The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My step mum works with dementia patients and she's on close to £50,000 a year but it will go up to over £60,000 when she gets promoted :smile:
Reply 2
My guess is the clinical psychologists who deal with the rich/celebs etc...
Reply 3
Like you said it depends on geographical area, type of service, position etc. I imagine private work pays more than NHS work, but you get pay increments for every year worked in the NHS so it can increase pretty substantially.

The other thing is that CPs working in the NHS will often take on additional/different roles which incorporate a management, strategic or director-type capacity which usually provides a salary increase.

Then you have research psychologists who again may work for universities, NHS or private companies and this varies as well.

You can also have income through publications (normally books) or training development/provision and teaching which varies again.
Reply 4
working with children or adults? that narrows it down... :wink:

occupational psychology is probably where the most money is.
thats funny. Psychologists want to maximise their incomes when their paid to deal with peoples problems. The root of most problems is money. How ironic.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates
thats funny. Psychologists want to maximise their incomes when their paid to deal with peoples problems. The root of most problems is money. How ironic.

How is money the root of most problems?
Original post by Horatio-
How is money the root of most problems?

The proof is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by matthew769
The proof is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Thanks. That explains everything
If its pure earning potential Occupational psychologists get paid far more than other types of psychologists. They mainly work for the private sector, and if they have a good reputation they can charge whatever they like.

Counselling and clinical psychologists get paid roughly equivalent (Check NHS agenda for Change Bands 7-9), forensic a little less. Academic psychologists tend to be paid the least (unless professors) due to the ways universities are run, but it can be quite variable depending on the working conditions of the job.

The areas I'm interested in is working with children, adults, or neuropsychology.

These are all under clinical psychology (or counselling psych potentially), pay is standardised over the specialities, as they are assessed according to seniority and responsibility rather than domain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I got told by a psychologist that sports psychologists are normally paid more than most other types of psychologists. I guess because they work in the private sector, rather than the public sector.

TV psychologist i guess:smile:
Reply 12
I suppose sports psychologists are really an offshoot of occupational psychologists as they're interested in the performance of people in their 'work.'
Reply 13
Original post by TobeTheHero

TV psychologist i guess:smile:

your sig made me laugh out loud :biggrin:
Original post by yaymeg
your sig made me laugh out loud :biggrin:

you're welcome:hat2:
Reply 15
Thanks guys ^^
I would say on average, clinical psychs, but occupational psychs probably have a better shot of pushing >£50k
I've read about Forensic Psychologists reaching 75k.
'...an average forensic psychologist (not psychiatrist) makes around 75,000 - 125,000 a year - at least in the state of California.'
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I've read about Forensic Psychologists reaching 75k.
'...an average forensic psychologist (not psychiatrist) makes around 75,000 - 125,000 a year - at least in the state of California.'

Forensic psychs get peanuts in the UK. Private sector is where it's at, brah.
Reply 19
ones who own private and well respected practices [especially in america] can be earning in the hundreds of thousands a year from what ive heard but as you said it varies MASSIVELY

Latest