Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Some advice for freshers next year...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by James A
yeah it went really well, her facial expressions were good and she was interested in my responses. and yeah i went in a room full of computers. very impressed actually. the teaching labs were very nice and the community pharmacy practice area. yeah met some really friendly people too!

Awesome:tongue:
When you get your offer, you firming Notts?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Jin3011
Awesome:tongue:
When you get your offer, you firming Notts?

yeah defo, depends how uea goes for my firm.
Reply 22
There's plenty of accommodation outside of the campus, both university owned and private, which are more up-to-standard.
The newer halls on UP are a rip off. Think of Hugh Stu, Cripps and Lincoln as BA-standard, the newer ones near the West Entrance as Ryanair.
Reply 24
Original post by yahyahyahs
The newer halls on UP are a rip off. Think of Hugh Stu, Cripps and Lincoln as BA-standard, the newer ones near the West Entrance as Ryanair.

Not really - depends what you want. I knew someone in Cripps. It was bloody awful over there- noisy and permanently messy.
Reply 25
Original post by James A
hi there! just had an interview/open day and i think i went to lenton and wartely. i loved it infact! definetly firming it for pharmacy if i get an offer!

i hope you do and good luck!! lenton and wortley is quiet nice too but my room is basically the size of a large single study with a double bed but i pay for a single study.. Its double the size of the single study i stayed in the first week in hugh stewart.

but I'm a bit bias.
Reply 26
Original post by olddad
Not really - depends what you want. I knew someone in Cripps. It was bloody awful over there- noisy and permanently messy.

Im in Cripps and it is definitely not noisy all the time. At times of the day (like before going it), it can be very noisy but so will any hall. Cripps is also divided into blocks so you only hear the noise from your block plus the courtyard instead of other halls where you get everyones noise.

I have never had a problem with noise. It could have been the people your friend lived with.

And my block is super clean and not permanently messy.

But it does depend on what you want as your living experience. if i lived in a hall where it was quiet all the time I would go crazy
Original post by Arpeggi
I dont think you could be any further than the truth in this. Sounds like someone had a bad experience and is trying to tell the world...

Ok, I'm in Ancaster and can assure you that everything you have said is exaggerated. My bathroom is perfectly fine, with a decent shower that you don't need to be under 5'11 to use (I'm 6'1 and have no problems). Maybe your room is depressing and boring if you leave it undecorated, but put up some pictures/posters and its fine. Regarding most beds being singles, I'm not sure about Cavandish but in Ancy I know that most of my mates all have doubles, with the odd exception (may I add that you will struggle to find any other hall on campus with a larger proportion of doubles to singles..)

Not as friendly as other halls? What is that supposed to mean? Sure, if you sit around in your rooms all day then trek it to dinner alone like many do than I can understand why you feel this way. Put yourself out there, and I cannot understand how you will struggle to make friends. The fact that the halls is catered allows for greater integration around meal times. You get to know most people in the hall this way as you are in constant contact with the entire hall population. I don't know what happened to you with the food being held back, as once a week I have my food held back and there's no problem whatsoever...

Whether or not a private bathroom is worth the extra money is not really for you to say, personally I'm willing to pay it.

Your point about the gym membership is ridiculous. Where else will you be able to find a place that gives you a years membership for £200 which includes access to swimming pools, squash and tennis courts and other sports facilities. Perhaps only at the top peak times might you experience sever overcrowding, I have yet to see every treadmill/rower/cross trainer/bike in use. Personally I prefer to go in the morning, and at 9am the gym is practically empty. I don't know what you mean by "They rope you in for an initial £200 fee (which you can't get out of)", it is by no means compulsory and there are different packages available - Bronze, Silver and Gold (with £200 being the most expensive option with full access to everything). Find me a 'better local option' which provides the same facilities as the Uni sports centre for £200 and I'll sign up there for next year.

My experience seems to be the complete opposite of yours, and its unfair to rant on here to potential students giving them false or poor advice based on your own unfortunate experiences. Any other questions regarding hall life/general uni, I'll be happy to answer.

I don't think the OP is being entirely unfair with their assessment. I applied for an en-suite and have also ended up at Ancaster. The showers are quite powerful due to the shower heads having a high pressure, compared to the one at home anyway. :tongue: However, it's true that the shower box is really small, as is the whole bathroom generally (and the bedroom for that matter); you can barely move your arms without hitting the sides.

As for meals, as far as I'm aware, you can order a packed lunch or dinner if you're going to be away during those times but you do have to give the catering staff at least 24 hours' notice. The food is alright though, not exactly 5* Michelin standard but it's edible and reasonable considering the number of people they have to serve every evening, and the portion sizes are generous; you get a choice of mains (usually 2 meat and 2 veg courses) which is served by the chef but the sides are self-service so you can have as much or as little as you want and there's also dessert, yoghurt and fruit in case that's not enough.

Can't really comment on gym membership as I haven't bought it myself; it seems a bit expensive (on top of everything else I'm paying for) :redface: ......and I'd much rather exercise for free by running up and down the stairs of the Medical School (because I'm a bit eccentric like that :tongue:) than pay the fee.

However, I do somewhat feel that I have been ripped off, to say the least. The accommodation isn't exactly cheap; it costs £184 per week to live here and it just isn't worth it when you consider the bathroom and bedroom size, the fire alarms set off in the middle of the night for a 'laugh' - there are rare, but still....... - having your meal times dictated by their serving times (which is as early as 5 - 6pm) at the weekend), and being woken up occasionally in the middle of the night by people coming back from a night out (the walls are very thin and the rooms at Ancaster have a corridor arrangement, so virtually any noise/conversation that takes place along the corridor is audible). Some of the complaints I have probably applies to other halls too but I'm with the OP in wishing that I'd done things differently.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by natty_d
I can solve your problems in one word: SPC.

Yes it is off campus but our bathrooms are much nicer (we do have ensuites but it feels worth it - like there's an actual shower cubicle instead of just the wetroom that some of the halls on Jubilee have). I haven't seen a UP ensuite so wouldn't know how to compare it.

It's self catered so food whenever you like - I know people who miss dinner quite a bit on UP or have to eat early so are starving by the time its time to go out.

The gym is free here.

:awesome:

I would also say to freshers don't be too put off by what he's saying - Nottingham is a great uni nonetheless!

I'm talking for UP catered. The UP ensuites are pretty much the same as yours as are the sizes of the rooms. You just don't realise how badly you've been ripped off until you see the catered single study / large single study rooms. Plus my main objection is the pricing, yours will be different as you're not catered. My room cost me £5700 for the year and I have to move my things out during the holidays (unless I want to pay £5 per day). The rooms in Cripps / Nightingale / Hugh Stu on the other hand cost £4400, and are anywhere from between 1/3 larger to twice as large as my room, with far higher ceilings, nicer furniture, double beds (or bigger) and in their 'shared' bathrooms they have showers they can actually use. With a sink in the corner of their rooms anyway (a larger one than I've got at that) it's taking the ****.
Original post by Jin3011
So what's the best room type to get in your opinion?

Large single study by a mile.
Reply 30
Original post by revisionnightmare

I'm talking for UP catered. The UP ensuites are pretty much the same as yours as are the sizes of the rooms. You just don't realise how badly you've been ripped off until you see the catered single study / large single study rooms. Plus my main objection is the pricing, yours will be different as you're not catered. My room cost me £5700 for the year and I have to move my things out during the holidays (unless I want to pay £5 per day). The rooms in Cripps / Nightingale / Hugh Stu on the other hand cost £4400, and are anywhere from between 1/3 larger to twice as large as my room, with far higher ceilings, nicer furniture, double beds (or bigger) and in their 'shared' bathrooms they have showers they can actually use. With a sink in the corner of their rooms anyway (a larger one than I've got at that) it's taking the ****.

My point is that you're painting a very negative picture. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted you but my post was to show freshers that there are alternatives to what you are saying if they don't want to go that way.
Reply 31

I see you're paying quite a hefty price £5700. Is this for a catered large study with en-suite?
What hall are you in at the moment and how are you finding it there? Sorry for all questions:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by olddad
All this is a bit sweeping. Son had an en suite in Rutland hall. They have a whole new block of en suites and his room was really nice if a little small. He certainly enjoyed it. And despite all the silly stories, Rutland is a good hall.

It's not sweeping when you compare it with the alternatives. If you see the rooms in Nightingale or Hugh Stu / Cripps you'll see what I mean. I was happy with what I had until I realised what else was on offer for far less money.
I would say this is applicable to most universities around the UK. Southampton is the same, the bathroom facilities in en-suite are cramped and the rooms are smaller as they have to fit in the ensuit into the room. The cost is also massively expensive for what it is. University gym is also massively crowded too.
OP does this apply to your uni or universities in general?
Original post by Arpeggi
I dont think you could be any further than the truth in this. Sounds like someone had a bad experience and is trying to tell the world...

Ok, I'm in Ancaster and can assure you that everything you have said is exaggerated. My bathroom is perfectly fine, with a decent shower that you don't need to be under 5'11 to use (I'm 6'1 and have no problems). Maybe your room is depressing and boring if you leave it undecorated, but put up some pictures/posters and its fine. Regarding most beds being singles, I'm not sure about Cavandish but in Ancy I know that most of my mates all have doubles, with the odd exception (may I add that you will struggle to find any other hall on campus with a larger proportion of doubles to singles..)

Not as friendly as other halls? What is that supposed to mean? Sure, if you sit around in your rooms all day then trek it to dinner alone like many do than I can understand why you feel this way. Put yourself out there, and I cannot understand how you will struggle to make friends. The fact that the halls is catered allows for greater integration around meal times. You get to know most people in the hall this way as you are in constant contact with the entire hall population. I don't know what happened to you with the food being held back, as once a week I have my food held back and there's no problem whatsoever...

Whether or not a private bathroom is worth the extra money is not really for you to say, personally I'm willing to pay it.

Your point about the gym membership is ridiculous. Where else will you be able to find a place that gives you a years membership for £200 which includes access to swimming pools, squash and tennis courts and other sports facilities. Perhaps only at the top peak times might you experience sever overcrowding, I have yet to see every treadmill/rower/cross trainer/bike in use. Personally I prefer to go in the morning, and at 9am the gym is practically empty. I don't know what you mean by "They rope you in for an initial £200 fee (which you can't get out of)", it is by no means compulsory and there are different packages available - Bronze, Silver and Gold (with £200 being the most expensive option with full access to everything). Find me a 'better local option' which provides the same facilities as the Uni sports centre for £200 and I'll sign up there for next year.

My experience seems to be the complete opposite of yours, and its unfair to rant on here to potential students giving them false or poor advice based on your own unfortunate experiences. Any other questions regarding hall life/general uni, I'll be happy to answer.

Firstly, my point regarding the hall's not being 'friendly' applies to certain members of staff in comparison to other halls, not the people themselves. I thought I made that relatively clear.

And secondly, as stated in my first post, the comparison is between our rooms and the ones in Nightingale, Cripps, Hugh Stu, Lenton etc, all which are over £1000 cheaper than ours.

Finally, I said that it's a rip off if you're only there to use the weights, and explained there were better options for less money - gym next to the tennis centre is better equpped at £21 a month, has far fewer people and you can freeze your membership during the holidays.
Reply 36

or single study if your in cripps (its basically a large single study but you pay single study prices)
Reply 37
Have any potential freshers thought of self catered en-suite at Broadgate Park? Not the cheapest (about £4.800 for year) but really nice, modern, clean rooms, smallish en-suite bathroom but functional & clean. Single beds with loads of storage & shelves in room. Large kitchens with all that you need to cook stuff.
Even if you're not good at cooking, there's a microvave to warm up some 'ping' meals. Self catered makes you feel more responsible for your meals which I suppose we're all going to have to get used to at some point imo. Having said that, It is nice to have your food handed to you.
Reply 38
Original post by KKK
Have any potential freshers thought of self catered en-suite at Broadgate Park? Not the cheapest (about £4.800 for year) but really nice, modern, clean rooms, smallish en-suite bathroom but functional & clean. Single beds with loads of storage & shelves in room. Large kitchens with all that you need to cook stuff.
Even if you're not good at cooking, there's a microvave to warm up some 'ping' meals. Self catered makes you feel more responsible for your meals which I suppose we're all going to have to get used to at some point imo. Having said that, It is nice to have your food handed to you.

I was thinking of this too as I'm also considering Broadgate Park. I think it's very expensive though at £115 a week with En Suite. I'm not sure if the loans can actually cover it!

EDIT - Holy **** I just realised your username..........
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
hey guys just wondering do foundation students participate in freshers? or is it only for first year students ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending