The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paramore<3
Is anyone applying to any summer schools that universities run in the holidays?

I'm thinking of the UCL and/or Cambridge ones - they look quite interesting (the Cambridge one falls on results day though... :mad:)

What are they? Could you please explain?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Yes I am. What is tutor2u?

It's quite a good website for having a look at some of the AS/A2 Economics course.
Original post by usycool1
It's quite a good website for having a look at some of the AS/A2 Economics course.

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow, Im tired now lol
Original post by iJess
Aw we did work experience in year 10 :P My summer exams are from may - june only and I have maths resit for edexcel (linear) 2nd and 5th march & Child development exam on 6th march

I see you said you are resitting the Edexcel maths exam in March, I understand that this is the last maths exam they will be holding for the old specification, do you think once you have taken the exam you can tell me how it went? I was eager to enter for it but didn't have the money to enter externally so i'll be sitting the new spec in June.

Reply 444
What are they? Could you please explain?

I'm not too sure what they entail, but I think the general idea is to give pupils from ~disadvantaged backgrounds~ (I hate that term) an idea of what university is like, and encourage them to apply. So I think they run sort of lectures and you do group work in whatever subject area you choose. On the residential ones I think you stay in halls as well. They sound quite interesting, worth applying anyway I suppose!
Just got back from the hairdressers. I wanted a big sweeping side fringe to hide my monster forehead. What do I get? Some vile "thing" down the side of my face. I shouldn't have bothered...
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Nor do we...What board are you on? Most of my subjects are AQA, and you can find out the exam timetable on their website..

Our school is leaving the first two weeks of July for work experience. And we have prom in between which is really annoying :angry:

I'm planning to get a job too, but it's actually so difficult to find a seasonal job!

Thanks, I found the exam timetables for Edexcel, AQA and OCR, my exams are spread over those boards. I've compiled a list of my exams...

First Exam: 16th/May
Last Exam: 27th/June

We leave in May sometime as study leave, but that's it, we only come back for exams. Our prom is the 10th/July I think.. my parents are planning to go on holiday in July to avoid peak holiday times!

Then I'll get a job, work through most of July and August!
Original post by usycool1
I'm with OCR :smile: Do you do Economics? What exam board are you with?

I did unit 1 last year (How the market works) and scored an A. I hope I score an A* overall, though.

Yeah, I do Economics too! With OCR!
We did the first unit last June but I failed a got a C, so i'll have to re-take it this summer!

Are you going to take it next year too? :smile:
Original post by Al-Roubaie
I see you said you are resitting the Edexcel maths exam in March, I understand that this is the last maths exam they will be holding for the old specification, do you think once you have taken the exam you can tell me how it went? I was eager to enter for it but didn't have the money to enter externally so i'll be sitting the new spec in June.

Child Development? Hey Mickey, Hey, Hey, Hey Mickey!
Original post by American Vampire
Child Development? Hey Mickey, Hey, Hey, Hey Mickey!

Oi, no patronizing people on their choices.

You tell em!:wink:
Reply 451
Hey people :biggrin:
Reply 452
I guess something to look forward to after exams is prom ! :smile:
Reply 453
Original post by Jen1996
I guess something to look forward to after exams is prom ! :smile:

I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Spoiler

Original post by PrinceUpsb
Thanks, I found the exam timetables for Edexcel, AQA and OCR, my exams are spread over those boards. I've compiled a list of my exams...

First Exam: 16th/May
Last Exam: 27th/June

We leave in May sometime as study leave, but that's it, we only come back for exams. Our prom is the 10th/July I think.. my parents are planning to go on holiday in July to avoid peak holiday times!

Then I'll get a job, work through most of July and August!

Good!

Ah, my first exam is 14th May and last exam is 16th of June! So all the exams, in a space of just one month! :eek:
Reply 455
Original post by Pandora.
Just got back from the hairdressers. I wanted a big sweeping side fringe to hide my monster forehead. What do I get? Some vile "thing" down the side of my face. I shouldn't have bothered...

Pictures or it didn't happen haha!

Also, hey guys, I'm back from my holiday, how are we all?
Reply 456
A.S. Level Debate which one's better? French, Politics or Music? :P :biggrin:

Not patronizing, mocking actually. But I'm sorry anyway. I just don't understand why people choose subjects like that and Law when they're ridiculously superficial at GCSE level.
Reply 458
Original post by American Vampire
Not patronizing, mocking actually. But I'm sorry anyway. I just don't understand why people choose subjects like that and Law when they're ridiculously superficial at GCSE level.

Well now you're just being condescending.

You're not the one taking the subjects in question, and provided as the person think it's the right choice for them, or that they're interested, whatever, what gives you the right to think you know better exactly?

Heck, you could apply that reasoning of yours to any subject. Guess what guys; no need to need to take triple sciences, they're all superficial compared to a degree or A-level so therefore they're pointless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 459
Original post by toreilly102
A.S. Level Debate which one's better? French, Politics or Music? :P :biggrin:

If you've got the theory behind you, then music can be a good choice.

Politics is nice, but I'd take History instead perhaps.

French is a good solid subject; any language at A-level tends to be well regarded, but they're a giant step up.

If you think you can handle French, go with French. :wink:

Latest