The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL VS Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mansun
J Nottingham definitely saw the greed of dollar bills in their eyes after doubling student places, but at least they have invested some of the increased revenue in the new Vet School (2006) and the campuses in China and Malaysia.

I'm sorry - but what is that about, if not generating more money?

I love Nottingham's Trent Building in this video, it rivals anything UCL has.

That's really, really reaching to compare what the buildings look like.

If you're going to do that, I'd like to nominate the Lasagne at the Print Room Cafe as better pasta than anything available at Nottingham.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Mansun
Just alright? A Russell Group heavyweight with the fifth most research funding received from industry, and ranked 7th in the 2008 RAE assessment. I remember the days when Nottingham was always in the Times top 10 rankings in the 90s. The expansion of the uni has diluted quality a bit, mainly too much teaching in overcrowded lecture halls, and far less seminars and tutorials than UCL perhaps. Nottingham definitely saw the greed of dollar bills in their eyes after doubling student places, but at least they have invested some of the increased revenue in the new Vet School (2006) and the campuses in China and Malaysia.

[video="youtube;2jAbWws842E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAbWws842E[/video]

I love Nottingham's Trent Building in this video, it rivals anything UCL has.

It may have been a top 10, but it's completely unknown abroad. And IMO, UCL's Portico > gap > Trent Building. But of course, an university isn't made by buildings, so discussing buildings is almost completely useless when it comes to qualify an university.
Reply 22
Original post by Clip
I'm sorry - but what is that about, if not generating more money?

That's really, really reaching to compare what the buildings look like.

If you're going to do that, I'd like to nominate the Lasagne at the Print Room Cafe as better pasta than anything available at Nottingham.

The new campuses were of course built to make more money, and to add a broader international profile for Nottingham.

Comparing uni buildings is fine, I have seen those of UCL and the main building is also very grand. People frequently compare Oxbridge buildings, Cambridge just gets the nod between these, but very little in it as both are strikingly pretty unis.
As UCL is such a high uni, wouldn't there be more stress and pressure? Idk Both are impressive
Reply 24
Original post by MichelBraga
It may have been a top 10, but it's completely unknown abroad. And IMO, UCL's Portico > gap > Trent Building. But of course, an university isn't made by buildings, so discussing buildings is almost completely useless when it comes to qualify an university.

Nottingham unknown abroad? Maybe in some parts of the world like the USA and Russia, but it is obviously known in China and South East Asia. Certainly more known there than many UK unis.

I think many students chose a uni for the pretty buildings once the most important factors in the decision making are out of the way (reputation, tradition, location, cultural fit, grades required etc). I did not imply buildings is the primary factor, otherwise there would be Oxbridge rejects queuing up to go to Greenwich uni.
Reply 25
Original post by Mansun
The new campuses were of course built to make more money, and to add a broader international profile for Nottingham.

Not really. The first universities to go out East were the rubbish ones. It didn't give them a better profile, did it? No-one says "That Middlesex must be excellent, they have a campus in Malaysia"

Comparing uni buildings is fine, I have seen those of UCL and the main building is also very grand. People frequently compare Oxbridge buildings, Cambridge just gets the nod between these, but very little in it as both are strikingly pretty unis.

Who cares? I'd give a similar comparison to above. No-one cares when the low-end universities have nice campuses, do they?
Reply 26

Nottingham unknown abroad? Maybe in some parts of the world like the USA and Russia, but it is obviously known in China and South East Asia. Certainly more known there than many UK unis.

I think many students choose a uni for the pretty buildings once the most important factors in the decision making are out of the way (reputation, tradition, location, cultural fit, grades required etc). I did not imply buildings is the primary factor, otherwise there would be Oxbridge rejects queuing up to go to Greenwich uni. No offence to Greenwich, it is beautiful, and a great option if you don't fancy Luton or Teeside.

I am of the view many 17-18 year olds on TSR don't know much about UK unis other than what they read in media league tables, and from what they see during visits to a handful of unis. I graduated in 2005, and from my experiences post graduation (and 5 blue chip firm jobs later), I can say Nottingham is regarded as good as the likes of Edinburgh, Bath, York, Manchester etc, and just a whisker behind Durham, Bristol, Warwick, UCL. I don't think St Andrews is ahead of most Russell Group unis personally, and I have rarely heard it brought up in the business world. It is just behind Edinburgh, but just ahead of Glasgow in the pecking order. Sadly, media rankings get ignored in the real world, only students seem to follow them or respect them. They are woefully flawed and irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by ImagineCats
As UCL is such a high uni, wouldn't there be more stress and pressure? Idk Both are impressive

To be frank, getting into any Russell Group uni, and many outside the group (St Andrews, Bath, Royal Holloway etc) is a grand achievement, and exciting for the prospective student during uni and after graduation. It certainly opens lots of new doors in the business world, and in academia.

I don't know whether exams are harder at UCL than other top unis, my guess is that standards would be just as rigorous at any Russell Group uni generally. Oxbridge has always been the exception though, and Imperial and LSE may well have tougher exams from the gossip I have heard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
To be frank, getting into any Russell Group uni, and many outside the group (St Andrews, Bath, Royal Holloway etc) is a grand achievement, and exciting for the prospective student during uni and after graduation. It certainly opens lots of new doors in the business world, and in academia.

I don't know whether exams are harder at UCL than other top unis, my guess is that standards would be just as rigorous at any Russell Group uni generally. Oxbridge has always been the exception though, and Imperial and LSE may well have tougher exams from the gossip I have heard.

I assure you, Nottingham is completely unknown in the US and South America, even Europe. Don't know about its reputation in Asia tho.

Getting into UCL is extremely difficult in general, in pair with LSE and Imperial. If you consider the low applicant per place ratio in Oxbridge, those 3 unis are the most disputed and rigorous to get a place in the UK.

The question posed by the OP is simple, which one is better. So wasting time trying to point out values like buildings and the reputation in the 90s is worthless to help him. Nottingham is surely a fine institution, but it can't compete with UCL. Therefore, UCL > Nottingham. You can argue that it is much cheaper to study at Nottingham, but regarding prestige, academia and resources, UCL is the best option.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
I assure you, Nottingham is completely unknown in the US and South America, even Europe. Don't know about its reputation in Asia tho.

Getting into UCL is extremely difficult in general, in pair with LSE and Imperial. If you consider the low applicant per place ratio in Oxbridge, those 3 unis are the most disputed and rigorous to get a place in the UK.

The question posed by the OP is simple, which one is better. So wasting time trying to point out values like buildings and the reputation in the 90s is worthless to help him. Nottingham is surely a fine institution, but it can't compete with UCL. Therefore, UCL > Nottingham. You can argue that it is much cheaper to study at Nottingham, but regarding prestige, academia and resources, UCL is the best option.

I don't dispute UCL has the edge traditionally, I was offered a place at UCL for Biotechnology in 2002 but turned it down for Biochemistry at Nottingham, I just could not think how I could afford the rent and travel costs if I chose UCL. Also many of my hall mates also rejected UCL and Imperial as they felt these unis were like 40-50% flooded with South East Asians, meaning a cultural fit was hard to envisage.

As I mentioned above, UCL has always been a whisker better over the decades, it is genuinely the 5th best uni in the UK, but it is just a notch below Imperial and LSE, with Oxbridge further head still. Just keep it in perspective, Nottingham is only marginally behind on UCL, and in the job market a graduate would be equally in demand.

MichelBraga, I am 30 (how old are you?). I have been around a long time, and have seen many graduates from top unis succeed and fail in the business and academic world. Just dont get too hooked up on Rankings, they are worthless (Malcolm Grant ex-Vice Chancellor of UCL said so himself). UCL is well known in South East Asia, China, Hong Kong etc, but not in most continents, and certainly not in the USA. LSE is known very well everywhere, including the USA.

What is more, many foreign students just google unis in London, then check the rankings, and then choose UCL blindly. I have heard this time and time again, as a student, after graduation, and during my days in business.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I don't dispute UCL has the edge traditionally, I was offered a place at UCL for Biotechnology in 2002 but turned it down for Biochemistry at Nottingham, I just could not think how I could afford the rent and travel costs if I chose UCL. Also many of my hall mates also rejected UCL and Imperial as they felt these unis were like 40-50% flooded with South East Asians, meaning a cultural fit was hard to envisage.

As I mentioned above, UCL has always been a whisker better over the decades, is is genuinely the 5th best uni in the UK, but it is just a notch below Imperial and LSE, with Oxbridge further head still. Just keep it in perspective, Nottingham is only marginally behind on UCL, and in the job market a graduate would be equally in demand.

Well, I don't have stats or data to prove you wrong, but my overall perception is really different from yours. UCL is the third best multi faculty uni in the UK (even overcoming Oxford in a few subjects), and considering all high education institutions, it would be the 4th, ahead of LSE (LSE is better in only a few subjects, UCL Law department is better than the LSE one, the same goes for Public Policy, Anthropology, ...).

So the real gap is between the G5 and the rest of the country. The only uni outside of it that shows some real effort and quality to join those 5 is Warwick. The rest can't be compared to. You can say that Nottingham prospects are as good as UCL, that's perfectly fine, but if you place a UCL grad and Nottingham grad in the same interview, the UCL grad will have the advantage. I could go much further with this, but this kind of discussion doesn't add anything to our lifes. Both unis are great, and that's what matters. In the end, no matter which one, most students will do fine.
Reply 31
Well, I don't have stats or data to prove you wrong, but my overall perception is really different from yours. UCL is the third best multi faculty uni in the UK (even overcoming Oxford in a few subjects), and considering all high education institutions, it would be the 4th, ahead of LSE (LSE is better in only a few subjects, UCL Law department is better than the LSE one, the same goes for Public Policy, Anthropology, ...).

So the real gap is between the G5 and the rest of the country. The only uni outside of it that shows some real effort and quality to join those 5 is Warwick. The rest can't be compared to. You can say that Nottingham prospects are as good as UCL, that's perfectly fine, but if you place a UCL grad and Nottingham grad in the same interview, the UCL grad will have the advantage. I could go much further with this, but this kind of discussion doesn't add anything to our lifes. Both unis are great, and that's what matters. In the end, no matter which one, most students will do fine.

UCL graduates with a 1st in Physics would not be in more demand than a Notts graduate with the same. It doesn't work like that when you have graduates being picked by the top drawer employers from a pool of 20 top unis (mostly Russell Group). There is a bias with Oxbridge though, as the law profession produces around a half of all lawyers from there. But plenty of Oxbridge graduates remain on the dole 1-2 years after graduating due to the fierce competition in a weak economy.

In my experience, graduates from weaker unis like Brunel and London South Bank do quite well and get graduate jobs quickly due to the industrial placements they do during their degree. They also set their sights a bit lower on where they want to work (Nestle, Casio, Glaxosmithkline, Tesco) than many top graduates who only aim for Goldman Sachs and the equiavalent and then wonder why they keep getting rejected after a 100 applications.
UCL > Nottingham. UCL is a great university, I went there for a summer school and the place was amazing.
Reply 33
Original post by DylanJ96
UCL > Nottingham. UCL is a great university, I went there for a summer school and the place was amazing.

If you can afford London, and get the grades, and can handle the classes excessively flooded with students mostly from Asia, go for it. If not, choose Notingham or Durham, or Edinburgh.
Original post by Mansun
It isn't just about the overall reputation. UCL has the edge, but not by much as Nottingham has always been a solid alternative to Oxbridge, and has a really pretty campus that will spellbind anyone once they visit for themselves. The fact is, many English students will not want to go to UCL because they currently live too close to Central London to make it worthwhile, they don't fancy the enormous rent bills and travel costs of London, or they just don't want to be at a Uni which has as many foreign students as it does English students. A lot of students I met at Nottingham rejected UCL & Imperial for that very reason, they didn't think these unis offered a good cultural fit. Nottingham, Durham, Exeter etc seemed more of a better fit people wise.

UCL is simply on another level. Nottingham is alright tho.

Are you aware this thread is like 2 years old? :tongue:
Original post by Mansun
If you can afford London, and get the grades, and can handle the classes excessively flooded with students mostly from Asia, go for it. If not, choose Notingham or Durham, or Edinburgh.

I've already chosen Newcastle and got an offer but I did apply to Edinburgh though. I was going to apply for Nottingham actually but decided to apply for Newcastle instead. London is really expensive though!
Reply 36
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Are you aware this thread is like 2 years old? :tongue:

Yes, but if you meddle in the affairs of unis with tradition (UCL 1828) and reputation (Notts & UCL), then you must be prepared to think of such thngs, be subtle and not be too quick to anger.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
I've already chosen Newcastle and got an offer but I did apply to Edinburgh though. I was going to apply for Nottingham actually but decided to apply for Newcastle instead. London is really expensive though!

If I could do it all again, I would choose Edinburgh first choice (best uni buildings ever and great 14th Century tradition), Durham second (just gets the nod over my beloved Nottingham due to extra tradition). UCL is just too damn expensive, and I don't think I would want a lecture theatre with 40-50% SE Asians with little command of English for company. Had it been 10-20% then no probs, I like diversity but not excessively.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
If I could do it all again, I would choose Edinburgh first choice (best uni buildings ever), Durham second (just gets the nod over my beloved Nottingham due to extra tradition). UCL is just too damn expensive, and I don't think I would want a lecture theatre with 40-50% SE Asians with little command of English for company. Had it been 10-20% then no probs, I like diversity but not excessively.

I don't live too far away from Edinburgh so I've been to the university loads and you're right, it's beautiful as well as being in a beautiful city. It was just a little too close to home for me. I love the liberal and multicultural vibe UCL has, it has a progressive and cosmopolitan feeling that I don't think you can find at any other universities of similar rank. I applied for Newcastle, Edinburgh, Bristol and Goldsmiths and decided to go to Newcastle but if I could apply again then I'd apply to Kings.
Reply 39
I don't live too far away from Edinburgh so I've been to the university loads and you're right, it's beautiful as well as being in a beautiful city. It was just a little too close to home for me. I love the liberal and multicultural vibe UCL has, it has a progressive and cosmopolitan feeling that I don't think you can find at any other universities of similar rank. I applied for Newcastle, Edinburgh, Bristol and Goldsmiths and decided to go to Newcastle but if I could apply again then I'd apply to Kings.

Kings has a lovely site in Holborn, but not so good at Waterloo (it is dire by KCL standards). I guess the subject you are doing also matters in terms of where you end up.

Newcastle is an odd one, it seems like a uni rarely discussed in the business world, only ever come across two Newcastle graduates in my life, and that is very low compared to other unis like Leeds, KCL, Edinburgh etc. Still a solid top 20 uni though, just not my cup of tea as a City.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending