It's just so much easier! :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I think Germanic languages suit the debate part of AQA A2 speaking exams, though! :smile:

Ooh you're giving me ideas! I would just love to have a discussion about languages in my speaking exam! It's with the day to day conversation I'm most likely to f*ck up, but thankfully most of that will be over when I've completed the GCSE! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Ooh you're giving me ideas! I would just love to have a discussion about languages in my speaking exam! It's with the day to day conversation I'm most likely to f*ck up, but thankfully most of that will be over when I've completed the GCSE! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dream on, dude! You can debate in a Germanic language, but no linguistics discussions! * It wouldn't happen on AQA, anyway!

Two cultural topics, and a surprise stimulus card. You get presented with a choice of two, and you pick one to discuss.

I will not tell you what I had today, because that would infringe the exam discussion rules. The subjects are all drawn from the AQA textbook, and are thus r̶e̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ fairly similar each year, though. The full range is something like environment, (nuclear power); immigration and integration; social issues (prison sentencing); scientific ethics (genetic manipulation, space research).

*Now that I think about it, I did actually work in a comment on linguistic change in response to the card I picked, but it took effort and my occasionally, p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶u̶s̶, erm, unique way of seeing the world. :biggrin:
Dream on, dude! You can debate in a Germanic language, but no linguistics discussions! * It wouldn't happen on AQA, anyway!

Two cultural topics, and a surprise stimulus card. You get presented with a choice of two, and you pick one to discuss.

I will not tell you what I had today, because that would infringe the exam discussion rules. The subjects are all drawn from the AQA textbook, and are thus r̶e̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ fairly similar each year, though. The full range is something like environment, (nuclear power); immigration and integration; social issues (prison sentencing); scientific ethics (genetic manipulation, space research).

*Now that I think about it, I did actually work in a comment on linguistic change in response to the card I picked, but it took effort and my occasionally, p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶u̶s̶, erm, unique way of seeing the world. :biggrin:

Nawww :frown: wauw you just had your exam!?!
Ohh I thiught those 24 hour discussion rules only applied to edexcel exams :redface: Amyway I have a longggggg way to go before I can even start considering what my preferred cultural topic areas will be! xD I do like a surprise, as long as it's somewhere in the spec, and I could do adequate preparation 4 it! :wink:

haha I'm surprised to see that there are no unemployment / history sub-topics on AQA tho...but I guess the content between different exam boards are not always identifal :rolleyes:

Okk surely going "out of the box" will prove to be rewarding :wink: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Nawww :frown: wauw you just had your exam!?!
Ohh I thiught those 24 hour discussion rules only applied to edexcel exams :redface: Amyway I have a longggggg way to go before I can even start considering what my preferred cultural topic areas will be! xD I do like a surprise, as long as it's somewhere in the spec, and I could do adequate preparation 4 it! :wink:

haha I'm surprised to see that there are no unemployment / history sub-topics on AQA tho...but I guess the content between different exam boards are not always identifal :rolleyes:

Okk surely going "out of the box" will prove to be rewarding :wink: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't tell you about the speaking exam cards until everyone else in the country has definitely had theirs! Speaking exam season starts in April (for the epically well-prepared over-achievers among us!) to the last minute (next week, I think).

But you can look at some sample specimen cards, mods, specimens cards. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GERM4-W-SQP-07.PDF Or the ones from previous years.

The cultural topics aren't a surprise. You pick them, and prepare for them months in advance. You can do what the lecturer teaches in class, or choose your own two. (Generally best to consult a tutor though, in case you're making a choice that won't work well, and to check that you're planning answers that the examiners will like.)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending