The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm 5'11 and a size 14, and I wouldn't call myself fat. Sure it wouldn't hurt to lose some weight, but its impossible to name a certain clothes size as fat. It all depends on the shape of your body. I've got very broad shoulders and therefore have to buy some clothes in larger sizes, but other times I can wear size 12 or even 10.
Reply 61
Original post by redferry
To be honest I wouldn't call size 14 fat in most cases, at size 14 it is totally dependant on height
My mum used to be a size 14 at 5ft 8 (on the bottom anyhow) and she has never been fat, just wide hips.

However I think when you get to size 16, the majority of people will be carrying extra weight.

I totally agree especially since the average height for a UK woman is just under 5'4''
Surely even if you were 6ft10 you would not wear a 16 because it would be far too short, and far too wide too if you were thin?
I still think someone who is 6ft10 and a size 16 would look relatively large in all honesty, the fact of the matter is they would have to be pretty wide for it to fit them.

Google Amazon Eve, she stands 6ft8 or 6ft9 tall and her measurements are 38-40" bust, 29-31" waist, 40-42" hips which translates to a UK size 14/16 and she weighs 14-15 stone! And she is not fat in the slightest.
Depends on height and body shape.

Also sizes between stores and brands vary a great deal so there's no standardized "size 10", for example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by StressReliever
Google Amazon Eve, she stands 6ft8 or 6ft9 tall and her measurements are 38-40" bust, 29-31" waist, 40-42" hips which translates to a UK size 14/16 and she weighs 14-15 stone! And she is not fat in the slightest.

according to her facebook page she is dress size 12-14 long
So that would surely be a 14-16 in the UK?
Ie on the small end of a 16
And she does look big - she is very muscular!
Reply 65
Original post by headbands,

Original post by headbands,
Ive been reading a lot of posts on the student room about size ect, and it seems to me that if your a size 12-14 your classed as 'fat' or 'chubby' ! :/
I was just wondering at what size do you then class someone as fat?

We're always being beamed these 'ideal' images of women with large busts yet skinny frames. Males with 6 packs, muscular toned frames. But what is being 'fat'? What we deem socially fat or chemically fat? A clothes size we think is too large, or a BMI that shows someone is above the fat content they should be for their measurements? I really think it is a heavily social matter, a issue that we have constructed from the basic chemical nature of things, what we view natural and healthy and thus, what we perceive as a ideal healthy mate. So its led to things being weighed down with the size of clothes - and if 12-14 is fine or not; though it all depends on personal interpretation and what people perceive as being acceptable to them, along with whether it is chemically healthy. The dividing line between ok and not however, is a very grey area though it is easier to determine extremes suchas, someone who may be short and weigh 30 stone or someone who is tall and weights only 6 stone (so plus size and 0-2- very unhealthy for their measurements).
according to her facebook page she is dress size 12-14 long
So that would surely be a 14-16 in the UK?
Ie on the small end of a 16
And she does look big - she is very muscular!

She's big in terms of height and build, i.e. tall and broad build but the dress size and weight is perfectly proportionate to her height. You can't expect a woman of 6ft8 or 6ft9 to be wearing a size 10, she'd look like a rake!
Reply 67
She's big in terms of height and build, i.e. tall and broad build but the dress size and weight is perfectly proportionate to her height. You can't expect a woman of 6ft8 or 6ft9 to be wearing a size 10, she'd look like a rake!

Oh yeah I never said I expected her to be a ten!
Just said you'd have to be large (not necessarily fat) to be a 16.
Reply 68
Original post by Veronique:-)
My second post was merely requesting you to state this - what you believe to be *average*. You're now holding on to this figure as sole argument. Contradicting yourself since well, I had to get that figure out of you.
I'm a Bolivian woman of average height - 4'8, wearing clothes with a uk dress size.
OR
I'm a dutch woman of average height - 5'6.5, wearing clothes with a uk dress size.

NO. I DO NOT WEAR THE SAME DRESS, IT WILL NOT FIT.
so simple, really. If you're going to make judgement, in a public place, make sure it's concrete, or else you get the size 16/18/44/whatever-you'd-like-to-believe-I-am woman telling you how specific you'd need to stop your argument from sounding stupid :smile: . Never said you were wrong. Just.PLEASE.accept.that.there.are.specific.things.to.take.into.account.to.have.an.accurate.judgement.
All I asked for, idk why it's got to be such a problem, it's simple logic.
about to *jog on*, so farewell.

Except this is a British forum, using British sizes, the implication being that it regarded British women.

:facepalm:
Reply 69
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Yes, you are definitely allowed your own opinion. :smile:

However, I don't think you need to be rude and aggressive when posting it, doesn't really add to your argument at all. Do you like trying to offend/ upsetting people or something?

I would take your opinion more seriously, if you construed it in a calm and constructive way, rather than saying 'Deal with it' 'Don't like that?' ect. You just sound like an immature boy that, rather than calmly stating his opinion like any adult would do, would rather resort to petty remarks for no discernible reason, than perhaps to make himself feel good.

Just my opinion. :smile:

I'm sorry I got a little heated, but it was in response to someone who's criticsm was totally unwarrented, who missed the point of the thread and was being a dreadful pedant.
Oh yeah I never said I expected her to be a ten!
Just said you'd have to be large (not necessarily fat) to be a 16.

Well yeah large in build, but that goes hand in hand with her tall stature. But for her height she is perfectly proportionate.
Reply 71
Original post by Veronique:-)

This girl is a size 14/16. How on earth is she fat? Depends on height.
when I was a 10 a couple of years ago, because of my height people claimed I was underweight. My best friend is an 10 too but barely 5 feet and she's been called chubby a few times.
It's ridiculous, really.
This society is messed up, i say GOD BLESS FOOD.
eating is amazing, let's face it :wink:

love whitney from ANTM!!! my favourite winner!
Reply 72
Well yeah large in build, but that goes hand in hand with her tall stature. But for her height she is perfectly proportionate.

Still pretty hench though, look at those guns:

Reply 73
I'm whiskers off 6ft tall, and a size 16 (on average, I have everything from a 12 to an 18 in my wardrobe).

I could possibly afford to drop to a 14 but any smaller than that and I look unwell, that's just how i'm built. I also prefer to stay at my current size because of my modelling career, and the size I am now works best with the majority of sample clothes for plus size fashion.

I don't care what size clothes I have to buy so long as I stay toned and healthy
Still pretty hench though, look at those guns:

I think she looks hot :tongue:
Reply 75
I think she looks hot :tongue:

Never said hench was a bad thing! :smile:
lol if only more people where like u
Every girl has a different body shape,and structure so imo it's practically impossible to pick a size.

Sometimes people wear large t-shirts cause they have bigger chestickles, same thing applies for hips and stuff, so idk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right so im 5"7 and I have quite broad sholders so I have to wear clothes that are size 14-18 how does that make me fat or chubby? Im not being funny but people need to understand sometimes and stop giving people such unrealistic expectations... a plus size model is size 12-14 so what does that make them? Fat? No exactly you dont have to be a size 4-10 to look pretty or to not be fat as many people have said on here it depends on height yes that is true but everyone is going by what magazines think and what modelling agencys also think... wheb it comes to buying clothes online plus size atarts from 18+ not size 12! The world today is so harsh on women and men to be "perfect" under the standards of a flat stomach collar bones showing hip bones showing... you see to me everyone is trying to force everyone to be anorexic just so they are pretty enough and just so they can be happy but actually half the people I know that ate classed as anorexic aren't happy with how they look and after all men im on about REAL men dont like to sleep with a stick they prefer to sleep with woman that are of the bigger variety! So I must conclude my rant no one canvlass you as fat or chubby just because your a size 16... size doesn't matter! When will people get that into their heads?!?
Im size 12-14 im 5

Latest