The Student Room Group

Studying in london

hi! i'm interested in studying at SOAS this year, however im kinda concerned about the cost of living in general, especially in london !! I've heard accommodation is not always at a good standard especially for how expensive it is, although I know you may get a bigger loan bc its london. anyone have any advice? do you think its worth studying in london in 2024?? do you think things will things get better, or worse when it comes to living there? any answers appreciated! <3
Original post by moopyxo
hi! i'm interested in studying at SOAS this year, however im kinda concerned about the cost of living in general, especially in london !! I've heard accommodation is not always at a good standard especially for how expensive it is, although I know you may get a bigger loan bc its london. anyone have any advice? do you think its worth studying in london in 2024?? do you think things will things get better, or worse when it comes to living there? any answers appreciated! <3

I think the accomadation is definitely something to consider but my understanding is it's really expensive everywhere and becoming difficult everywhere so id say pretty similar experience in many cities so if the course and uni are for you you'll make it work!
Hi there,

Studying in London and considering the cost of living are serious decisions so it is best to be prepared.

The average student living costs can reach £1,500 per month, this includes rent (usually the largest expense), transport, groceries, food, entertainemnt and other expenses. Additionally, it's true that accommodation quality and standars may vary, so it would be best to research the available student housing, including housing offered by the university as well as private rentals.

If you're worried about expenses, you can always apply for a maintenance loan to study in London. This loan helps with living costs and is paid directly into your bank account at the beginning of each term. However, the exact amount depends on your family income and other factors.

Remember that London offers unique exepriences and provides access to diverse cultures, industries, academics and people, so whether it's worth it depends on your personal and professional goals. Also it's important to stay on top of economic trends and potential changes in the market or student support services.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by moopyxo

@moopyxo

The population in London is growing. It's around 8 million people now and there is a housing shortage, so things are not likely to become cheaper any time soon. SOAS will be able to advise you about looking for and getting accommodation in London and you may be able to talk to current students on open days to find out how they've managed with accommodation in London.

If you always wanted to live in London, and you love the course at SOAS then this might be a great opportunity to pursue your dream. If you are not so interested in the course at SOAS and money is a big factor for you with university and there are other places you would also be quite happy to go to, then it might be worth pursuing them, rather than feeling stressed about money.

In short, don't let money stop you doing what you want to do, but also have realistic expectations about managing your finances.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by moopyxo

Hi the cost of living and studying in London can be daunting but there's loads of creative ways you can be resourceful and still enjoy yourself. Opting for SOAS specific halls at Dinwiddy House means your accommodation is £230 a week. You can also keep track of spending habits and budget via Monzo, meal prepping for the week, using student discount friendly nights out, cafes, restaurants and shops and apps like Unidays and Student Beans. There's also loads of free things to do around London like the British Museum, The Victoria & Albert Museum in Kensington and Chelsea and free rooftops like Sky Garden, Horizon 22. You can also save money by walking everywhere in London or getting the bus/tube with a student oyster. And you can do part-time work during your degree. For example, SOAS offers students the chance to become a Student Ambassador where you can work at a variety of shifts during the year depending on your avaliability and earn £15 an hour. Here's more ideas on our student blog https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/blog/cost-living-my-advice-saving-money-student-london

Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic & IR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending