The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vionar
I just googled it and apparently a Native American baby from like 12,000 years ago was found, and there was a full genome sequencing done on his DNA, which proves that Native Americans did have Siberian ancestors, so the theory is quite proven! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw that one! Confusing stuff...the whole history behind humanity is too confusing to even attempt to make any sense of this :lol: From my understanding, the First Nation tribes are diverse anyway - It's a collection of different ethnicities (that are all more related to each other than to any /other/ race), so it's harder to make generalisations regarding the origins of the entire NA population using just a single finding.

120000 years though :shock: Is that older than the fossils of 'Lucy' which were found in Africa? :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
I saw that one! Confusing stuff...the whole history behind humanity is too confusing to even attempt to make any sense of this :lol: From my understanding, the First Nation tribes are diverse anyway - It's a collection of different ethnicities (that are all more related to each other than to any /other/ race), so it's harder to make generalisations regarding the origins of the entire NA population using just a single finding.

120000 years though :shock: Is that older than the fossils of 'Lucy' which were found in Africa? :redface:

I know right, it's very complicated :redface:
Yeah, what I read is that like about a thousand years before the baby that has been found died, there were like the first people in North America and then they all started to move away from each other, genetically, so apparently this finding confirms that they're all related and are related to Siberian people, but not how the tribes spread out or how they moved across the continents.

You have one extra zero there! :tongue: I have no idea :redface:
Original post by Vionar
I know right, it's very complicated :redface:
Yeah, what I read is that like about a thousand years before the baby that has been found died, there were like the first people in North America and then they all started to move away from each other, genetically, so apparently this finding confirms that they're all related and are related to Siberian people, but not how the tribes spread out or how they moved across the continents.

You have one extra zero there! :tongue: I have no idea :redface:

So interessant! Oops, I meant 12000 obvs :wink: And a quick google search reveals that 'Lucy' predates this 'baby' by more than a million years!
So interessant! Oops, I meant 12000 obvs :wink: And a quick google search reveals that 'Lucy' predates this 'baby' by more than a million years!

Oh wow, Lucy is very very old :redface: I want them to find more babies and people of other ages from Native American tribes of thousands of years ago now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Oh wow, Lucy is very very old :redface: I want them to find more babies and people of other ages from Native American tribes of thousands of years ago now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: Have I just lured you deeper into the world of Archeology / Anthropology? ;D
:lol: Have I just lured you deeper into the world of Archeology / Anthropology? ;D

Not quite, it's interesting, but I'm not so enthralled by it that I have to research it more :mmm:
Original post by Vionar
Not quite, it's interesting, but I'm not so enthralled by it that I have to research it more :mmm:

^^
Original post by Pop_tart

USHI SAYS HAAAI XD love that, seen it so many times. Played by Wendy van Dijk, if you didn't know ^^

also, did you know you can watch Dutch TV for free online? :smile:

Hoe gaat het ermee? Ik mis onze gesprekken hier! :frown:
Original post by TheTechN1304
From when I was learning Russian (lol), "Ы" sounds like 'ui' (u+i together like the french word 'oui' but with a distinct oo sound first)

'и' is basically just a normal 'ee' sound.

For example, the russian word 'soap' (мыло) is pronounced 'mu-ee-la' The word 'sweet/dear' (мило) is pronounced 'mee-la' (which in Ukrainian means soap -- confusing stuff )

In terms of хорошо and женщина, ш is 'sh' and щ is a hard 'sh' (which is why people say it's pronounced shch).

женщина should be pronounced with a hard 'sh' sound, whereas хорошо is a more soft sound

And the difference between 'и' and 'й' is that 'и' is 'ee' and 'й' is 'ee-y'. You can definitely tell the difference between them. For example, the word русский (Russian) is pronounced 'ru-sk-eey'. If you take away the 'й', 'русски' is pronounced 'ru-ski' (with the same short 'i' sound as the 'i' in 'igloo')

What's the time in Japan? :wink:
Hoe gaat het ermee? Ik mis onze gesprekken hier! :frown:

Ja ik ben een beetje stil he! :O
Ja ik ben een beetje stil he! :O

Hehehe ik heb gemerkt dat soms als je heel goed luisterd, dan hoor je wel eens een "piep" van Pop_tart! xD Dat vind ik altijd zo'n mooie moment :wink:

Maar, serieus, hoe gaat het allemaal? Ben je nog van plan om met een andere studie te beginnen? Of heb je het al bezig genoeg? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hehehe ik heb gemerkt dat soms als je heel goed luisterd, dan hoor je wel eens een "piep" van Pop_tart! xD Dat vind ik altijd zo'n mooie moment :wink:

Maar, serieus, hoe gaat het allemaal? Ben je nog van plan om met een andere studie te beginnen? Of heb je het al bezig genoeg? :smile:

haha :tongue:

Het gaat goed hoor, allemaal z'n gangetje :smile: Ik begin in Januari met mijn masters! :biggrin: Zie er erg naar uit moet ik zeggen. Waar ben jij op dit moment mee bezig?
haha :tongue:

Het gaat goed hoor, allemaal z'n gangetje :smile: Ik begin in Januari met mijn masters! :biggrin: Zie er erg naar uit moet ik zeggen. Waar ben jij op dit moment mee bezig?

Ik ben blij om dat te horen :biggrin: oooh mooi hoor! Dat kan ik me wel voorstellen :smile: Och, je weet toch, ik doe niet zo veel :tongue: Maar ik wil wel mijn A-level in Duits afmaken dit jaar! =)
Ik ben blij om dat te horen :biggrin: oooh mooi hoor! Dat kan ik me wel voorstellen :smile: Och, je weet toch, ik doe niet zo veel :tongue: Maar ik wil wel mijn A-level in Duits afmaken dit jaar! =)

Ooh dat klinkt goed! :biggrin: Ik denk dat een tweede taal leren/kennen wordt sterk onderschat hier in het VK! :wink:
Ooh dat klinkt goed! :biggrin: Ik denk dat een tweede taal leren/kennen wordt sterk onderschat hier in het VK! :wink:

Dat is waar! :wink:
What's the time in Japan? :wink:

6:26am xD
Original post by TheTechN1304
6:26am xD

Hahaha I see that you can't even close your eyes over there! You must be having a grand time :lol:
Original post by Vionar
I just googled it and apparently a Native American baby from like 12,000 years ago was found, and there was a full genome sequencing done on his DNA, which proves that Native Americans did have Siberian ancestors, so the theory is quite proven! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reminds me of this guy, part of one of our recent Studieprøven past papers (reading) was on that project. :smile:
Hahaha I see that you can't even close your eyes over there! You must be having a grand time :lol:

Yes yes. Tis amazing!
Science is simply incredible! O.o

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending