The Student Room Group

Cold sore or just a small pimple on my lip?

Hey,

Thought I would do this post as I'm quite confused.

Late last night, well early this morning, I noticed my top lip being really sore and quite tender. I thought nothing more of it, until I looked in the mirror and noticed a little eruption. I thought hmmm ok, so dabbed TCP on it and went to bed. Woke up this morning to find the little blighter is still present, so I took to squeezing it, see what would come out and dabbin TCP on it.

It's really annoying more than anything, but also quite sore when I touch it! I am quite prone to getting spots on my lip line, which I squeeze and then dab TCP on it. But this one doesn't seem to be playing ball, which has now made me think ''Is this a cold sore?'' I've never had one, so I don't know what the heck it is. :/ All I can say is that it's quite tiny, doesn't look like (going by google images) the big cold sores that erupt, but it's sore and I look liked I've had fillers that haven't settled! :/

Any info, advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I know you say you haven't had a cold sore before but I suspect you'd know if you did because they do look quite different from spots from what I've seen on others. It's probably just a stubborn spot. I get those sometimes too and they are painful :sadnod: Hormones can cause stubborn spots in my experience (when I'm coming on my period that's when I get really stubborn and painful spots on my face)
Original post by Sazzy890
I know you say you haven't had a cold sore before but I suspect you'd know if you did because they do look quite different from spots from what I've seen on others. It's probably just a stubborn spot. I get those sometimes too and they are painful :sadnod: Hormones can cause stubborn spots in my experience (when I'm coming on my period that's when I get really stubborn and painful spots on my face)

I went to my local supermarket (as they have a chemist), and I asked the pharmacist, and he said it's not a cold sore! :/ Told me to layer vaseline, keep it moisturised and stop playing it! :ninjagirl: lol. As for hormones, it might be as I've not had a period in over a year, but I noticed weird things happening last week, so I think it's trying to 'reboot', and the one thing I get hammered with round time of the month = zits! Think if I see no improvement tomorrow, going to try some cold sore stuff, and see if it works - no harm in trying I guess? lol :dontknow: lol:tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by DancinBallerina
I went to my local supermarket (as they have a chemist), and I asked the pharmacist, and he said it's not a cold sore! :/ Told me to layer vaseline, keep it moisturised and stop playing it! :ninjagirl: lol. As for hormones, it might be as I've not had a period in over a year, but I noticed weird things happening last week, so I think it's trying to 'reboot', and the one thing I get hammered with round time of the month = zits! Think if I see no improvement tomorrow, going to try some cold sore stuff, and see if it works - no harm in trying I guess? lol :dontknow: lol:tongue:

If a doctor says it isn't a cold sore I don't think you should waste money and effort on trying cold sore stuff. I do disagree with the doctor saying to layer the spot with vaseline though. Whenever I have put vaseline on it has blocked my pores up even more and caused more spots :afraid:
Original post by Sazzy890
If a doctor says it isn't a cold sore I don't think you should waste money and effort on trying cold sore stuff. I do disagree with the doctor saying to layer the spot with vaseline though. Whenever I have put vaseline on it has blocked my pores up even more and caused more spots :afraid:

The pharmacist say to leave it, so I have. I went to the Dr this morning (for a different matter), and I mentioned this and he said no it's not and told me leave it alone. So I just done that, left it alone. It's not as painful now (not surprised with the amount of crap I put on it yesterday :ninjagirl:, but it's going down a little and hopefully will be ok.

As for the vaseline, yes I wasn't keen on that suggestion, so decided not to bother, but used beeswax insteadl; Burt's Bees (amazing stuff). Works a treat and is amazing :smile:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest