The Student Room Group

Where can Psychology take me?

I'm starting to think I've chosen the wrong degree. I've always been interested in the objective, biological side of how people work, and so I assumed psychology was the degree for me. Neurobiology recently sounded very interesting for me, I loved the idea of learning how to treat people who had experienced strokes or have Alzheimer's Disease. I've realised medicine may have been the best choice for me though... I was looking at it and it seems for neurobiology you need a medical degree, which of course is understandable.

What kind of areas can psychology take me to where I can pursue something like this? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

You could apply for grad med
Original post by RobertWhite

I'm starting to think I've chosen the wrong degree. I've always been interested in the objective, biological side of how people work, and so I assumed psychology was the degree for me. Neurobiology recently sounded very interesting for me, I loved the idea of learning how to treat people who had experienced strokes or have Alzheimer's Disease. I've realised medicine may have been the best choice for me though... I was looking at it and it seems for neurobiology you need a medical degree, which of course is understandable.

What kind of areas can psychology take me to where I can pursue something like this? :s-smilie:

Do a MSc in Neuroscience :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Revd. Mike
Do a MSc in Neuroscience :smile:

Can I move into neuroscience that way?

Where can that take me, if you know what I mean, career wise? Research in neurobiology etc?

Can I move into neuroscience that way?

Where can that take me, if you know what I mean, career wise? Research in neurobiology etc?

Absolutely. The majority of our MSc Neuroscience students at work came from Psychology BScs. From there you could go onto research work in neurobiology, or a PhD etc.
Reply 5
Absolutely. The majority of our MSc Neuroscience students at work came from Psychology BScs. From there you could go onto research work in neurobiology, or a PhD etc.

That's awesome you've made me much happier about where my degree can take me. Do you mind just listing the kind of research neurobiologists might do just to clarify what I think it is?

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

That's awesome you've made me much happier about where my degree can take me. Do you mind just listing the kind of research neurobiologists might do just to clarify what I think it is?

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

The neurobiologists in our department have quite a diverse array of projects going, mostly they work on characterizing the molecular mechanisms involved in neural stem cell differentiation, both in general and also in application to specific diseases. They're also working on characterizing neuronal and glial cell functions in various diseases, such as Alzheimer's etc.
Reply 7
The neurobiologists in our department have quite a diverse array of projects going, mostly they work on characterizing the molecular mechanisms involved in neural stem cell differentiation, both in general and also in application to specific diseases. They're also working on characterizing neuronal and glial cell functions in various diseases, such as Alzheimer's etc.

Thanks so much for your help :smile:
No problem, best of luck :h:
I'm starting to think I've chosen the wrong degree. I've always been interested in the objective, biological side of how people work, and so I assumed psychology was the degree for me. Neurobiology recently sounded very interesting for me, I loved the idea of learning how to treat people who had experienced strokes or have Alzheimer's Disease. I've realised medicine may have been the best choice for me though...

I know that feel exactly, bro. You can apply for graduate entry medicine (4yr) with a psych degree though.

Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if you could help me too. I'm interested in doing a MSc in Neuroscience but unsure what work experience I may need for this and what kind of job it can help me get into it and whether further training is needed to get a job in the relavent areas?
Original post by Nightstar-27

Original post by Nightstar-27
Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if you could help me too. I'm interested in doing a MSc in Neuroscience but unsure what work experience I may need for this and what kind of job it can help me get into it and whether further training is needed to get a job in the relavent areas?

I don't think work experience is strictly necessary for MSc applications, although if you can get a bit of lab work that certainly wouldn't hurt. It's quite surprising actually just how many of our students start their projects having never set foot in the lab before.

As for jobs it can help you get, it makes it easier to get research tech/assistant jobs in academic research or jobs in industry. It'll also make it easier to get on a PhD later if you decide to do one. With regards to further training, it depends on the sort of job you want to do. If you want to progress with a research career then a PhD is usually the way to go.
Reply 12
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I know that feel exactly, bro. You can apply for graduate entry medicine (4yr) with a psych degree though.

I wouldn't mind doing that but it's just so much education. No doubt after the extra four years I imagine I'd still need more education.
I wouldn't mind doing that but it's just so much education. No doubt after the extra four years I imagine I'd still need more education.

Yes, but it's on the job training. So you would be working as a qualified doctor being trained and paid while you work.
Reply 14
Yes, but it's on the job training. So you would be working as a qualified doctor being trained and paid while you work.

Cool, thanks ^^

Cool, thanks ^^

It is important to note though that a medical degree is by no means a pre-req for working in research, if that's where your interests lie.
Reply 16
It is important to note though that a medical degree is by no means a pre-req for working in research, if that's where your interests lie.

I said in another post:

If I go into neurobiology from Psychology could I get a job in pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies where I may work to develop new products for neurological or psychiatric problems?

I've been researching around a bit and apparently you need a degree from any biology related subject, a Ph.D (4-8 years of graduate school), and typically a 3-5 year postdoctoral position.

Do you have any idea whether this is right? This is where my main interest lies.
Reply 17

Just a quick question Godspeed (sorry for going slightly off topic op!) but do you need Chem/Bio A-Levels to do grad medicine? I'm doing a NHS practitioner training programme degree atm, but don't actually have Chem or Bio at A-Level-would this mean grad medicine for me is impossible? Cheers.
Original post by fnm
Just a quick question Godspeed (sorry for going slightly off topic op!) but do you need Chem/Bio A-Levels to do grad medicine? I'm doing a NHS practitioner training programme degree atm, but don't actually have Chem or Bio at A-Level-would this mean grad medicine for me is impossible? Cheers.

I had neither, so yes.

I said in another post:

If I go into neurobiology from Psychology could I get a job in pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies where I may work to develop new products for neurological or psychiatric problems?

I've been researching around a bit and apparently you need a degree from any biology related subject, a Ph.D (4-8 years of graduate school), and typically a 3-5 year postdoctoral position.

Do you have any idea whether this is right? This is where my main interest lies.

It depends on the sort of position you'd be looking for really. There are plenty of entry level positions that a BSc or MSc could get you into easily, although for more advanced positions a PhD is preferable, usually with post-doc experience.

Also, it's rare for a PhD to take more than 4 years, unless you're doing it part time. 3-4 is typical.

Quick Reply

Latest