The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
:rofl: and randomly dabbling in several foreign languages? hahah sounds good to me! :tongue:
Good :} So when do you get the exam results?

I get the results of my exams within a few minutes of coming out of the exam, I think. I think I get called back in and told what I got, after the examiner and the invigilator/moderator/whatever the person is called have discussed my performance and given me a grade. For Studieprøven I get the result of both listening and speaking just after the speaking exam that way.
Reply 981
I have done an A-level in Dutch which is my 2nd to native language...though I'm by no means fluent :rolleyes:

Since September, I have been studying German every so often...with the aim of eventually taking the language at A-level and perhaps taking my German studies leven further at uni!!?? :moon:

What language A-levels have you taken? && How are you finding them? :cool:

*This thread is open to discussion regarding all A-level Modern Foreign Languages related matters.

**This thread welcomes further foreign language learning.

I did GCSE Dutch ( I got an A*) but I don't know I there any point in doing A level after GCSE? I was born in Amsterdam so my Dutch Is fluent!
Original post by Ronove
I get the results of my exams within a few minutes of coming out of the exam, I think. I think I get called back in and told what I got, after the examiner and the invigilator/moderator/whatever the person is called have discussed my performance and given me a grade. For Studieprøven I get the result of both listening and speaking just after the speaking exam that way.

Minutes! :eek: That would swiftly put all of your suspence to rest! So I guess your only wait will be for Københavns to release this years GPA entry requirement / Get in touch with you? spannend! :tongue:
Original post by arfah
I did GCSE Dutch ( I got an A*) but I don't know I there any point in doing A level after GCSE? I was born in Amsterdam so my Dutch Is fluent!

Lucky! I really wish I was fluent in Dutch - that would, linguistically speaking, have given me a greater platfrorm when learning other languages! ^^

"born in Amsterdam" is not synonymous with being able to speak "fluent Dutch" by the way! :wink: But I'm guessing it's your first language then?

A-level Dutch is hard for me, but I was never a native Dutch speaker - moreover, I only got an average A at GCSE
Minutes! :eek: That would swiftly put all of your suspence to rest! So I guess your only wait will be for Københavns to release this years GPA entry requirement / Get in touch with you? spannend! :tongue:

Yep, the scores are all published on 30 July, and I presume I can log into the equivalent of UCAS or the Copenhagen Uni system that morning and see what the deal is as well. Just thinking about it makes me start to sweat a little bit...
Original post by Ronove
Yep, the scores are all published on 30 July, and I presume I can log into the equivalent of UCAS or the Copenhagen Uni system that morning and see what the deal is as well. Just thinking about it makes me start to sweat a little bit...

noch anderthalb Monate warten!! ooh :tongue:
Japanese. Got an 'A' grade. I'm not a native speaker but I'm half-japanese (ethnicity) I believe it's what you call a 'hereditary a-level'.
Original post by RayApparently
Japanese. Got an 'A' grade. I'm not a native speaker but I'm half-japanese (ethnicity) I believe it's what you call a 'hereditary a-level'.

Oh but there is no such thing as a 'hereditary A-level' every A-level will require some independent work on your own part :wink:

Did you grow up with *some* Japanese being spoken? :tongue:

noch anderthalb Monate warten!! ooh :tongue:

Entschuldigung, add an extra Monat; I hope my Fehler did not cause a shock. lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh but there is no such thing as a 'hereditary A-level' every A-level will require some independent work on your own part :wink:

Did you grow up in a English/Japanese bilingual environment though? :tongue:

Yes I did :smile: It was the talk of the school for a while.

wow thats cool, well done but are u fluent in it?
did u do it in school or have to do it outside because i asked my school if i could do gcse Hindi but they said they wouldnt and that i would have to pay for it if i wanted to.
Original post by HikariUchiha
wow thats cool, well done but are u fluent in it?
did u do it in school or have to do it outside because i asked my school if i could do gcse Hindi but they said they wouldnt and that i would have to pay for it if i wanted to.

I wouldn't say I'm perfectly fluent (as I don't speak it regularly anymore if someone asks me to translate a specific word I may find myself dumbfounded) but easily good enough for ordinary conversation.

My school was kind enough to facilitate the exams, even though Japanese isn't taught there. I remember sitting on my own in the exam hall doing the listening exam (this is GCSE) with headphones on whilst the Yr12s did Physics AS.

Too bad about your school - but if you think you can get a good grade its probably worth it - it's always nice to have an extra GCSE.
modern hebrew!
Yes I did :smile: It was the talk of the school for a while.

Ahh - and there I was feeling stupid for having asked that when you explicitly said that you're not a "native speaker" :rofl:

But it does make sense :yep: Similar to my situation with my "childhood home language" in fact, I couldn't classify myself as a native speaker of that language.

Talk of the school! Haha. was everyone just surprised to find out you could speak some other language? Or was it because Japanese is generally regarded as awesome? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I got an A* in Japanese at gcse
Now I'm doing the As exam on June 4th, anyone else on here doing it??
(I'm 100% English btw)
Original post by gideon123
modern hebrew!

Now that's a rare A-level!
What grade did you get? :cool:
well did it at gcse and got an A* but not the a level (even though i can speak fluently) - cos im gonna go to israel and take the 'bagrut' of hebrew (its the equivilent of the a level), so there was no point in having both qualifications :biggrin:
Reply 996

Good going. That's what I'm aiming for this summer! :redface:
Ahh - and there I was feeling stupid for having asked that when you explicitly said that you're not a "native speaker" :rofl:

But it does make sense :yep: Similar to my situation with my "childhood home language" in fact, I couldn't classify myself as a native speaker of that language.

Talk of the school! Haha. was everyone just surprised to find out you could speak some other language? Or was it because Japanese is generally regarded as awesome? :tongue:

Regarded as awesome I'd say. Lot's of Manga fans etc. in my school haha
Also it was quite early (went to a saturday school so had it down lol) so a lot of people were like 'woah!'.
Original post by BWCW
Good going. That's what I'm aiming for this summer! :redface:

Thanks - and good luck!
The problem with doing GCSEs/A Levels early is that you run the risk of Unis disregarding the hard work : (

I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending