The Student Room Group

Do you need a Modern Foreign Language

I'm currently in year 11 and my grades are really good, I want to get into one of the Russel Group Universities but some people are saying that a Modern Foreign Language GCSE is needed and I don't have one. I thought that was only UCL, are other universities changing their requirements as well because it doesn't say anything about a Modern Foreign Language in the other Russel Group Universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by `God
I'm currently in year 11 and my grades are really good, I want to get into one of the Russel Group Universities but some people are saying that a Modern Foreign Language GCSE is needed and I don't have one. I thought that was only UCL, are other universities changing their requirements as well because it doesn't say anything about a Modern Foreign Language in the other Russel Group Universities.

UCL's the only one (so far) that wants a MFL at minimum Grade C at GCSE.

But it's good to take a language nonetheless - just for general awareness, I suppose.
Are MFLs beneficial when applying to any universities, or is only Russel Group unis?
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
UCL's the only one (so far) that wants a MFL at minimum Grade C at GCSE.

But it's good to take a language nonetheless - just for general awareness, I suppose.

Do you know any other universities that will be implementing that requirement?
Original post by `God
Do you know any other universities that will be implementing that requirement?

Nope, sorry :sad:
Reply 6
Original post by thegodofgod
Nope, sorry :sad:

Do you think that other uni's will do it? Because I'm currently in year 11 and as long as it isn't in the next 3 years I couldn't care less :biggrin:
Original post by `God
Do you think that other uni's will do it? Because I'm currently in year 11 and as long as it isn't in the next 3 years I couldn't care less :biggrin:

Probably not - I mean UCL introduced it when I was in year 10, for it to be introduced for 2012 entry applicants (i.e. the ones in year 13 right now), so in 3 years, I don't think much will happen.
MFLs are looked upon as good but I have never heard of people needing them (unless doing that course) or anyone getting rejected because they did not have one.
Reply 9
bump
Reply 10
If you want to do something like linguistics or some language-based subject then yes. Otherwise, no.

I mean what relevance does say, German, have to Maths.
Reply 11
bump
Reply 12
I know somebody who got into Oxford and they didn't have a language at GCSE - so it's possible. I think that a language would put somebody at an advantage, as would good a-level results and work experience.
you don't need it but it's one of those things which could be really helpful down the line
Reply 14
If there's any way you can possibly get a MFL to GCSE standard before applying to uni, I reccomend it. Given the competitiveness or the modern (and extremely international) world, having another language, even if its not specifically asked for, is an immediate bonus. It also illustrates your ability to learn. If its not practical, then concentrate in other areas as you're already fairly close to uni. I had to learn French and Spanish in school, and am now fluent and decent respectively, and although the lessons bored me to tears (until a certain stage was reached, then its just easy fun), I would never go back and unlearn them, as they've been a great help in many areas.
Reply 15
It depends on the course, it'll certainly be an advantage but you won't get rejected just because of that. If you want to do Sciences then it won't be AS vital. If the Sixth Form college you're applying has a GCSE language programme, then I'd almost certainly recommend it. I'm doing GCSE Italian when I go into Sixth Form next year alongside Maths, Further Maths, Spanish, and French :smile:
Reply 16
bump
I think it's only UCL for the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if that changed. MFLs are highly respected by universities and I would strongly recommend you studying at least one.
If you did apply to a uni that wanted one but you didn't know or they changed their policy after you did your GCSEs then part of a conditional offer could be to pass a language either before or during uni.
Reply 19
Original post by Rascacielos
I think it's only UCL for the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if that changed. MFLs are highly respected by universities and I would strongly recommend you studying at least one.

I think it will change as well, but UCL announced that they're making it a requirements years ago, so by the time I apply (currently in year 11) it won't count for me, hopefully. When do you think other universities will implement it if they do?

Quick Reply

Latest