The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Wow lots of questions there! Ok right here I go...

-For OMAM when I did it we were still allowed the books at the time but for my upcoming ones (Heroes and Inspector Calls) I don't think it matters if you get a word or two wrong. Paraphrase. It would be good to learn a few solid ones or key ones. As my friend here said; write down different themes you think will come up and then write a handful of quotes for each. But I'm sure in my RS I didn't quote the Bible totally accurate but I still got A* :-)
-For the extract questions I basically just wrote down points as they came to me; I went along; noticed something and then wrote about it. I think that is (10) so I wrote 10 points at least.
-Two options were roughly... (though I can't remember 100% it was a while ago)

Write about how the character George develops through the novel OMAM?

&

How does Steinbeck portray the theme of I think it was either something do with loneliness or hopes/dreams... I seriously can not remember deeply sorry.

-My poetry essay wasn't as long as the OMAM because I was running out of time in fact I didn't finish it as well as I wanted I stopped mid-sentence maybe 2 pages and a half.
-I think I described each poem individually and then compared them afterwards; how they each portrayed the subject.
-I did not play I think I might have underlined some things with my pen in the extract and poems to make note that I should mention those things but that was about it.

HOPE THIS HEELPS ~

Lol I think me and you have GreenLantern1 enough to think about :biggrin:
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
What if you were writing a letter to the editor of a newspaper about your views on a new supermarket being built in your community? Sorry for all the questions :frown: And what if you writing an article about tv?

Well you those both sound really serious. The supermarket seems like you'd using persuasive writing and argument. Just make points, talk about how someone would disagree with that point, then counter it. For tv, it depends if you're being a fan or a critic; a fan might babble on about how awesome it is and use humour but a critic would be more technical! :biggrin: This OK?
Well you those both sound really serious. The supermarket seems like you'd using persuasive writing and argument. Just make points, talk about how someone would disagree with that point, then counter it. For tv, it depends if you're being a fan or a critic; a fan might babble on about how awesome it is and use humour but a critic would be more technical! :biggrin: This OK?

Thanks :biggrin: Back to pounding my head on my English folder and comfort eating lots of penguin biscuits and ready salted crisps
Thanks :biggrin: Back to pounding my head on my English folder and comfort eating lots of penguin biscuits and ready salted crisps

Yeah I have got to do these 2 chemistry past-papers for tomorrow! FOCUS. Need more tea! :tongue: Good luck to you!!! We can do it.
Yeah I have got to do these 2 chemistry past-papers for tomorrow! FOCUS. Need more tea! :tongue: Good luck to you!!! We can do it.

Tea is actually disgusting. I use coke to keep me going till 12am :biggrin: Good luck to you too :smile: I'll be happy if I survive till my last exam on the 15th of June :colone:
Original post by GreenLantern1
For number 2 I would say x=4 but it does look very odd. Have you got a link to these questions or maybe take a picture of the question and upload it so maybe then we would understand it?
I'll do that later if I can. :smile:
Hey :smile: I'll help with literature questions if I can.
1) You don't have to memorise them word for word, but you have to get the general gist of the actual phrase. Off the top of my head I think there was a quote that went like 'the silence came out of the night and invaded the room'. If you put 'the silence came out of the night, invading the room' it would be ok because you would have the general gist of the quote. However I'd try and memorise the full quote rather than making it up as you can analyse the effects of the words better if that makes sense?
2) For the extract question my teacher told us to spend 10 minutes max on it and then move on to the essay question. I think I made like 12 points and wrote a page and a quarter. Try and make as many points as you can because the more points the more marks you'll get :biggrin:
3) I think the first question for the essay was: 'imagine you are Slim and write from his point of view' or something like that. The second question was: 'How does Steinbeck present the theme of friendship in the novel?' I LOVED that question :biggrin:
4) My poetry essay was like 7 pages :smile: My hand was about to drop off at the end of it lol. I didn't count the points I just tried to make as many as I could in the time I had. If I had to guess I would think I made ten points for each poem?
5) My teacher told us to integrate the poems, so I would comment on the theme in one poem and then compare it with the other one. Comparisons between the two poems make up quite a bit of the poetry marks.
6) For the of mice and men essay about friendship I gathered together quotes and then put them into three groups. So in my essay I would have three sections to talk about with specific quotes for each group. IT WORKS :biggrin: I didn't plan for the poetry though cause I thought it would be pointless

Lol is that enough detail? :tongue:

Wow lots of questions there! Ok right here I go...

-For OMAM when I did it we were still allowed the books at the time but for my upcoming ones (Heroes and Inspector Calls) I don't think it matters if you get a word or two wrong. Paraphrase. It would be good to learn a few solid ones or key ones. As my friend here said; write down different themes you think will come up and then write a handful of quotes for each. But I'm sure in my RS I didn't quote the Bible totally accurate but I still got A* :-)
-For the extract questions I basically just wrote down points as they came to me; I went along; noticed something and then wrote about it. I think that is (10) so I wrote 10 points at least.
-Two options were roughly... (though I can't remember 100% it was a while ago)

Write about how the character George develops through the novel OMAM?

&

How does Steinbeck portray the theme of I think it was either something do with loneliness or hopes/dreams... I seriously can not remember deeply sorry.

-My poetry essay wasn't as long as the OMAM because I was running out of time in fact I didn't finish it as well as I wanted I stopped mid-sentence maybe 2 pages and a half.
-I think I described each poem individually and then compared them afterwards; how they each portrayed the subject.
-I did not play I think I might have underlined some things with my pen in the extract and poems to make note that I should mention those things but that was about it.

HOPE THIS HEELPS ~

Cheers for all of that help; I very much appreciate it :awesome:. Do you mind me asking, what were your extract questions?

And if you did like 10 points then how many points were in a paragraph. And how much explanation did you give for those points?

Also, was it always a choice of a character question and a theme question in the exam? I much prefer theme-based questions.

Oh yh and if either of you have a list of quotes for OMAM which you could send me I would very much appreciate it. How many quotes for each character theme did you use?
(edited 12 years ago)
Cheers for all of that help; I very much appreciate it :awesome:. Do you mind me asking, what were your extract questions?

And if you did like 10 points then how many points were in a paragraph. And how much explanation did you give for those points?

That's a good question let me think... I think it was the introduction of Slim or maybe when they were in Crook's hut. My teacher set so many I get muddled up which was the actual exam.... in any case.. the question was then either...

How does Steinbeck introduce the character Slim in the extract?
or
How much does Steinbeck present Crooks and the attitude towards him?

Something like that.

I just found points in the paragraph or made something into a point by thinking of what else it could mean. I just followed PEE

Point
Evidence
Explanation

And then sometimes mentioned parts earlier or later in the book to back it up. e.g "This also links with later on in the book when Slim is the one who is with George at the very end of the novel; supporting him showing authority"

Or something as suchhh :biggrin:
Tea is actually disgusting. I use coke to keep me going till 12am :biggrin: Good luck to you too :smile: I'll be happy if I survive till my last exam on the 15th of June :colone:

15th june :'(

mine is 27th june
That's a good question let me think... I think it was the introduction of Slim or maybe when they were in Crook's hut. My teacher set so many I get muddled up which was the actual exam.... in any case.. the question was then either...

How does Steinbeck introduce the character Slim in the extract?
or
How much does Steinbeck present Crooks and the attitude towards him?

Something like that.

I just found points in the paragraph or made something into a point by thinking of what else it could mean. I just followed PEE

Point
Evidence
Explanation

And then sometimes mentioned parts earlier or later in the book to back it up. e.g "This also links with later on in the book when Slim is the one who is with George at the very end of the novel; supporting him showing authority"

Or something as suchhh :biggrin:

I edited my previous post with a few other questions. Do you mind just looking at those please.

If you were following PEE, how many sentences for a whole point did you have? And also how many points in a paragraph. Was it one short paragraph per point OR one paragraph with a few points that were closely related. How long did you spend on the extract question again?
Original post by amirlad
15th june :'(

mine is 27th june

I actually feel your pain as if it is my own. :frown: My last one is history though which is a right pain up the ass :mad:
I edited my previous post with a few other questions. Do you mind just looking at those please.

If you were following PEE, how many sentences for a whole point did you have? And also how many points in a paragraph. Was it one short paragraph per point OR one paragraph with a few points that were closely related. How long did you spend on the extract question again?

I remember the extract question pretty well :biggrin: It was the bit where George and Lennie go to talk to the boss for the first time and George tries to sell himself and Lennie to the boss, even though Lennie is obviously retarded by saying that Lennie is 'as strong as bull' and the boss squints at em and says 'what you sellin?' The question was how is George presented in this extract?
Like I said I spent roughly ten minutes on this question. I did like three sentences per point, but it dosen't matter how many sentences you do as long as they're good. In a paragraph I did roughly two very close intertwined quotes, but if you have more than two that are closely related to your points then shove em in there :wink:

OK. I can't stay too long I have Chemistry work I need to do!

I did a few points per paragraph if they were closely related or sometimes my points were quite long because I went off on one and they made a whole paragraph to themselves; if I was saying Slim shows authority that is a wide point and I could have a few quotes and then each of those with an explanation to why it shows authority.

There is not always a choice of character/theme sometimes you might have two theme, two characters, a theme and a perspective, a character and perspective; (e.g write from their point of view)

I spent roughly 10-15 mins because you don't have time to waste. I might have spent too long on this that is why I ran out of time at the end.

Here is a lot of info on themes, characters, style etc on OMAM;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/

I advice you check it out it should have some quotes! AGAIN; hope this helps you!! I NEED TO REVISE NOW :colondollar:
I actually feel your pain as if it is my own. :frown: My last one is history though which is a right pain up the ass :mad:

My last one is June 13 but it's Maths and ICT theory on the same day :s-smilie:
My last one is June 13 but it's Maths and ICT theory on the same day :s-smilie:

-______- I thought you had chem hwk to do? lol i gave up with revision an hour ago so I've resorted to reading 'An Inspector calls' and cleaning the kitchen at the same time. Thank god for my multitasking skills :cool:
-______- I thought you had chem hwk to do? lol i gave up with revision an hour ago so I've resorted to reading 'An Inspector calls' and cleaning the kitchen at the same time. Thank god for my multitasking skills :cool:

I do but I get distracted easily and I've been working all day and I'm trying to help GreenLantern1 :biggrin:

OK. I AM WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW...... something about electrolysis... and aluminium... zzzzzzz :argh:
I do but I get distracted easily and I've been working all day and I'm trying to help GreenLantern1 :biggrin:

OK. I AM WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW...... something about electrolysis... and aluminium... zzzzzzz :argh:

Lol I will try to bother you no more today. See you tomorrow :wink:

You didn't need to help GreenLantern1 cause I was helping him/her :cool: Lol I joke. Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee you're working on your chem. I also love chemistry and electrolysis :smile: I did that exam last year in june. Something about cathodes and anodes and electrons being taken away? I don't envy you! :wink:
Reply 5978
Thursday 10th May. What about you?

11th May!!!
Reply 5979
Kicking myself here. Haven't done any revision all weekend and I have first 5 hours of my art exam this week AND 3 science mocks grr, gonna go revise in a min

Latest