The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yugiohtheawesome
No sorry. I love your profile pic though :biggrin:

Lol Thanks :smile:
Original post by usycool1
For the last one, you can work out the perimeter of each shape by adding each length of the sides together. Then, you would use an inequality to find the range of values.

Say if the square had sides of length x, and the rectangle had length x+2 and width 2x, and it tells you the perimeter of the rectangle is less than the perimeter of the square.

This is what you do:
Perimeter of rectangle = 2(x+2) + 2(2x) = 2x+4+4x = 6x + 4
Perimeter of square = 4x

Perimeter of rectangle < Perimeter of Square
6x + 4 < 4x
4 < -2x
-2 < x

(And just to let you know, the answer to this is kind of weird as you could have a negative length :tongue: )

Make sense? :tongue:

I've written this very quickly, so if anyone spots any errors, let me know :smile:
As yes it does! I'll have a go now, thanks. :smile::smile:

EDIT: Wait - I don't get how in your example, the perimeter of the rectangle is less than that of the square? :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Wow your english teacher sounds great! :biggrin: I thank god that I actually have a decent english teacher who actually knows how to teach. Which is quite rare nowadays :s-smilie:

Yeah you should do those quote pages cause trust me they work! Go through past questions too. I don't think my house has enough rooms for all the themes and characters for both books. :tongue:

I've only got one R.S exam :biggrin: I've got two philosophy ones though which is basically another R.S exam :/

What did you get for the english language paper in January? I'm so confused about how we're supposed to structure letters and articles and the different tones we have to use for them. :frown:

I was really ill on the english lang paper and I nearly left during the middle but forced myself to try and finish. Literally I was almost in tears I was so ill. But I got 2 B'S :biggrin: Writing was one of an A I think. I am RESITTING it to get A*'s :wink:

I just keep writing for different purposes and give them to my teacher to mark; if there is one thing she is amazing at it is she always wants to mark things and she does it well. She always says where to improve and what to do next time. Just do tones. My teacher says for letter have Intro, 1 angle, 2 angle, 3 angle, Conclusion. Always mention other points of view. Like RS; I think that x but I know some people think Z but x is better because a y. (If you're doing persuasion texts).

-looks through English book- She also says to remember for Lang you will either have to write in these styles;

Informative
Persuasive
Argument
Original post by Pandora.
As yes it does! I'll have a go now, thanks. :smile::smile:

EDIT: Wait - I don't get how in your example, the perimeter of the rectangle is less than that of the square? :redface:

Yeah, my example is quite bad. It shouldn't be less but I just did it quickly. Sorry, just ignore my example :tongue:
Yeah, my example is quite bad. It shouldn't be less but I just did it quickly. Sorry, just ignore my example :tongue:
Ah right, I see :biggrin: Other than that I understand what you did, thanks :smile:
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
-looks through English book- She also says to remember for Lang you will either have to write in these styles;

Informative
Persuasive
Argument
Is this for AQA? :smile:
I was really ill on the english lang paper and I nearly left during the middle but forced myself to try and finish. Literally I was almost in tears I was so ill. But I got 2 B'S :biggrin: Writing was one of an A I think. I am RESITTING it to get A*'s :wink:

I just keep writing for different purposes and give them to my teacher to mark; if there is one thing she is amazing at it is she always wants to mark things and she does it well. She always says where to improve and what to do next time. Just do tones. My teacher says for letter have Intro, 1 angle, 2 angle, 3 angle, Conclusion. Always mention other points of view. Like RS; I think that x but I know some people think Z but x is better because a y. (If you're doing persuasion texts).

Informative
Persuasive
Argument

Poor you :frown: I would have commited suicide if I was ill on a day of an exam :frown:
Thanks I think I'll give some stuff for my teacher to mark. But I was thinking if you were writing a letter to an editor it would have to be formal obviously but could you use sarcasm and humour? The same with articles, can you use sarcasm and humour too? I've got the types of writing down to a T it's just knowing in which type of media to use them in eg letter, newspaper, leaflet. Oh god someone just shoot me now :colone:
Ah right, I see :biggrin: Other than that I understand what you did, thanks :smile:

Ok good, I'm sorry about that :tongue:
Ok good, I'm sorry about that :tongue:
:facepalm: I completely missed the line in the question stating clearly that the perimeter of the rectangle was less than the square. Forget about it, my bad! :biggrin:
Reply 5949

Questions:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Answers:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

:facepalm: I completely missed the line in the question stating clearly that the perimeter of the rectangle was less than the square. Forget about it, my bad! :biggrin:

Oh right haha lol! It's OK, I also forgot that I had written that :tongue:
Original post by Cubic
Questions:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Answers:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Aah, you're a legend! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thanks so much! :smile:

Question 1 makes sense when you put it like that. I over complicate things :colondollar:

As for question 2, yeah that's what's on the exam paper - but I had the same reaction when I read it! I'll just leave it. :smile:

And thanks for question 3, that confirms what I got! :smile:

I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer to remind me to give you rep for all this. :smile:
Is this for AQA? :smile:

OCR I think :smile:
OCR I think :smile:
Ah ok, never mind. :smile:
Poor you :frown: I would have commited suicide if I was ill on a day of an exam :frown:
Thanks I think I'll give some stuff for my teacher to mark. But I was thinking if you were writing a letter to an editor it would have to be formal obviously but could you use sarcasm and humour? The same with articles, can you use sarcasm and humour too? I've got the types of writing down to a T it's just knowing in which type of media to use them in eg letter, newspaper, leaflet. Oh god someone just shoot me now :colone:

It is all to do with subject and audience! For letter you could be writing to your grandma saying thank you for your birthday present or you might be writing to someone in your company and firing them. For the first one you could be casual and use humour but for the second one you would have to be serious etc.
It is all to do with subject and audience! For letter you could be writing to your grandma saying thank you for your birthday present or you might be writing to someone in your company and firing them. For the first one you could be casual and use humour but for the second one you would have to be serious etc.

What if you were writing a letter to the editor of a newspaper about your views on a new supermarket being built in your community? Sorry for all the questions :frown: And what if you writing an article about tv?
I have to learn quotes for those books too! Are you on WJEC as well? I actually HATE cormier for writing Heroes. It's such a crap book. Don't even get me started on that ground breakingly amazing ending either. I think Larry LaSalle is hot though :colondollar: I did of mice and men and poetry in January and got an A* for that so I just gotta do well in this damn lit exam :/

Same! In my 'Of Mice and Men' I got an A* too! All my teacher went on about every lesson was Curley's wife x__x Our class have sworn her never to mention any characters or the title of the book again.

Oh my gosh yes the ending in Heroes!! WOW. SUCH A CLIFF-HANGED <sarcasm> I feel it was an OK book; in fact I might have enjoyed it if it wasn't forced upon me. An Inspector Calls was good my school went to see it in Cardiff it was amazing! Apart from annoying people in my school heckling... :frown:

How are you revising quotes?! I think I will make post-it notes and place them everywhere so they will stick in my head (no pun intended)

Have you done a reading exam about a cyclist?! O_O

Hey I am doing WJEC English and I have both english lit exams this May; 22nd and 24th

For the Of Mice and Men and Unseen Poetry exam could you guys help me on a few things?

Here are a couple of questions that I could do with answering:
- Do you have to write the quotes word to word from the book - so can you make some up if they sound alright, rather than memorise a whole bunch?
-How many points did you write for the extract question?
- For the OMAM question the 20 mark one; what were the two options?
-How long was your unseen poetry essay - How many points did you cover
-Did you integrate both poems
-Did you plan your structure of your essay before hand- like what to say in each paragraph?

I would be much obliged if you could answer these questions with as much detail as possible.

And if you need any help though I do doubt you will, I can help with the English Language exams since I did them both last year. If you are interested I got AA (34/40 in both) which may not be good enough for you lot with your A*s hehe
(edited 12 years ago)
Aah, you're a legend! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thanks so much! :smile:

Question 1 makes sense when you put it like that. I over complicate things :colondollar:

As for question 2, yeah that's what's on the exam paper - but I had the same reaction when I read it! I'll just leave it. :smile:

And thanks for question 3, that confirms what I got! :smile:

I'll have to put a sticky note on my computer to remind me to give you rep for all this. :smile:

For number 2 I would say x=4 but it does look very odd. Have you got a link to these questions or maybe take a picture of the question and upload it so maybe then we would understand it?
Original post by GreenLantern1
Hey I am doing WJEC English and I have both english lit exams this May; 22nd and 24th

For the Of Mice and Men and Unseen Poetry exam could you guys help me on a few things?

- Do you have to write the quotes word to word from the book - so can you make some up if they sound alright, rather than memorise a whole bunch?
-Did you plan your structure of your essay before hand- like what to say in each paragraph?

I would be much obliged if you could answer these questions with as much detail as possible.

And if you need any help though I do doubt you will, I can help with the English Language exams since I did them both last year. If you are interested I got AA (34/40 in both) which may not be good enough for you lot with your A*s hehe

Hey :smile: I'll help with literature questions if I can.
1) You don't have to memorise them word for word, but you have to get the general gist of the actual phrase. Off the top of my head I think there was a quote that went like 'the silence came out of the night and invaded the room'. If you put 'the silence came out of the night, invading the room' it would be ok because you would have the general gist of the quote. However I'd try and memorise the full quote rather than making it up as you can analyse the effects of the words better if that makes sense?
2) For the extract question my teacher told us to spend 10 minutes max on it and then move on to the essay question. I think I made like 12 points and wrote a page and a quarter. Try and make as many points as you can because the more points the more marks you'll get :biggrin:
3) I think the first question for the essay was: 'imagine you are Slim and write from his point of view' or something like that. The second question was: 'How does Steinbeck present the theme of friendship in the novel?' I LOVED that question :biggrin:
4) My poetry essay was like 7 pages :smile: My hand was about to drop off at the end of it lol. I didn't count the points I just tried to make as many as I could in the time I had. If I had to guess I would think I made ten points for each poem?
5) My teacher told us to integrate the poems, so I would comment on the theme in one poem and then compare it with the other one. Comparisons between the two poems make up quite a bit of the poetry marks.
6) For the of mice and men essay about friendship I gathered together quotes and then put them into three groups. So in my essay I would have three sections to talk about with specific quotes for each group. IT WORKS :biggrin: I didn't plan for the poetry though cause I thought it would be pointless

Lol is that enough detail? :tongue:
Original post by GreenLantern1

Wow lots of questions there! Ok right here I go...

-For OMAM when I did it we were still allowed the books at the time but for my upcoming ones (Heroes and Inspector Calls) I don't think it matters if you get a word or two wrong. Paraphrase. It would be good to learn a few solid ones or key ones. As my friend here said; write down different themes you think will come up and then write a handful of quotes for each. But I'm sure in my RS I didn't quote the Bible totally accurate but I still got A* :-)
-For the extract questions I basically just wrote down points as they came to me; I went along; noticed something and then wrote about it. I think that is (10) so I wrote 10 points at least.
-Two options were roughly... (though I can't remember 100% it was a while ago)

Write about how the character George develops through the novel OMAM?

&

How does Steinbeck portray the theme of I think it was either something do with loneliness or hopes/dreams... I seriously can not remember deeply sorry.

-My poetry essay wasn't as long as the OMAM because I was running out of time in fact I didn't finish it as well as I wanted I stopped mid-sentence maybe 2 pages and a half.
-I think I described each poem individually and then compared them afterwards; how they each portrayed the subject.
-I did not play I think I might have underlined some things with my pen in the extract and poems to make note that I should mention those things but that was about it.

HOPE THIS HEELPS ~

Latest