The Student Room Group

What's it like to live in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Id and Ego seek
What the actual ****.

During his five years spent living in Portsmouth he had limited romantic success. A moving to London 2 years ago either occasioned or merely coincided with an upturn in romantic fortunes, and this to the extent that he is now perceived even as Brad Pitt might be. For this reason, he is positively inclined toward London.
Alienating, lonely, stressful, scary, constantly looking over your shoulder at night...

But it's worth it to go to a good university and get a great degree and graduate job.

There is always something to do here and a diverse bunch of people.

Every city has pros and cons.
Reply 22
Having only been on holiday there, I can't speak to this topic too much. However, the people that seem to be running about the crime should note that I grew up and lived in Chicago in the states and from what I have read, seen and experienced in London, it isn't that bad.

There are areas of Chicago that you will quite simply be killed for going into if you shouldn't be there.

So I would say, don't let crime be your main indicator. If you are a smart city dweller, ie: take transportation, don't walk down alleys so drunk you can't see your hands, get a secure place to live with a working door lock, you aren't at any more risk than anyone else of a random criminal encounter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
High crime rate doesn't bother me, I've lived in rough parts of Liverpool before and there's crime everywhere. I just don't want to go to UCL and be miserable! I'm going to the open day to check it out
Reply 24
Original post by Lilli1994

Okay, so I believe that a major part of the university experience is the city you are living in. Can't decide whether I want to go to Newcastle or UCL... Newcastle looks amazing with the nightlife and all that and it's apparently a similar city to Liverpool (where I live) but I would love to live in London! So if anyone is studying in London or goes to UCL, what's the nightlife like, freshers week, etc etc :smile:

Haven't been to Newcastle so I can't comment on that city but I have lived in many places across the UK including London. At first I couldn't get my head around London because its not really got one centre but many, many of them. That means it takes longer to orientate yourself and work out 'your' places. However being at uni should mean that process is made a bit easier. I didn't like the fact that despite the good tube network I always seemed to be miles from where I wanted to be when I finally emerged... ie London involved lots of walking. It is buzzy though and full of things to do but I like art galleries and museums a lot so my view is biased. Bit expensive. Maybe if you have the chance to live in your capital city for a while in life its an opportunity to take.... plus the rep of the university is higher.

As for night life stuff I can honestly say that I've had a great time with night life wherever I've lived (except North Devon maybe:frown:. )In cities without many clubs people tend to have house parties etc. Newcastle looks very interesting.

I left the midlands to go to London and I have to say it was a culture shock at first... the people were ruder, less helpful, less social, self-engrossed, arrogant and less generous with money.... I've got used to it now and I'm probably just like them (Argggh) However as you're from the North be warned... it'd be one reason I would consider Newcastle instead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
During his five years spent living in Portsmouth he had limited romantic success. A moving to London 2 years ago either occasioned or merely coincided with an upturn in romantic fortunes, and this to the extent that he is now perceived even as Brad Pitt might be. For this reason, he is positively inclined toward London.

Haha.

Fabulous translation (Y)
I would strongly advise you to take the chance to live in London. It's one of the most exciting cities in the world. I've lived here since September and I don't regret it at all, and I'm in the 'rough' part! (I'm at QMUL in East London as opposed to UCL and Bloomsbury) I haven't personally seen a massive difference in costs, as long as you're careful and drink before you go out, oh, and shop at Supermarkets. If anything the travel can be cheaper than some parts of the country. There is always something to do, there are things to cater to every taste. If you want to live in London then definitely do it!
Reply 27
Okay, so I believe that a major part of the university experience is the city you are living in. Can't decide whether I want to go to Newcastle or UCL... Newcastle looks amazing with the nightlife and all that and it's apparently a similar city to Liverpool (where I live) but I would love to live in London! So if anyone is studying in London or goes to UCL, what's the nightlife like, freshers week, etc etc :smile:

I'm currently first year in London and I've loved every minute of it so far. It's not actually as expensive as you might think. Yes, the accommodation's very pricey, but after that it's fairly easy to live off a relatively small budget (as long as you're reasonably sensible.)

The nightlife's great, no matter what night of the week you want to go out there's guaranteed to be something on that takes your fancy. I see you've got a few comments saying London's dangerous, but if you stick to main roads when you're walking, especially at night there'll be no problems whatsoever. Walking down some dodgy looking alleyway on the other hand, well that's just sheer stupidity....

So yeah, in summary It's probably been the best few months of my life. Have you visited UCL yet? Perhaps walking around the campus and surrounding area might give you an idea of whether you'd like to live there or not. If you have any other questions about London feel free to ask :smile:
I have to say that the main reason why I am hesitant to firm KCL is because I'm not certain that I can hack living in London (even though I spend a lot of time there and like it). Not necessarily because of the media frenzy surrounding crime rates but because I feel as though everything is very compartmentalised and living there could maybe lead to isolation because there are just THAT many people (if that makes any sense whatsoever). I think I might miss the feeling of vastness that you often get in other places. That and the sky high costs of living. I'm probably being unreasonable though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dbrown18
Whats it like to live in london? After 18 years, i cant wait to leave. Thats what its like to live in london :smile:

In all seriousness. In terms of student life, i dont know, but id imagine it be pretty good as theres tons of clubs in central and the suburbs aswell. Londons expensive. Very expensive. And its a dangerous place tbh, or atleast many parts of it are dangerous if youre not careful.

That said, i imagine everywhere has its bad ends. Londons decent. But i personally find it expensive, over-rated and a bit dangerous. But im bias i suppose, living here all my life.

lol, I completely agree with all of this.
Reply 30
Can't imagine anything more grim than living in Newcastle. Saying "us" instead of me, "like" after each sentence urgh. London is a no brainer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by seans443
I'm currently first year in London and I've loved every minute of it so far. It's not actually as expensive as you might think. Yes, the accommodation's very pricey, but after that it's fairly easy to live off a relatively small budget (as long as you're reasonably sensible.)

The nightlife's great, no matter what night of the week you want to go out there's guaranteed to be something on that takes your fancy. I see you've got a few comments saying London's dangerous, but if you stick to main roads when you're walking, especially at night there'll be no problems whatsoever. Walking down some dodgy looking alleyway on the other hand, well that's just sheer stupidity....

So yeah, in summary It's probably been the best few months of my life. Have you visited UCL yet? Perhaps walking around the campus and surrounding area might give you an idea of whether you'd like to live there or not. If you have any other questions about London feel free to ask :smile:

Okay I have a few more questions :smile:...
At University, did you find it hard to make friends and is it more communal?
Are southerners biased towards northeners (I've heard they are hahaha couldn't imagine why!)
And no i havent visted UCL yet... going on the fourth of July to have a look!
Reply 32
Original post by Wave
Sheep shagging and coal mining is just not my thing. Sorry :smile:

I cannot stand people who insult anyone who is from outside of London
Reply 33
Original post by Samdude
I cannot stand people who insult anyone who is from outside of London

Yeah me too bro.
Reply 34
Original post by Wave
Yeah me too bro.

Why are you so full of crap? Its people like you why i cant wait to leave london :rolleyes:
London's without a doubt the best city in the world. Also, unlike the rest of country, it's not chav-infested!

Nightlife rocks! The best of the best. You have dozens of cheap and expensive clubs with different styles of music. People is so friendly at clubs and flirts with girls... :colondollar:
London is expensive but it can be cheap at food (tesco smartprice stuff) at transport (students get 30% discount) at accommodation (affordable places in zone 2 and house-sharing is a nice choice).
London is a poly-faced city.
Come!
Okay I have a few more questions :smile:...
At University, did you find it hard to make friends and is it more communal?
Are southerners biased towards northeners (I've heard they are hahaha couldn't imagine why!)
And no i havent visted UCL yet... going on the fourth of July to have a look!

UCL rocks! I studied at UL and I always pass by UCL.
Reply 38
Original post by Dbrown18
Why are you so full of crap? Its people like you why i cant wait to leave london :rolleyes:

It's one of the most amazing places in the world, but it's also really, really lonely.

For me anyway!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending